Author Topic: Gun Show Goodies!!  (Read 5358 times)

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Gun Show Goodies!!
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »
Went to our local gun show yesterday, and made some good deals on stuff that I wanted.  Wasn't really looking for guns, unless I ran onto something unresistable.  Also, didn't want to spend much money before Christmas. 

My best score was the old Lyman Mould Master Furnace, which isn't made anymore, but is in great shape.  I've already sat down and cast 500 pistol bullets with it. 

Aside from that, all I grabbed was some reloading stuff that was nearly free, but still needed.  700 small pistol primers, which are probably 80's vintage, and that antique can of Bullseye Powder which is still sealed up. 

My total for the day was only 150 bucks, which the furnace alone would cost.  And I'll soon have it paid off by selling plinkers to my buddies.

Had a friend with me, and he burned through about 400 bucks, and got tons of reloading supplies that would have probably cost 6 or 7 hunnert at retail. 

I did a lot of socializing (bullshipping), and telling the same old lies that I've been trading with the same old guys for years now. chuckles1  There was a little excitement towards the end of the day when the cops showed up to bust some guys who were trying to sell some stolen guns.  I haven't heard the whole story yet, and can't wait to.  jd

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Gun Show Goodies!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
Wow JD!  Looks like a pretty good afternoon!  Why is it that you only spent $150 while your buddy was out $400?!  I guess you're one of *those* kind of friends eh?  rofl2

That little furnace is pretty awesome!  thumb1

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
Did you connect DSL or satellite to the Underwood in order to type out that post? You're some kind of sorcerer! Witch!
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 10:19:32 PM »
Did you connect DSL or satellite to the Underwood in order to type out that post? You're some kind of sorcerer! Witch!

I read a few articles in "Backwoodsman Magazine", and "The Mother Earth News", and made a parabolic dish with chicken wire, tin foil and corrugated roofin tin.  It allows us to pick up satellite internet.  Got a water wheel in the ditch behind the yard, and solar back-up for power.  Uncle Bud learned radio repair in prison, and hooked up some kind of sensors to that typewriter and BINGO!!  I  just love the feel of that particular keyboard, and as a bonus I get a hard copy for everything I do on it.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »
Ha..  great scores JD!

What kinda furnace were you using before?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:51:24 AM »
Ha..  great scores JD!

What kinda furnace were you using before?

I've been using one of the Lee furnaces.  Think it's called the "production pot".  Like a lot of the Lee stuff, it works, it's inexpensive, but it ain't the best.  The bottom drop spout system can be a headache on any of them, but the Lee always had a case of the drips.  This one is way mobetta, and holds more alloy to boot.  jd

Offline Crazyone

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • This won't hurt a bit!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »
What lead is best for reloading?  A guy locally had 30 or 40 lbs of melted lead type (used for printing)---guess he is a scrapper--pops up on Craigs every once in a while--
Give me your poor-your broke-your homeless-Blued & Birch Letter guns and your DDR/Liski's !

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
Nice haul! I love that lead smelter, uh, melter.

I noticed Wilmington on the Bullseye Powder can and that got me curious about its history, since Wilmington is the home of DuPont (I interviewed at DuPont Central Research once).  Apparently Hercules Powder Co. was created when DuPont was forced to divest its holdings under the Sherman Antitrust Act in the early 1900's.  Much later, Hercules Inc. spun off their powder business as Alliant Powder.  Bullseye powder has been manufactured since 1898! 

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »
What lead is best for reloading?  A guy locally had 30 or 40 lbs of melted lead type (used for printing)---guess he is a scrapper--pops up on Craigs every once in a while--

You can use different alloys for different purposes.  For instance, if your casting for muzzle loaders or very low velocity pistol you can and should use softer fairly pure lead alloy.  Higher velocity, generally requires harder alloy such as the linotype metal that your local guy has. 
You can mix various types or add specific metal to get the desired alloy for what you're doing. 
For most of what I do, wheel weights work fine, or wheel weights with tin added. 

Bullseye powder has been manufactured since 1898! 

Heck Phos, I think I'm still using some of that batch.  chuckles1 jd

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »
Rofl...   I bet he aint kidding either.    rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.