Author Topic: Thoughts on the Albanian SKS  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Thoughts on the Albanian SKS
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »
I know precisely dick about Albanians, but was wondering about some things....

Why do you suppose they altered a tried and true design, without doing any mechanical alterations...and using actually more resources by doing so?

It seems strange to me the alterations they did, which seem to offer no practical purpose for doing so. In fact it seems like shooting yourself in the foot to not have the option of replacement stocks and gas tubes from other countries utilizing the same basic infantry issue weapon.  Aside from the ergonomics of the altered charging handle, I don't see the purpose in the other mods.  Were they trying to reinvent the wheel, or did they have a flamboyant armorer that just wanted to add some pizzazz?

Whaddya think?

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Thoughts on the Albanian SKS
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:47:35 PM »
Good points.  My guess is nationalistic pride trumps interchangeability of parts.  Enver Hoxha's way of saying: "Albania can make everything it needs".

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »
It was explained to me the 6 port gas tube was a durability upgrade. Truth, no clue, but I'm sure those 6 ports can exhaust the air out of the gas tube faster when fired, it also acts as a redundant in case one or more ports gets plugged.

The ergonomics of the altered charging handle, this I've wondered about, but from a manufacturing stand point, it kinda makes sense. Ak's packed this type handle, Albania had Aks from Russia, they started their own Ak production in '74. So would it be that far fetched to say it was done for simplicity sakes, what's easier to machine, the SKS or Ak charging handle?

The dual door butt plate, another modification, makes keeping up with an oil bottle and cleaning kit easier, at least in the designers eyes.

The stock and handguard, maybe, "no your countries won't fit if captured" bat1 or their magic crystal ball said in the future, a company named Tapco :o would make stocks/handguards for all the others. So, lets make an oddball stock/handguard combo so ours don't get desecrated with plastic.  rofl2  Lord, please forgive me for that jab!! rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
I don't believe national pride had anything to do with it....  I mean, why is the 59/66 different? @

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »
My reply was a bit flippant, a chance to take a dig at the Stalin wannabe, but I forgot to add a  :))

In any case, the 59/66 with it's grenade launcher seems to add some functionality that is unique to that version.  GM's points  on the Albanian make sense with regard to the gas tube and butt plate...and especially the incompatibility with Tapco plastic  :))

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
 chuckles1

In my mind...  the alby gasube would be easier to manufacture.  Slide ferrule forward and cut stock... more surface area to carry/hold without boiling skin.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »
chuckles1

In my mind...  the alby gasube would be easier to manufacture.  Slide ferrule forward and cut stock... more surface area to carry/hold without boiling skin.

Your mind is wack  rofl  fart1, who grabs and holds that far out?  Oh, look, it's the Albanian weaponized version of Harley ape hangers. rofl2

Ok, maybe ease of manufacture, but, still why 6 gas ports?

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »
Wait, six gas ports? 

I guess you learn something new every day...I didn't know there was that much different going on with the gas system.

I had considered the lengthened handguard had possibly something to do with avoiding burns, but then again, the barrel is right there too....why on earth you would consider handling it that far up even without a sling is kind of silly.

They are very interesting weapons to me...I wonder if any are even in Montana, I sure haven't ever seen one here. 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
Why do stocks go all the way to muzzle on your mosin boat paddles??    :-\     Who touches a barrel out that far!?!?!   I blame Sasquatch.     bat1

Why not 6 ports?... its just a pressure relief, but I thought you already answeres that question of yours.   :-\

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
Why do stocks go all the way to muzzle on your mosin boat paddles??    :-\     Who touches a barrel out that far!?!?!   I blame Sasquatch.     bat1

Cause full handguards was all the rage and style from 1891 well into WWII, you just wern't cool without Lumber Liquidators hanging around your barrel.

Blame Sasquatch bat1, explain it to me Sunshine, if it's to prevent burns, why ain't the Ak got gas tube protection ???. I mean, is that whimpy semiauto gastube gonna get any hotter than a full auto after a mag dump or three at an enemy?    Gas tubes, common sense dictates, HOT!!!! when in use, I'm sure many people made a note to self,  SELF, it's hot, real hot, damn hot, don't touch it, don't lick it, it's HOT.... fart1 thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
 rofl

It was long stocked to prevent the barrel from directly resting on sandbags, bricks etc.

Better then and more advanced then the AK.    thumb1    The AK is sooooooo  1950s.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
rofl

Better then and more advanced then the AK.    thumb1    The AK is sooooooo  1950s.

rofl Oh, and the SKS is such a "modern" weapon, it's so mid '40s. rofl  Huh, guess the gas tube protection novelty didn't apply to, the Albanian Aks, your on your own, suckas.

Thats what the extra trap door was, it had a piece of instructional paper inserted saying:

Government disclaimer:
Warning: Gas tube will get hot while fighting insurgents and rebels....Can cause extreme burns, high pressure hot gas can puncture and destroy flesh.

Any injuries associated with disobeying this disclaimer could lead to court-martial and/or death..

You have been warned Comrade   

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:04 PM »
So help me god if this boy touches the wrong part of the barrel.   pullhair1

These things are actually used in combat remember?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:50:24 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
Someone needs to contact the department of defense and demand all handguards be shortened.     pullhair1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
Because Albanians exhibit a strange fetish for holding that area against their face.....  duh

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:52 PM »
Someone needs to contact the department of defense and demand all handguards be shortened.     pullhair1

Cluck, cluck cluck, wonk, wonk, wonk

NO, HANDGUARDS!!!!!!!!!!! And these are both manly weapons of war, I mean a full auto .30-06 B.A.R., not some chumped up dinky AR or SKS. No gas tube protection or barrel protection on the B.A.R., Grab that Thompson barrel after 50 rounds, those cooling finns should leave an interesting mark. rofl

If they wanna play sucky face with their gastubes, thats their choice, when their lips burn to it, oh well. I'm sure it got lonely out there day in, day out.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 10:21:28 PM »
Oh...   this guy would be so screwed.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 10:24:55 PM »
The bar clearly has a handguard.     rofl

Simply stating...  its a logical reason to extend the length with little effort.  Unless you have a better idea?  And dont even start with your conspiracy theories again.   bat1

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 10:33:27 PM »
DOH!!!  Handguard shinkage...

I'll go with, What is protection from burnt lips on warm stary night for a $1000, Alex..

Albanian handguard!!!

thumb1 chuckles1 rofl2 rofl whistle12

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 07:17:51 PM »
 rofl

I love posting here....you guys crack me up. :)

I would love to seen an SKS with the full 19th century wood beyond the average man's reach.....maybe even a longer barrel, just so the Lorax gets pissy....

The second butthole should be used to hold the plug to convert to black powder if necessary.... chuckles1