Author Topic: New to bubbaing/ Stock questions.  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Sword of Симонова

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
New to bubbaing/ Stock questions.
« on: December 20, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
So I just got into a Norinco 56. Some numbers match. Question one does any modification constitute it being a bubba gun? It shoots well has a great Barrel and functionaly seems great. The stock is loose as ever, is it considered bubbaing if i swaped stocks and added a PU scope to stay close to era correct.I Follow a Russian SKS page on VK  and they do similar often and they look great! Has anyone tried the TimberSmith Monte Carlo laminated stock? Or any of the LuckyShot wood stocks? Just trying to develop a good little hunting rifle.
Torn between Bubba/ Not Bubba

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: New to bubbaing/ Stock questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 09:35:52 PM »
I'm sure everyone has a slightly different opinion. I'm on the purist end of the spectrum. To me, irreversible modifications define a firearm that has been Bubba'd. For example, drilling the receiver for a scope mount, refinishing the original stock and/or handguard, or discarding or selling off matching pieces (like the magazine or receiver cover). 

Replacing a stock, handguard or magazine (while retaining the originals) is not usually my thing, but fits in the category of "reversible modifications". If you keep the original components near the gun it can be restored to original.  Personally, I've avoided even reversible modifications on all but one of my milsurps (a Type 56 in a "jungle" stock).

We have people who modify their SKSs here, so it's a personal preference. I try to just not comment if I don't like it  rofl

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 11:55:58 PM »
I have all reversible modifications to make my SKSs more practical to shoot and hunt with.I have a Labanu Sporter model carbine with a traditional style Lucky Shot stock in cherry as the original thumbhole stock is essentially unshootable and very uncomfortable,although it does look good.My hunting rifle is a standard Type 56 in a Choate conventional synthetic stock for a great cheek weld and longer length of pull,recoil pad,swivels etc, and it has a rear peep sight and pinned three slot brake and a synthetic silent sling and a 5 shot stop in the magazine.All the original removed parts are put away.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 12:44:33 AM »
Replacing a faulty, but original stock... not bubba, but a rescue. Keep the stock, enjoy and be able to return to original.
Replacing a faulty, not original stock... not bubba, but a rescue.  Sell the stock, enjoy a functional stock instead.

Adding a mount that shouldn't be on an SKS....bubba, no matter if it might have been correct for a gun from it's country, rarely is it correct for an SKS.

I prefer to take any non matching, bubba featured SKS back to as close to proper as possible. THEN, considering it won't every be right...I will entertain an awful lot of modification because the aftermarket stuff is there....and some of it doesn't suck. Oft though...the restoration to original as possible will feel better.

Permanent mods that involve drilling holes or modifying original parts...totally bubba...and irreversible. Not necessarily a transgression unless you are permanently ruining a numbers matching original gun.

Non original doesn't mean bubba...necessarily. Yet it is another SKS living to fight another day.

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 08:44:40 AM »
So as far as I have checked the numbers it is numbers matching. Is that rare? My mind is torn between permanent scope mount mods and non permanent. I just want repeatability without having to resight every time I clean it.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
Matching isn’t rare but certainly less common and definitely more collectible.

Just my opinion, but if you bought a 3-4 moa SKS for coyote hunting out to 300 yards (9-12” groups) I’m not sure you have the right tool for the job, solid scope mount or not. I suppose people who hand load and spend a lot of trigger time with that one tuned SKS (like the trigger job you mentioned) could maybe get consistent 2 moa groups.

If you want a semiautomatic hunting rifle for small game or pests, an AR with an easily mounted optic would be a lot less hassle and more accurate but I’m getting off topic and probably into unwelcome advice territory  rofl

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »
P32 is usually dead on to my views when it comes to opinions on *never* Bubba'ing a gun.  This may be one of the rare exceptions where I'm a bit more 'progressive' and could see it bubba'd though.  Your 11 mil /26\ one of the likely 400+k built in 1966 which was the absolute zenith of Chinese T56 production, so not rare by serial # by any stretch of the imagination.  If it is all matching down to the stock, that is certainly a consideration as I'd say less than 50% of the Albanian imports come that way.  Even then, all matching as-issued Chinese are not rare at all.  They are uncommon and may cost a premium, but they can certainly be found.  Condition-wise, the gun is not in the upper 25% of Chinese type 56s so again not rare by that metric.  So bubba'ing this gun is not taking some rare gem out of circulation.

Having said that, personally, I would never permanently bubba an all-matching gun of any kind irregardless of year or condition.  I would seek out a gun from a common year in avg. condition that is already non matching and go to town on it and either keep this one as a collectable or sell it to someone who would.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
I hesitated to weigh in as we make "adapters" for the SKS rifle platform to run hi-cap mags. Having said that, our products do not require "permanent" modifications. One exception is the G9. The trigger "tangs" need to be shortened for the spine of the mag to clear and the stocks magwell opened up for the adapter to fit. The 10 round mag will still function as original. I have made "permanent" mods to my SKS. Shortened the barrel on a Yugo and removed the 'nade launcher, drilled and tapped the left side of the receiver for a scope mount. The rest are in stock condition. Whatever you decide is up o you. It IS your rifle.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »
I am shooting better than 2Moa at this point open sights so I think its a good option, I also do handload. If its not rare then It seems not to be super worth saving. I would rather use it. I plan to keep The magazine stock it looks nice an mild. I like the SKS for it’s more traditional appearance not saying I don’t like AK’s just don’t want to be bothered by anyone.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »
How tight is your receiver cover?  There are super cheap weaver mounts you can epoxy to the cover if it holds still...if you want to revert to original, a blow torch will remove it.  They provide the absolute lowest mounting, which is usually an issue to scope an SKS, most everything makes them ride a little higher than one would like, and it requires less adjustment.

There are also less destructive mounts like the MagWedge, which you remove your rear sight leaf and your takedown lever...and can revert back to original fairly easily.
I looked a few days ago, and their earlier generation mount is on clearance.  I haven't used one, but I have heard good things. They also act as a shell deflector, so your scope options are a bit broader. Downside...no stripper clips, although they do have a far more expensive version that allows a section of the rail to be removed to allow for strippers, and then you have to either use a shorter scope, or perhaps a scout mounted red dot over where the rear sight once was. Neat idea, but pretty spendy IMO.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »
How to mount your receiver cover for scoping:
http://www.the 'other' boards/smf/index.php?topic=134468.0
Remove the dust receiver cover.
Mount your choice of rails by:
Draw (scribe) a center line on the cover.
Place the rail and mark your holes to be drilled.
Drill correct size hole to be tapped.
Tap the holes to fit the button head screws you choose.
Replace the rail and screw in the mounting screws. Lock tight in place.
Grind the screws off from the bottom side so they are flush with the curve of the cover. Needed so the bolt won't jam on them.

Remove the take down pin.
Replace the dust receiver cover. MUST be on for the tap threads to line up properly.
Tap (do not drill the hole) a 1/4-20 (or finer if you desire) hole all the way across and out the other side.
Use a grade 8, 1/4-20 x 1 3/4"L button head. MUST go all the way through and out the left side to anchor the cover.
Screw in the button head. Best if done right to left. Looks better in my opinion.
Cut to length, meaning flush with the receiver, cold blue and you are done.

Now you have a LOW mount, that will return to zero, every time you R/R it to clean your rifle.

Happy Shooting
Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.