Author Topic: Will a short collar barreled action fit in a long collar stock?  (Read 3057 times)

Offline sd408

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Will a short collar barreled action fit in a long collar stock?
« on: September 17, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
Looking to replace a rusty, slightly rotted stock with a different wooden stock. The seller said it’s a long collar stock but my SKS is short collar. Will i run into fitment issues or should i be able to drop it in with no issues?

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Will a short collar barreled action fit in a long collar stock?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 12:48:24 AM »
If my memory serves me correctly, it will fit but be loose. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 12:49:31 AM »

ditto

Offline sd408

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 03:21:59 AM »

ditto

Thanks for the response,
Any way for me to tighten up the fitment?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:22:42 AM »

ditto

Thanks for the response,
Any way for me to tighten up the fitment?

Chinese stocks are a bit of a wonder. "I wonder if this one will fit?" They not only have variances from long to short to pinned barrel, they vary from arsenal to arsenal. In other words there was a lot of inconsistencies in production. About all you can do is try it and either fit and relieve where needed or shim and bed the action where needed. Having said all that, to answer your question more directly, Bedding epoxy would be the best option if "tightening up" the action were needed.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline sd408

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 03:39:27 PM »

Chinese stocks are a bit of a wonder. "I wonder if this one will fit?" They not only have variances from long to short to pinned barrel, they vary from arsenal to arsenal. In other words there was a lot of inconsistencies in production. About all you can do is try it and either fit and relieve where needed or shim and bed the action where needed. Having said all that, to answer your question more directly, Bedding epoxy would be the best option if "tightening up" the action were needed.

Thanks, i just ordered it and hoping it fits better than im expecting. If i run into issues ill try bedding or shimming though ive never done either yet.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 03:53:07 PM »

Thanks, i just ordered it and hoping it fits better than im expecting. If i run into issues ill try bedding or shimming though ive never done either yet.

The main area will be at the front of the collar where the stock was relieved to allow for the longer one. It may drop right in. I bought a stock for a pinned barrel action and it was a perfect fit, but then again, I'm a lucky and blessed man. :) :))
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline sd408

• Newber
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 01:25:46 AM »

The main area will be at the front of the collar where the stock was relieved to allow for the longer one. It may drop right in. I bought a stock for a pinned barrel action and it was a perfect fit, but then again, I'm a lucky and blessed man. :) :))

Knowing my luck, it will fit soooo loose im gonna have to do a lot of custom fitting but fingers crossed lol

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »

Knowing my luck, it will fit soooo loose im gonna have to do a lot of custom fitting but fingers crossed lol

Keep us all posted and if you run into issues, hopefully someone can chime in with help.

Offline sd408

• Newber
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 12:55:40 PM »

Keep us all posted and if you run into issues, hopefully someone can chime in with help.
Lol well guess what? The seller just messaged me after confirming before purchase that it was a spike cut stock, to let me know that it’s actually a paratrooper blade cut stock.. now to go look for another stock. Might buy a pin barrel cut stock that i saw last Week.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

Lol well guess what? The seller just messaged me after confirming before purchase that it was a spike cut stock, to let me know that it’s actually a paratrooper blade cut stock.. now to go look for another stock. Might buy a pin barrel cut stock that i saw last Week.

Pinned barrel stocks will not work as the crossbolt sits further back than on threaded barrel stocks. This is because the crossbolt sits on the receiver on the pinned barrel whereas, on the threaded barrel it sits on the lug/collar.

Offline sd408

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 02:27:53 PM »

Pinned barrel stocks will not work as the crossbolt sits further back than on threaded barrel stocks. This is because the crossbolt sits on the receiver on the pinned barrel whereas, on the threaded barrel it sits on the lug/collar.

Gotcha, I think i misunderstood your previous post where you said you got a stock for a pinned collar and it fit well. Thought you meant you mix-matched pinned stock with a thread collar receiver. I’ll keep an eye out for the right stock type!

Offline echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 05:29:53 PM »

You say the stock you were looking to buy is for a blade Paratrooper. That doesn't automatically mean it's for a long lug rifle. When the Paras came out, you could order one with either bayo. I have a short lug blade Para. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline sd408

• Newber
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »

You say the stock you were looking to buy is for a blade Paratrooper. That doesn't automatically mean it's for a long lug rifle. When the Paras came out, you could order one with either bayo. I have a short lug blade Para. PAX

Oops, forgot to mention that my Chinese SKS is a spike bayonet so that alone would make it not able to work:/

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 06:41:16 PM »

Is it a 9m by chance Pax?

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
BTW, in almost all things aside from the bayonet type....when you hear/see the word paratrooper  it generally matters not, the stocks are all the same length, the only thing changed was the length of the barrel, which...in turn changed the length of the bayonet. 

If you are concerned though, a spike bayonet 'paratrooper' stock, MIGHT have the second reinforcement pin cut into to widen the path for the fatter cut down stubs for bayonets they used.  If the seller indeed pulled it from a paratrooper....more oft than not folks just add that on because the paratrooper modified guns get more money. Folks will say paratrooper on things that are absolutely not related to the modification.

The use of paratrooper towards anything SKS is actually laughable...they didn't exist until US importation sort of 'demanded' it.