Author Topic: The best red dot sight mounting system by far  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Cupid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: The best red dot sight mounting system by far
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 03:15:51 PM »
The mount and the red dot are personally of no interest, as I like the iron sights on my SKSs, Mausers, etc. I just like them to look and shoot the way they were historically used, and to me a red dot looks completely out of place on these rifles, like sidewinder missiles on a Sopwith Camel. Having it hung out on the end of the barrel like a harmonic dampener weight just doubles down on the out of place appearance :))

But to each their own. If it is reversible and doesn't harm the finish, do what you like.  :)

With 65 year old eyes being able to shoot with both eyes open makes all the difference, and my rifles don't give a damn.    I care about what works, what others think does not matter in the slightest.  :)
THE WELDER GIVETH AND THE FILE TAKETH AWAY

ARSE~!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
But to each their own. If it is reversible and doesn't harm the finish, do what you like.  :)

With 65 year old eyes being able to shoot with both eyes open makes all the difference, and my rifles don't give a damn.    I care about what works, what others think does not matter in the slightest.  :)

Agreed. Enjoy  :)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
I have to admit that sidewinders on a Sopwith Camel AND a turbo'ed carriage both sound kinda cool.

Like Hot Wheels cars kinda cool.  Seriously, I can visualize it.

As for the dots - use them, don't use them, it's not that deep. I have a few around here, but they're on newer platforms.

Just get out and shoot!   
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 09:34:01 PM »
The mount and the red dot are personally of no interest, as I like the iron sights on my SKSs, Mausers, etc. I just like them to look and shoot the way they were historically used, and to me a red dot looks completely out of place on these rifles, like sidewinder missiles on a Sopwith Camel. Having it hung out on the end of the barrel like a harmonic dampener weight just doubles down on the out of place appearance :))

rofl rofl rofl rofl
That's pure gold.

Do you use dirt cheap red dots? I would think they wouldn't last long at the end of the barrel like that.  I use scout mounted scopes/red dots on SKSs, and it does look a bit strange, but with my vision and the current state of correcting it, it's a heck of a lot easier than irons....and easier than a traditionally placed scope even.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
This is certainly a very expensive and complicated system...
My advice for a cheap red dot sight is as follows.
1) buy a red sharpie.. rofl

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »

rofl rofl rofl rofl
That's pure gold.

Do you use dirt cheap red dots? I would think they wouldn't last long at the end of the barrel like that.  I use scout mounted scopes/red dots on SKSs, and it does look a bit strange, but with my vision and the current state of correcting it, it's a heck of a lot easier than irons....and easier than a traditionally placed scope even.

;)  I didn't mean to be a d*** with the Sopwith Camel comment, just mildly amusing  didnt do  :))

My extremely myopic astigmatic eyes definitely appreciate a good scope, red dot or reflex sight, but my purist side won't allow me to put them on my milsurps. I'll reserve them for my AR, PSL, Tavor, etc.

Offline Cupid

• Rifleman
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020, 10:52:49 PM »

rofl rofl rofl rofl
That's pure gold.

The cheapest red dot available. About 1000 rounds later and still going strong.  :)

THE WELDER GIVETH AND THE FILE TAKETH AWAY

ARSE~!