Author Topic: Help me un-bubba an Albanian SKS stock finish  (Read 2613 times)

Offline daytonlawvol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Help me un-bubba an Albanian SKS stock finish
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:42:34 PM »
I have acquired an Albanian SKS that was (gasp) covered with camouflage spray paint job....it was a disaster.  I immediately recognized it as an Albanian and got it for a great price.  It is 1978.  I'll have to strip the wood to get the spray paint off of it and then I want to refinish to as close to original as I possibly can.  What color stocks were the 78s?  How can I best replicate this finish?  It will never be what it once was but buy a got a hold of it and I want to un-bubba as much as I can.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Help me un-bubba an Albanian SKS stock finish
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 12:57:53 AM »
Use citris-strip in a can from Walmart, no heavy sanding, brush on a good three or four coats of amber shellac. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
I have used the citrus strip with good results on a spare stock that someone had painted with some weird pinkish/orange paint.   :o  It took a few applications of the strip to get all of the paint since whoever painted the stock put on either several coats or a very thick coat of the paint but it did work!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »
What color stocks were the 78s?

Yellow-brown to orange-brown.  Like LC says, amber shellac is what was originally used.  You might get lucky and get the paint off w/o affecting the original shellac, but that's iffy at best.  Your best bet is to take the paint off with a stripper and then see what you've got underneath.  If you then need to remove all the rest of the remaining shellac, careful scraping or denatured alcohol is needed as most strippers don't work all that well on shellac. 

Here are some other 78's in the database, they are pretty consistent:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:31:33 PM by running-man »