Author Topic: Russian 1891/59 Mosin-Nagant 1943 mfg.  (Read 295 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Russian 1891/59 Mosin-Nagant 1943 mfg.
« on: December 24, 2023, 11:40:46 PM »
This is one of the Mosin-Nagant's that I bought 20 years ago, or so, and set back. (During my "I've got a C&R License and I'm going to use it!" days.  thumb1 ) I don't know much about the
Mosin-Nagants so I thought I'd post them up and see what the experts can tell me.

This example is a 1891/59 Mosin-Nagant manufactured in 1943.

I'm not sure how the stamps on the right side of the buttstock were originally stamped. Were they there before the refurb process and sanded before the new finish was put on? Or were they lightly stamped at refurb?  dntknw1

I meant to take some close-up pics of those nifty repairs to the right side stock fore end, but forgot to. That, and I didn't know if there's anything on the underside of the receiver that'd be helpful in giving ID to the rifle? If so, let me know.

A little pic heavy but it's there now. What do you guys think? I couldn't find much on the 1891/59's at the Mosin-Nagant Forum. To look at the 1891/59 and my M38 (1944) side-by-side, there's not much different in looks aside from the rear sight. I need to take a pic of the pair. Good contrast between the blond look of this one and the dark red stain on the M38. 

firstchoice

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Russian 1891/59 Mosin-Nagant 1943 mfg.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 01:06:24 AM »
The M91/59 is an M91/30 long rifle whose barrel and stock has been cut down, the barrel to 52cm (same as an M38 or M44), and the markings beyond 1000m milled off of the rear sight.

The markings on the stock that you pointed out were present originally and partially sanded out during refurbishment. The horizontal serial number on the left side of the stock was added during refurbishment.

You should find the year of manufacture and arsenal marking on the bottom of the receiver tang.

Looks like a great carbine!