Author Topic: I'll take point!  (Read 14754 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
I'll take point!
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Bought this one some time ago locally for $100.  The barrel was chopped at 16.5" at 70° and no crown.  The previous owner had also camo painted the stock and added a large black skull to both sides.   ::)

I fixed the muzzle, added a d&t Capco mount holding a Nikon Pro Staff, made a handguard that covers the RSB, a solid ebony cheek riser, and an ebony butt extension.  Even Blicero would have fun shooting this gun.

Due to not having access to the stripper cliop guides on the carrier, the fixed 10 rounder was made "drop free" via removal of the retaining collar and spot welding the swing portion of the mag in place. Topped it off with my custom made Talon extended mag release and the system works great.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Re: I'll take point!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »
Her is how it was when I bought it.   fart1

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:52:23 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
Whoever said you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear never laid eyes on this one. Great job Cannon, that's beautiful.

So how is the hand guard anchored? Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
I have a small countersunk screw going down through the top and into a piece of aluminum thats anchored under the lip where the rear sight leaf goes. Turning the screw pulls up on the alum block drawing the handguard down and locks it in.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:39:40 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »
I have a small countersunk screw going down through the top and into a piece of aluminum that anchored under the lip where the rear sight leaf goes. Turning the screw pulls up on the alum block drawing the handguard down an locks it in.

Brilliant! Thanks.

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:32:04 AM »
You should take the gas button off and plug weld the gas valve in place then smooth out the gas block. It would be a nice touch.

:)........................Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »
HA, the MythBusters were right, you can polish a turd!!! thumb1

I'll admit while I am a Purist, I kinda like it  :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
You should take the gas button off and plug weld the gas valve in place then smooth out the gas block. It would be a nice touch.

:)........................Joe

Not a bad idea....   I have a regular gas block I should swap to.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »
Modified but not bubba'd...that's just fine craftsmanship there  8)  Nice job turning Bubba's abomination into something functional and beautiful.

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
I was and still am a fan of this rifle. It just looks unfinished without a muzzle device. It needs a unique device. Nothing store bought. Something from your imagination.

8)..................Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 11:39:27 AM »
I was and still am a fan of this rifle. It just looks unfinished without a muzzle device. It needs a unique device. Nothing store bought. Something from your imagination.

8)..................Joe

I agree with XXX, it's an outstanding job you did with this carbine but the muzzle does need.....something!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
Hmmm...  suggestions?

Offline Gator Monroe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
 Chinese Flat side (No Star Stamping) 20  round "Star " Magazine & a leather Milsurp British rifle sling with lotsa brass hardware would give it a late "Steam Punk" kinda look

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
Hmmm...  suggestions?

Everyones tastes are different of course but this one "trips my trigger"...

TAPCO INTRAFUSE RAZR AK Muzzle Brake AK0689

Or:

Amazon.com: yugo sks muzzle brake

Or if you have access to a milling machine and a lathe, you would be limited only by your imagination!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
I remember that rifle, in both conditions, LOL.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »
I've been curious about receiver cover mounted scopes....do they hold center well?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »
I've been curious about receiver cover mounted scopes....do they hold center well?

Never used one... but I hear not. 

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »

Power, the last Chinese SKS we bought had a cover mounted scope and it was a piece of crap. I took it off and bought an unmarked cover to replace it.

It did not hold center at all when the cover was removed to clean it and we had problems with a wandering zero each time we fired it. This is just my opinion but they are not worth the expense or trouble.  pullhair1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
There are ways to make them hold, but you mess with the originality that way a little bit.

Having said that, I have used the kind with the set screws(NOT NCStar, they are worthless). A method I have used that seems to work is to use blue loc-tite on the set screws on one side and then snug them down. After that you just use the screws on the other side to tighten and loosen to remove. It not only helps in holding zero, but helps in the return to zero upon re-installation.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline panoz77

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
Bought this one some time ago locally for $100.  The barrel was chopped at 16.5" at 70° and no crown.  The previous owner had also camo painted the stock and added a large black skull to both sides.   ::)

I fixed the muzzle, added a d&t Capco mount holding a Nikon Pro Staff, made a handguard that covers the RSB, a solid ebony cheek riser, and an ebony butt extension.  Even Blicero would have fun shooting this gun.

Due to not having access to the stripper cliop guides on the carrier, the fixed 10 rounder was made "drop free" via removal of the retaining collar and spot welding the swing portion of the mag in place. Topped it off with my custom made Talon extended mag release and the system works great.

I love seeing old humpy, I like that one  :P

This might look pretty good on humpy
PKM Short Flash Hider for PSL
Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut