Author Topic: Here's a *really* interesting one  (Read 6760 times)

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Here's a *really* interesting one
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 01:20:42 AM »
Does anyone recall if  the Romanian m56's have the Soviet style inspection stamps?

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 01:44:38 AM »
I misread you question p2000.

First ~2,000 -2,100 chinese guns have the soviet star on the receiver. Presumably Soviet made.

Then in the mid 2000 serial range the ghost guns start. No Star and No arsenal stamp until ~213k.  Iirc.

Thank you very much! Interesting and good to know. A quick follow up question. When you mentioned the Soviet Star on receiver, did you refer to the star stamped on the left side of receiver, above wood line?

I noticed the rifle in question has a Tula star stamped on bottom of receiver. Shown in OP's 4th (last pic). Is Tula star stamped at this position common on Sino Soviet too?

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 02:25:02 AM »
Does anyone recall if  the Romanian m56's have the Soviet style inspection stamps?

I just checked my 1960 Romy and it did not have the soviet style 'inspection stamped to death' bottom of the receiver.  :)) Very few markings in fact.

Not sure if they, like the Chinese, adopted the soviet style inspection stamps early on and did away with them later on down the road though. Might have to have one of the gents around here with one of the really early ones to chime in there.   thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 02:50:14 AM »
I misread you question p2000.

First ~2,000 -2,100 chinese guns have the soviet star on the receiver. Presumably Soviet made.

Then in the mid 2000 serial range the ghost guns start. No Star and No arsenal stamp until ~213k.  Iirc.

Thank you very much! Interesting and good to know. A quick follow up question. When you mentioned the Soviet Star on receiver, did you refer to the star stamped on the left side of receiver, above wood line?

I noticed the rifle in question has a Tula star stamped on bottom of receiver. Shown in OP's 4th (last pic). Is Tula star stamped at this position common on Sino Soviet too?

pcke2000.. see this for markings, I own the one at the bottom of the page and could provide any photos you want of markings..   http://chinesesks.weebly.com/195556-soviet-sino.html

I just checked my 1960 Romy and it did not have the soviet style 'inspection stamped to death' bottom of the receiver.  :)) Very few markings in fact.

Not sure if they, like the Chinese, adopted the soviet style inspection stamps early on and did away with them later on down the road though. Might have to have one of the gents around here with one of the really early ones to chime in there.   thumb1

All 4 years of mine have very limited markings, I'd guess... They had their own inspection routine and markings, the barrel shank has some similarities in marks, but that may be commie proofing method. I can provide photos of those marks, they are shared across Mosins and a few other weapons.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 07:58:16 AM »

I don't believe that partial star stamp is a Tula star. When properly struck, although it is a 5point star, it does not resemble the Soviet Receiver Star.

That stamp in particular is most likely just another inspection stamp in the Soviet whack-a-mole inspection free for all.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:37:49 PM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 08:01:10 AM »
Gm, thanks for the info on the Romy guns. My two 1960 romys are in deep storage.

Do we know who, if anyone, has a no date Romy?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:49:41 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 08:12:41 AM »
Since rm has yet to share the "weird" photos...

I think we can say for sure that the op receiver is soviet in origin. Either a soviet sneak or a true sino-soviet. It has also been refitted with an Albanian stock.

What strikes me are the photos that rm has not shared in the OP. So those absent photos are where the weirdness resides.

No serial number photos, no parts groups.

Another guess:
All matching gun. Soviet receiver. Albanian carrier and possibly handguard.

The suggestion of an Albanian handguard is really just my attempt to get as "weird" as possible. But man that would be really weird, and also VERY cool. It would also indicate a likely barrel  replacement.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:48:30 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 08:14:01 AM »
Also weird would be a 1949 90°gas port sks45, in an Albanian stock.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 08:20:53 AM »
Did the Chinese used Cyrillic proof stamps? I guess it'd make sense for the early ones if they literally took everything.

Early on the Chinese had their own, distinct inspection stamps which they applied In similar quantities to the Soviet inspection stamping patterns.

By 1957 or 58. The inspection stamps on the sides and undersides of the Chinese receivers disappear entirely. There are really great photos which document this progression at Chinesesks.weebly under the "26 Progression" links.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 09:47:24 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 12:07:00 PM »
Gm, thanks for the info on the Romy guns. My two 1960 romys are in deep storage.

Do we know who, if anyone, has a no date Romy?

A no date Romanian is about my only interest in the SKS realm..... I haven't seen one listed in...many years.   :(

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 12:35:26 PM »

A no date Romanian is about my only interest in the SKS realm..... I haven't seen one listed in...many years.   :(

So VERY early Romanian isn't entirely out of the question

I'll get even weirder...(pure fantasy weird):

How about a, A NO-date Romy, masquerading as a Soviet sneak, wearing an Albanian beechwood stock, with a Made In China import stamp.

A Romy-Sino-Soviet-Banian sneak. 

Now THAT would be weird. Though, I highly idoubt it.

My money is still on a Soviet sneak or Soviet-sino, in an albanian stock. Possibly wearing distinctly Albanian hardware and possibly scrubbed and restamped to match.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 12:36:14 PM »
RM-- any idea when the "weirdness" photos will be posted?

popcorn1 popcorn1 popcorn1 popcorn1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 12:44:59 PM »
The suggestion of an Albanian handguard is really just my attempt to get as "weird" as possible. But man that would be really weird, and also VERY cool. It would also indicate a likely barrel  replacement.

Enlighten me on the barrel replacement. If it's packing a Albanian handguard, nothing would really change, the gas port is in the same location, as the gas tubes are the same length between a Russian, Chinese and Albanian, only the wood is different, worst case they changed the front tube/stock ferrule and that also retains the nose of the stock, if they didn't chop off the nose..

Gas tubes are the same.

Russian stock vs. Albanian

They used a combo ferrule that does stock and gas tube.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »

I don't believe that partial star stamp is a Tula star.when properly struck, though it is a 5point star, it does not resembke the Soviet  Receiver Star.

That stamp in particular is most likely just another inspection stamp in the Soviet whack-a-mole inspection free for all.

Thank you for the info on Chinese SKS you provided! For discussion, I am very confident that the poorly stamped mark is a Tula star, you will see this type of partially stamped factory symbols very common on TT, SVT, Nagant M1895, and other Soviet small arms made prior to 1960. Chumak's new book on Russian small arms markings also confirmed it.

In addition, the receiver has at least one Tula unique OTK stamp.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2021, 01:47:06 PM »
Enlighten me on the barrel replacement. If it's packing a Albanian handguard, nothing would really change, the gas port is in the same location, as the gas tubes are the same length between a Russian, Chinese and Albanian, only the wood is different, worst case they changed the front tube/stock ferrule and that also retains the nose of the stock, if they didn't chop off the nose..

Oops. My mistake. I got a little bit ahead of myself. 

I was thinking that replacing the ferule would also mean removing the FSB and gas port. Which somehow led me to conclude that this also meant removing the barrel.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:03:04 PM by Boris Badinov »

Online Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »
I'm going to bet that the import mark is totally incorrect and it's not a Chinese gun at all.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2021, 03:52:01 PM »
I still believe it is a Russian made SKS, or at least the receiver is Tula made.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 04:03:51 PM »
I still believe it is a Russian made SKS, or at least the receiver is Tula made.

+1

Soviet/Russian made receiver-- is the most likely with that array of inspection stamps in those locations.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 04:11:07 PM »
Or it could be....RM is pulling all our legs and it is 2 different SKSs he is showing pictures of.

A little early for APRIL FOOL'S day RM!!! rofl rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 09:54:41 PM »
I'm going to bet that the import mark is totally incorrect and it's not a Chinese gun at all.

It happens... it's my Norinco Russian.