Author Topic: Bayonet Question  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Bayonet Question
« on: November 12, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »
Could someone explain the length of the bayonet vs the groove cut? Maybe that's why this /26\ sold for over 1K!  :o
 https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883659130

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Bayonet Question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »
Blade stock with a Type 63 bayonet

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 02:43:06 AM »
Why do I want one of those Type 63 bayonets? I don't have the rifle, but I want the bayo? I guess for the same reason I bought a Type 81 blade bayonet, I liked the look.

Who knows, maybe one of each rifle will fall from the sky someday?  :)

Just gotta find a Type 63 bayo on Ebay now...

firstchoice

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:51:52 AM »
Ouch, that long bayonet is going to hurt. $700 start and the buyer hit the $1099 BIN  :o Anice early import 8 million that will be worth $450-500 after he gets a $75-100 blade bayonet  clap1

One non-paying bidder before. It’ll be interesting to see if this gets paid for, or resisted.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 11:51:04 AM »
I really hope the buyer knows what is up with that bayonet and spent that much to secure it.
Otherwise this one belongs in the 2020 lunacy bin.
I don't recall the amount, but the last time I saw one of these bayonets for sale it did bring an eyebrow raising sum.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 03:00:26 AM »
Ouch, that long bayonet is going to hurt. $700 start and the buyer hit the $1099 BIN  :o  Anice early import 8 million that will be worth $450-500 after he gets a $75-100 blade bayonet  clap1

One non-paying bidder before. It’ll be interesting to see if this gets paid for, or resisted.

Phos, you had me scratching my head, wondering if you had come up with an importer I hadn't heard of before? The "Anice"-imported rifle!  rofl  That's a combined result of you rarely making typos, and me, just being me.  fart1   chuckles1  I really need to sleep more.  ???

I really hope the buyer knows what is up with that bayonet and spent that much to secure it.
Otherwise this one belongs in the 2020 lunacy bin.
I don't recall the amount, but the last time I saw one of these bayonets for sale it did bring an eyebrow raising sum.

I agree with you guys. Not sure why the big money layout for this one. Maybe the buyer's somewhere between having lots of money, not knowing enough about the SKS, and just wanting it that much?  dntknw1

I wondered about the finish on the rifle. My 8mil and most other examples of as-issued 8mil's that I've seen have a beautiful deep bluing on them. This one has a dull, black-ish finish that almost looks like paint in some places. M08 (I think it was M08, (Martin), anyway.) has an outstanding /26\ 8mil that's coincidentaly a PS rifle, as well. The finish is something to be desired in any milsurp. The finish on this rifle may be a common finish for the 8mils that I'm not aware of. (trust me, that's a huge possibility!  :) )  But for that kind of money, I'd need the beauty of M08's rifle and some diamonds or gold stuck in the buttstock!  thumb1

firstchoice

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 10:11:27 AM »
rofl  FC, raised by a mom who was an English major and a dad who was a detail-oriented engineer, I did develop a strong aversion to typos. However, I did miss that one. ”anice”, think1 the old missing a space trick  :)) Maybe I meant “anise-flavored”  think1

It’s hard to say for sure what caused the winner to go that high but I think you’ve laid out a good combination of possible factors.

As far as finish on 8 million series Type 56s, I don’t have any good input. My only example is one of the Honor Guard rifles, so it’s been polished and chromed.