Author Topic: Long Branch No4 Mk1 and No4 Mk1*  (Read 1421 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Long Branch No4 Mk1 and No4 Mk1*
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:59:52 PM »
Obvious to the crew here, there's a lot of esoteric knowledge involved in collecting, which is part of the fun. This post presents two Canadian Long Branch Lee-Enfields, from 1941 (a 0 series No4 Mk1; 0L5875 = 15,875th rifle made) and 1950 (a 93 series No4 Mk1*, 942,760th). The three British factories, Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) Maltby, ROF Fazakerley and BSA-Shirley, only made the No4 Mk1 during WWII, never the No4 Mk1* with its modest manufacturing simplifications.

The North American manufacturers, Savage in the US and Long Branch in Canada, quickly got approval for the manufacturing simplifications inherent in the No4 Mk1*, described below. The main simplification that is readily noticeable consisted of eliminating the precision receiver milling operation for the bolt head catch on the lower right side of the receiver behind the charger guide, thus eliminating the installation of the spring-loaded bolt head catch, and adding a straightforward milling of a notch at the front right of the receiver for the alternative bolt head release procedure. It also required a deeper notch in the charger bridge (93 series is on the right in the photo). Long Branch switched from the No4 Mk1 to the No4 Mk1* very quickly, approximately 16K into manufacture, out of just under 1 million made through ca. 1950, so less than 2% were the "no star" version. Long Branch's unique safety catch can also be seen on the 93 series rifle. I really like that safety catch.

You'll note that my 1941 No4 Mk1 has actually been mismarked as a No4 Mk1*, but the characteristics show that it clearly is not a * version. Also, it has been through an FTR (Factory Thorough Repair) at Fazakerley post-WWII. The barrel and a few other parts were replaced during the FTR. The bore is excellent, shiny and sharp.

0L 1941 top, 93L 1950 bottom

0L 1941 left, 93L 1950 right: the depth (or height) of the charger bridge in the foreground is the subject of interest

0L 1941

93L 1950: I just love the wood  :)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Long Branch No4 Mk1 and No4 Mk1*
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 04:09:47 PM »
I had a Fazakerley No. 4 MkI back in the day. That was one fine shooting rifle.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »
Nice No. 4's Jon.  When you say, "esoteric knowledge", all you're saying is, "ooo, shiny, me want..." rofl2 chuckles1 wink1.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 04:39:47 PM »

Yes, I love that name too.

When you look through the peep sight of a No4, you know you're sitting behind a battle rifle, not a match rifle, as it has a rather large aperture for a wide field of view.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 04:40:23 PM »
Nice No. 4's Jon.  When you say, "esoteric knowledge", all you're saying is, "ooo, shiny, me want..." rofl2 chuckles1 wink1.

rofl  Yeah, basically...and thanks!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 04:51:43 PM »

When you look through the peep sight of a No4, you know you're sitting behind a battle rifle, not a match rifle, as it has a rather large aperture for a wide field of view.

Yeah, and boy could they reach out and touch someone. trying to remember the top line on the sight, is it 1200 or 1600M?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 01:35:55 PM »
I've had a few over the years
They've all been great shooters
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »

Yeah, and boy could they reach out and touch someone. trying to remember the top line on the sight, is it 1200 or 1600M?

1300, although that's rather optimistic for accurate fire using iron sights rofl Undoubtedly the bullet will travel that far and much farther with the right angle.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:01:36 PM »
I remember the Martini-Henry rifle having a flip up sight for volley fire from the Zulu, Crimea, Boer wars era. A carryover from the British longbow days. The caliper sight on the Enfield was definitely a step above that.

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 08:43:34 PM »

This.....I can still see through that peep lol. Nice pair you have there.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 10:40:09 PM »
Yup, I think I’ll be able to shoot these until I’m too old to shuffle out toted range  rofl

Thank-you!  thumb1