General Milsurp Weapons > Mauser (non-German)

Persian M49 Carbine

(1/3) > >>

Phosphorus32:
This section has been quiet far too long, so here's a Persian Model 49 carbine. It was made in Iran ca. early 1950s at the state rifle factory set up by the Czechs from Brno (CZ). This one is in very good to excellent condition.

The ray fleck in the stock is typical of beech and given the geographic location of its manufacture, it's likely Oriental Beech (Fagus orientalis). This is a different species than the European Beech (Fagus sylvatica) used in French firearms and many Mausers and Lee-Enfields of the WWII and later eras.

The bolt is in the white and matches the receiver serial number. The serial numbers on the receiver, bolt and stock are in Farsi. The rear sight leaf of the earliest production also had Farsi numerals, but they switched to Hindu-Arabic numerals (as seen on mine) around mid-production. It has a 460mm barrel (18.1") and 970mm (38.2") overall length, weighs 3.9kg (8.6 lbs) and is chambered in 7.92x57mm.

These were imported by Sam Cummings company Interarmco in the early 1960s. They were sold as a "Persian M98 Mauser Carbine" by Interarmco's retail arm, Hunters Lodge, for $34.95, as shown in this 1963 ad, hence no import marks. 57 years later, I paid about fifteen times that original sticker price at an auction and I was tickled to win it for that price  :)

August 8, 1963

Larry D.:
That's a sexy little rifle!

And....that ad hurts me......

firstchoice:
That's a neat rifle, Phos! Amazing that it was $34.95 after it came over in the early sixties! I don't know much about the Mausers. Is this considered a "large ring" Mauser receiver? I've heard the large ring/small ring references but never had it explained to me.

I have a '43 and a '48 in Turkish Mausers. Also have a Yugoslav M-48 Mauser. Have ammo but have yet to fire a round through any of them. I've heard they are accurate and fun to shoot, although they have a bit of recoil, eh?

Thanks for posting it up!

--- Quote from: Larry D. on March 03, 2020, 12:16:09 AM ---That's a sexy little rifle!
--- End quote ---

Same here, Larry!  I sure like those prices! I wouldn't have minded having multiples of everything on those pages, at those prices! I still want most all of them. But at todays prices I have more of a wishing problem than a storage problem.

firstchoice

Bacarnal:
Nice rifle, P32.  A friend of mine has/had what I think was an Indonesian one.  Surprisingly not bad to fire, but like all carbines chambered for a service round, they send out a fire ball.  Thanks for posting!

Phosphorus32:

--- Quote from: Larry D. on March 03, 2020, 12:16:09 AM ---That's a sexy little rifle!

--- End quote ---

Thanks Larry!

Yeah, it hurts slightly less if adjusted for the CPI; $35 is about $295 in 2020 dollars.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version