Author Topic: SKSS C&A VA BH VA s/n 92 255xx  (Read 2681 times)

Offline papato2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
SKSS C&A VA BH VA s/n 92 255xx
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »
New to this forum, and also to owning an SKSS.  I wold appreciate ANY info/history I could get from you folks who know about these things.  I bought this to pass on to my grandson and the gift is as much it's history and the role it's played in our world , as it is the rifle itself.  I've heard a little about this model's "experimental " status; but would like to learn more.  I believe the s/n indicates a 1992 mfg. year, which I think is the only year these were made.  It also has a folding stock, I think Combat Exchange; but would like to know if that's original manufacture or part of a conversion, and if a conversion, who did it.  This rifle uses the "duckbill" mags, and altho I've not been to the range yet, the internals seem to function smoothly.  Matching s/n's; but absolutely nothing on the stock except for PAT PENDING on the right side of the rifle.  No bayo, and it does accept stripper clips.  So what exactly do I have here??  Is this as rare as some would lead me to believe?  Would this be valued as a collectible in it's present state...the gun is really clean and shows very little use/wear.  I'm going to try to post a couple images with this .  Thanks, SO MUCH, for your time and knowledge

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: SKSS C&A VA BH VA s/n 92 255xx
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 11:47:10 PM »
Welcome!

The SKSS variant is cool, with its shortened gas system to go along with the more common commercial SKS feature of the 42cm barrel. Without its original parts (stock, magazine)  it’s not very collectible but it could be partially restored to mismatched but correct configuration.

Offline papato2

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 02:42:21 AM »
Thanks for the input!  So, is this what I hear referred to as a "bubba'd" gun?!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 10:03:12 AM »

Pretty much, yeah. If you want it back in OEM configuration you'll need the correct stock made for a pinned barrel receiver, a handguard, and an OEM box mag.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 12:42:32 PM »
Greatguns has the parts list covered.

Also, if it starts with "92" then your supposition about the manufacture date is correct, 1992.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 12:46:39 PM »

Probably won't make a large difference, but if you can find scrubbed metal bits and furniture, you'd never know it didn't come that way. They can be mismatched and it doesn't really hurt the value too bad. Nice score. PAX

Pretty much, yeah. If you want it back in OEM configuration you'll need the correct stock made for a pinned barrel receiver, a handguard, and an OEM box mag.
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 06:48:48 AM »
Your SKSS is the first I've seen with the bayo mount neutered. I'm not saying that more weren't made that way, just that it's the first I've seen that way. Since it was only made the one year, I'm not sure if it was neutered stateside or factory. A quick pic of my SKSS:

Mine is currently fitted with a Chinese 20rd fixed magazine, but it wasn't produced with that mag. I have the original non-serial numbered 10rd fixed mag that goes with it.

The Chinese SKS Guide says they came with matching serial numbered parts. But all that I've seen, (including mine), came with only the receiver, bolt carrier, bolt, and stock having stamped serial numbers. The magazine, trigger group, and receiver cover are non-numbered.  Examples:

As Greatguns already pointed out, if you could find a stock and handguard set in the pinned barrel configuration, along with a 10rd fixed OEM magazine, you would be most of the way to returning it to it's original glory. Without the original serial numbered stock it will not be as collectable as it once was. But it will hold it's value as a "para-length" carbine.
It is a very short little carbine with the folding stock on it.  thumb1  I have one of the Combat Exchange folding stocks for this one too. It does make a compact little house gun. And the 20rd mag compliments the package.

Just a quick suggestion; Check your gas tube and gas pistion for any carbon buildup, especially look for any rust or corrosion. Keep it clean! You won't find extra parts for these, they are a rare length on both parts and hard to find. Just a suggestion...

Welcome to the 'Files, BTW!  :)

firstchoice
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 06:54:56 AM by firstchoice »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
I've got a pinned barrel stock and an HG, but you may want to refinish the HG to match the stock as it' a little redder than the stock is. Stock has all the hardware, but you'll need a tension spring for your FCG.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline papato2

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 01:53:40 AM »
Hey - Many thanks to all who shared your knowledge and advise( and photos). It IS appreciated.  I think I’ll just be content with this being a handy little house/truck gun that didn’t break the bank to own and at the end of the day, it may not be collectible; but it is certainly unique and kind of hard to find.  Thanks again,

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
Hey - Many thanks to all who shared your knowledge and advise( and photos). It IS appreciated.  I think I’ll just be content with this being a handy little house/truck gun that didn’t break the bank to own and at the end of the day, it may not be collectible; but it is certainly unique and kind of hard to find.  Thanks again,

If you like it, and you own it, that's a big win in my book.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7