Author Topic: BSA Sportsman 5  (Read 6581 times)

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
BSA Sportsman 5
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
Picked up this cute little rifle the other day, just cause.  Info I've found says they were made 1947 - 1955, with about 55,000 of em out there.  There was a single shot, a five round mag, (this one), and a tube fed, of this same action. 

This one originally had threaded muzzle for a compensator, but the guy had it professionally crowned, doing away with them. ::)  Probly ruined the thing.

The old thing is pretty much stock, except for the crown and it has been drilled for scope mounts, (two in the barrel, two in the receiver).  I've got an old fifties vintage scope I could put on that would at least be period correct.  I'm thinkin that this might be the right rifle for one of the granddaughters that isn't too "girly" yet.  jd

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: BSA Sportsman 5
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »
I like it!

Where are the d&t locations exactly?  It sounds to me like the locations are setup for an external adjuster type vintage long scope with Unertl type mounts.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 01:38:07 PM »
Fascinating and a good looking rifle. Does BSA still build guns?

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
I like it!

Where are the d&t locations exactly?  It sounds to me like the locations are setup for an external adjuster type vintage long scope with Unertl type mounts.

OK, -- The location of the holes is two on the forward receiver ring, right above the barrel, and the other two are on the barrel right about where the rear sight leaf is. 
the two sets of holes are 2.925" apart, center to center, and the holes in each set are .750" apart. center to center. 

I haven't checked diameters yet, but it almost looks like the same bases used on the Rem 500 series would work on this.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 02:33:43 PM »
I like it!

OK, -- The location of the holes is two on the forward receiver ring, right above the barrel, and the other two are on the barrel right about where the rear sight leaf is. 
the two sets of holes are 2.925" apart, center to center, and the holes in each set are .750" apart. center to center. 

I haven't checked diameters yet, but it almost looks like the same bases used on the Rem 500 series would work on this.  jd

Yup....  classic length apart for external adjusting scopes clicks at distance to be correct.  Many dif mounting blocks out there... Dif heights, dif hole spacing, dif barrel radius, small bore, big bore.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »
Hmmmm.  Old Weaver J 2.5.  I guess that would keep it in the "kid's gun" category.   ::)

Danny, I think their gun making days are done, unless maybe air rifles.  The BSA brand is big on ummmm economical rifle scopes these days.  jd

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 06:01:37 PM »

They make some very high-end air rifles that will keep up with and crack the sound barrier next to a 22lr.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 06:12:50 PM »
Is there any kind of "high end" rifle that you don't have.  jd

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 06:22:38 PM »
Is there any kind of "high end" rifle that you don't have.  jd

Oh... no no..  Thats not mine.  I would NEVER have purple sheets in my house.

I would like to have one though.   :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 12:54:15 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. That's a neat looking rifle, strange but fascinating!

Cannon what's wrong with purple...........never mind.

rofl

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
Cannon what's wrong with purple...........never mind.

rofl

I was just going to say that good ole Blicero posts photos of his guns with a purple sheet backdrop all the time... think1