Author Topic: romanian 1969 defense trainer .22s  (Read 1384 times)

Offline santaroga

• constitutional imperialist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Desert Rat
romanian 1969 defense trainer .22s
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
I've got three of these now. I love both the history of them and the rifles themselves. They are pretty close (aside from not being tapped for rings) to the ideal .22 bolt action.

I just picked up the third yesterday. three more to go (one for each kid, one for me, one for ShopGirl)

1983, 1986, and 1988. 83 and 96 both have matching bolts- which is to be expected, and are older CAI import marks.

1986 is the new ugly dot matrix and, of course, being a recent century import, has a non matching bolt

chocolate chip vet.

rule 1: do stuff
rule 2: don't let "lacka" prevent you from doing stuff
rule 3: finish some thing every day

Offline santaroga

• Cadet
  • Desert Rat
Re: romanian 1969 defense trainer .22s
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 07:30:05 PM »
I managed to get 100 of the original cleaning kits and clenaing rods. the clenaing kit does store in the butt (but I won't use the squares off steel jag and patch tool)

These are fantastically balanced, very accurate, ridiculously handy guns. I wish they were ont he C&R list. (earliest one I've personally seen is 1975)

If you aren't familiar with them, sks/ak style front sight post, fully hooded, with flip up nothces in the rear calibrated to 25, 50, and 100 meters.

If you aren't familiar with the history of these, they were in a weird way a part of an independence movement.
chocolate chip vet.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:58:15 PM »
Nice! They are nice .22s. Trigger isn’t the sweetest in the world but it works. Mine’s a 1978 with mismatched bolt and the aforementioned dot matrix import mark. Has a Taiwanese mag that functions fine. Unfortunately, no cleaning kit or sling.

I have never heard an “independence movement” story associated with these. Color me curious.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:55:34 PM »
I have a soft spot for 22s.    ;)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
those are neat, thanks for sharing.  thumb1 ----->  :o cleaning kit looks similar to sks and ak ones.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline santaroga

• Cadet
  • Desert Rat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 07:08:02 PM »
not a plug, but koyotestuff on ebay and you'll find the cleaning kits.  the rods are just hard to ship. They are based on, technically, I suppose, AK cleaning kits, but SKS cleaning kits, whatever. the front sight is, too.

Story time:

SO, as I understand it, when the soviets crushed the nascent Czech freedom movement in the late 60s, the romanians (coincidentally with a massive economic crisis- lots of machine operators and nothing to machine) formed Patriotig Guard units everywhere. and I mean EVERYWHERE, every little town and village. to train them, they started pumping out a brno based .22 design with a nice mauser style safety and a creepy two stage trigger.

Somehow, no one knows quite how as far as I can tell, the romanians ended up prodicing match grade bores. No joke, people can pull 20 round groups under 3/4 inch at 50 yards with these rifles. After doing a trigger job and changing the sighting.

Anyway, these became the training rifles for, essentially, the entire nation as they fought to prevent a soviet incursion and beat down A La Czhekloslovakia.

Unfortunately, they aren't $60 anymore. I found two of the three for just under $100 and $100 even out the door. nowdays $200 seems to be more like it. I'd really like to find more.

Scope mounts aren't a thing, the top is ribbed but not dovetailed, it's not a mount. you can drill and tap for a mount easily. I haven't chucked on in the mill and done that yet, but I probably will. I have a 2-7 bushnell variable with BDC from their "Ar optics" line, it's a .22 BDC. might try it. (I think the PA .22 plinker fixed 6x ACSS would be neat, though)

you can get magazines, made in taiwan. they work.

it's kind of clunky on the outside, but they are just amazing shooters. And the flip up range sights do actually work well

chocolate chip vet.