Author Topic: Steyr Stutzen Model 1895/30  (Read 648 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Steyr Stutzen Model 1895/30
« on: August 28, 2023, 02:11:24 PM »
Like the one P32 posted here https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=4508.msg50575#msg50575, only in the slightly more common 8x56r, ammo is made in small lots for these.. it's made in the same factory, the same year, ŒWG in Steyr Austria in 1917, but it took a different path in life. The Wn-17 acceptance stamp has been overstamped with the "S" rechamber stamp. Other than being rechambered from 8x50r to the longer, more powerful round, the rear sight was updated from Schritt to meters, it has a long rifle sight graduated to 2200m. Also it has the front sight band, which usually indicates a cut down long rifle. The bore while somewhat dark, has very strong rifling in it, many I've looked at in the past....left a whole lot to be desired. But... these rifles are 100+ years old and never saw any non-corrosive ammo.

Along with the rifle, I managed to locate a nice stash of German M-30 surplus ammo, with various makers, years and enbloc clips. And, I had to try it.. it's no K31 in smoothness, and it will punish your shoulder with recoil. It fed great and no sticky cycling after being cleaned and lubed before hand. It's right up my alley, I thought my Mosin M-38 with yellow tip heavy ball was a thumper, nope, the light rifle weight, it measured just a hair over 7 pounds.. like 7 lbs 3 oz.. and the 210grain bullet it fires takes the recoil and your shoulder to a sightly higher level, think of it as being sucker punched, then you just get aggressive with it and don't baby it, it cycles and runs fine. thumb1

RM disclaimer... if'en you cant handle the Mosin.. just don't on one of these.. must be this tall to ride this ride.. rofl2 chuckles1

The front band is matching to the rifle.. the bolt has no serial.

The stock, has been on, this is the third rifle, so it was most likely installed and force matched during the long to short rifle conversion and rechambering process.

It's kinda dark, with no pitting.. the rifling looks really good given the age and corrosive only ammo usage.  Proof.... corrosive ammo won't rot your barrel off if you do your due diligence and clean it correctly.

Ammo stash.. some from 1931 all the way to 1940, both Bulgarian, Austrian by various makers and Nazi stamped enblocks. I will be picking up some modern made ammo to save the surplus stuff.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Steyr Stutzen Model 1895/30
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 03:21:46 PM »
RM disclaimer... if'en you cant handle the Mosin.. just don't on one of these.. must be this tall to ride this ride.. rofl2 chuckles1

Pfft,

As if I *can't* handle one!  (I just choose not to because firearms tend to breed like rabbits when I get involved with them...)  bat1

Nice one by the way GM.  Will look nice next to your Mosin collection, I have a recent picture the last time you brought a few out of the safe for some sun:

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 04:46:14 PM »
Nice one GM.  Kinda stout recoil, probably akin to a M38 or M44.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 10:16:32 PM »
Looks like you scored another nice one GM! I like the lack of shellac on the stock, in contrast to the Bulgarian imports   thumb1

Joe, I gotta buncha dem boat paddles too. Real handy when I find myself up s**t creek, never lacking for a paddle like dem other fellas

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 06:32:21 PM »
Nice GM.
I have one somewhat similar, in original 8x50mmR chambering with the sight still marked in Schritt, it's carbine length with 3 sling swivels. Also the bolt knob is slightly larger than other M95s, has no stacking hook or provisions for a bayo to attach. I got it garage sailing and the little old lady said her grandpa brought it back from "over there, France", he was a Doughboy. It was duffle cut at the first ban, which is flush to the barrel and a HG wouldn't fit. I presumed it was for a cavalry unit. PAX   
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 12:21:42 PM »
Nice GM.
I have one somewhat similar, in original 8x50mmR chambering with the sight still marked in Schritt, it's carbine length with 3 sling swivels. Also the bolt knob is slightly larger than other M95s, has no stacking hook or provisions for a bayo to attach. I got it garage sailing and the little old lady said her grandpa brought it back from "over there, France", he was a Doughboy. It was duffle cut at the first ban, which is flush to the barrel and a HG wouldn't fit. I presumed it was for a cavalry unit. PAX

Interesting. Different rear sight too? Like one of these?

http://www.hungariae.com/Mann90.htm

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 12:27:03 PM »
Wow, this and P32's post sent me down a rabbit hole...not to mention the site P32 found and shared.
I am gonna have to do more research once my head stops spinning.
There is a lot of info and variations to muddle through.

While mine is rechambered to the 8x56r, it has the original Schritt rear sight.
It has the bayonet lug and stacking hook, but that part isn't serialized.
The bolt however is, stamped...not electropenciled.
ALL the numbers match, including the stock...which wasn't forced.
I am having a hard time with the barrel shank, while the S is slightly to the right of the original stamp, the only discernible mark is the number 16...which makes me think it is an early 1916, due also to the 3259A serial. Before the emperor died in November of 1916...there doesn't seem to be enough 'unreadable' stamp to indicate a double crest.

I have some surplus ammo, like yours plus four lonely empty clips. I have yet to fire it, I was hoping to find some of that aftermarket ammo to try it out...but none was available 3 years ago, and I kinda forgot about it in the gun cabinet.
The description I had heard was that the recoil was 'grim'. I never forgot that...at the time I had a shoulder injury and was in PT...so I put it off.

I will eventually post mine, it's a bit cloudy/smoky today so the light isn't ideal...plus, I have to charge up my camera.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 03:32:54 PM »
Thanks thumb1  RM.. you cant judge the paddle till you've been paddled. of course.. you could get one of these just in case you find yourself up Schritts creek..  :o rofl

The recoil is subjective.. Ive felt much worse from modern more ergonomically made rifles... a 45-70 with +p Buffalo Bore uber death rabid rhino cartridges, my .338 Win Mag, my cousins 30-378 Weatherby and his 8mm Mag..  for a milsurp, The Steyr too me.. is just above the M38 Mosin w/ heavy ball... which to me.. is slightly more than a No. 5 Mk I Jungle Carbine...  I'm sure the somewhat straight stock design and steel flat butt plate dont help matters.

It's just a little pain.. no pain..no gain.. thumb1

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 05:05:14 PM »
The first time I shot a Mosin style rifle, it was a T53 with heavy ball.
It was an eye opener. I actually thought it broke because of the expansion in the chamber locking the spent casing.
I was able to get it open by kicking the bolt. Subsequent firings didn't do that...I must have started with a particularly hot load...or a weak casing. I only have a few rounds of that, and am hanging on to it, should I need to take a rhino down.  chuckles1

Have you heard of any new ammo available for this? I last looked for it kind of in the spring of 2020, when everything was in short supply.
I only have the four boxes of the mostly Nazi marked ammo, and don't really want to break into that.

Nevermind, it's available locally. I heard they did this in small batches only occasionally...seems like now is the time!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 05:10:59 PM by Justin Hell »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 05:35:12 PM »
SGAmmo, Aim Surplus and a few other places usually carry both FMJ and soft point for hunting... PPU, remaining surplus and handload are about the only ways to shoot it, once in a holier than thou blue moon, I think Hornady and Buffalo Arms do a rare batch, or at least they use to. It has become a batch caliber... like a few other calibers are anymore, that aren't main stream and falling by the wayside.  :(

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 09:26:45 PM »
Nice GM.

Interesting. Different rear sight too? Like one of these?

http://www.hungariae.com/Mann90.htm

Yes, that's the little guy. I had that link at one time, but it vanished.
Mine has the original sling (or one like it) and a third sling swivel on the stock's bottom.
I take it back, I just checked. The 3rd swivel is on the side of the butt, the holes are square at the swivels. PAX
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 10:17:45 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798