Author Topic: What the heck is it?  (Read 6226 times)

Offline Chief

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
What the heck is it?
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
So I just purchased a  Norinco SKS Arsenal 26 the serial number is 24mil, which would be 1979/80 but it has a blade bayonet, and side attached sling. So what is it? I've attached some pictures. Thanks in advance for any help.

Better to fight for something than live for nothing.
George S. Patton

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: What the heck is it?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »
If the stock has no serial it is either a commercial assemblage for export or an after the fact restoration.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:54:14 PM »
Oli is right as usual.  This gun originally had a spike bayo and spike grooved stock with matching number​.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Chief

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »
Thanks guys! so that's a bit of bad news, I paid the guy $325 for it. Well I just hope it shoots worth a damn.
George S. Patton

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 10:30:56 PM »
Thanks guys! so that's a bit of bad news, I paid the guy $325 for it. Well I just hope it shoots worth a damn.

That's a good price for that gun....any decent SKS is that price range is pretty uncommon nowadays. Plus, a 24mil is one of the nicest quality Jianshe guns.

Is everything else matching? Does it still have the original "III" marked rear sight leaf? That's the biggest asset of that rifle.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »
Agreed, not a bad price for that gun these days.  Also note that the handguard has been swapped out as well, it should have a phenolic 'french tickler' style installed.  You see 23 and 24 mil /26\ guns with replaced stocks/handguards quite often, I'd guess at export/refurb they weren't all that concerned with period correct hardware.  As long as it functioned and had all the necessary pieces it went into the crate.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:04:45 PM »
All the late m21 guns have the French tickler hg, but from my observations the 23/24 guns could have either.  I dunno if the wood variants exist because they were reworked at some point prior to export, or if they were originally built at 26 that way. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Chief

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
So the numbers match on the bolt, the cover, the magazine, piston rod (none on the stock). Should I be looking anywhere else? Also where would I find the "III" on the sight is there a picture on here so I know what the heck I'm looking for? and thanks again for all the great replies, only whish I could buy you all a beer.
George S. Patton

Offline Chief

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 02:08:21 PM »
Also the "P" ant the end of the serial number is making me scratch my head, I can't find any reference to it on any of the sites I've been on.
George S. Patton

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 02:37:57 PM »
The prevailing opinion of the "P" at the end of the serial number is that it's related to import/export. Other letters appear in the same spot. Perhaps the different letters refer to time of export or to a specific export point or hub. Nobody has determined this with any ceratinty.

The "III" will be the rear-most setting on the rear sight leaf, just below position  "1". It's also referred to as the battle sight setting.

I have to agree with the others. Even with a non original stock, you got a decent price and a great gun in extremely good condition.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
So the numbers match on the bolt, the cover, the magazine, piston rod (none on the stock). Should I be looking anywhere else? Also where would I find the "III" on the sight is there a picture on here so I know what the heck I'm looking for? and thanks again for all the great replies, only whish I could buy you all a beer.
Stamped numbers will be on the receiver, receiver cover, bolt, bolt carrier, trigger group, magazine, and stock.  Electropenciled numbers can often (but not always) be found on the gas piston, gas tube, under the rear sight leaf, extractor, buttplate, and once in a while on the firing pin.

The III RSL looks like this:

As far as I know, there is only one version of it, whereas there are multiple versions of the other flavors like these "Ds"

Agree with Boris on the uncertain definition of the P suffix.  We don't even know whether it was applied by the Chinese government, the exporter, or the American importer.  It does have something to do with the lot of guns though.  Whether it's an means for ensuring a unique S/N or a record-keeping tactic used by the Chinese won't be known until we have much more data.  thumb1

Offline Chief

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 04:39:01 PM »
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner well at least that's a plus with this rifle I still like it and can't wait to go shoot it this weekend.

George S. Patton

Offline Boris

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
I bought one today that is the same as yours except it has the french tickler. Has spike bayo and III sight. Pomomna California.
Bruce

Offline Chief

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 11:43:02 PM »
Let us know how it shoots.
George S. Patton

Offline Chief

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 07:29:58 AM »
So what do you fine gentlemen recommend for ammo? Century, TulAmmo, 124, 123 grain? Thanks!
George S. Patton

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 07:53:07 AM »
They all pretty much work.  Some better than others, some cleaner burning than others, and some with a bit more inherent accuracy than others.  For just banging off some rounds for the heck of it Tula is what I use.  I do like the Wolf brand ammo more than the Tula though.  Some really like the Golden Tiger brand.  I have yet had the opportunity to shoot any of it yet though.  Most of the ammo I shoot is in the 123, 124 grn range either fmj, or jhp.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
So what do you fine gentlemen recommend for ammo? Century, TulAmmo, 124, 123 grain? Thanks!
I'm :o  cheap and old, whatever is on sale always goes bang for me.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:22 AM »
I'm :o  cheap and old, whatever is on sale always goes bang for me.

That's what I'm talkin about.   thumb1

Offline Tvchance

• Cadet
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »
I was just curious and I couldn't tell in your photos. Does the bolt carrier have the "lightening" cut?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 11:34:52 PM »
I was just curious and I couldn't tell in your photos. Does the bolt carrier have the "lightening" cut?

Unless it was built from NOS parts or is non matching, it should be a late style (non lightening) bolt carrier.  thumb1