Author Topic: #3 of 4 on recent purchases, the Russian.  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
#3 of 4 on recent purchases, the Russian.
« on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:21 PM »
I REALLLLY wanted to save this one for last, but I am a) on a roll, and b) still waiting for the 4th one to show up from USPS limbo. SO, here ya go, a GB purchase 1950 Tula heavy refurb(all the BBQ, but better than most) set in a, yep you got it, Combat Exchange Ultra-lite folding stock. Fortunately for me the previous owner left the laminated HG on the gas tube and I was able to find a scrubbed laminated stock from our northern neighbors that matches pretty well. Numbers matching except stock, but you can't see a number on the stock so we have that at least. Otherwise, just missing mag pouches and a cleaning kit.(I have a CCCP oiler bottle). To put it to my liking I have purchased an early Russian blued blade bayonet to give this the "dark-side" effect that I will replace the current one with. Oh, and yes it does have the correct spring loaded firing pin.

Before and After(to date) pics for your viewing pleasure;

The ammo pouch is my daughter's I found for her a long time ago. If anyone has a line on 2 of these let me know please. Also, you may notice the HG is glossy and the main body is matte. Opinions on whether I should steel wool the finish on the HG to match the stock or put a gloss finish on the stock. I do kind of like the matte finish, but realize refurb norm was more towards the gloss finish.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: #3 of 4 on recent purchases, the Russian.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
ФН is a known 1950 prefix. That's consistent with the 45 degree gas block, spring loaded firing pin, bolt and rear sight base among the early features that are visible in your photos.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 10:56:45 PM »
ФН is a known 1950 prefix. That's consistent with the 45 degree gas block, spring loaded firing pin, bolt and rear sight base among the early features that are visible in your photos.

Thanks for the info Phos. I think I'm going to come out alright on all three of these after I get all the aftermarket stuff I took off of them sold.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:30:48 AM »
Sweet!  drool2
Aside from the brake, that is almost identical to a 50 I saw on FB today...and you did almost precisely what I told the poster he should do.
I gotta get one of these someday.

Can't wait to see it with the new bayonet...did you check to see if this one is staked though?

While you are searching for the ammo pouches, keep an eye peeled for an early Russian sling too, they aren't very common to find, but they are out there. The leather is stitched in rather than riveted, and aside from being period correct, are a bit easier on the blueing and shellac.  Wish I could help on the pouches, but I have the two I need for mine only.  Is your daughter's one of the naval ones?

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 10:52:15 AM »
Sweet!  drool2
Aside from the brake, that is almost identical to a 50 I saw on FB today...and you did almost precisely what I told the poster he should do.
I gotta get one of these someday.

Can't wait to see it with the new bayonet...did you check to see if this one is staked though?

While you are searching for the ammo pouches, keep an eye peeled for an early Russian sling too, they aren't very common to find, but they are out there. The leather is stitched in rather than riveted, and aside from being period correct, are a bit easier on the blueing and shellac.  Wish I could help on the pouches, but I have the two I need for mine only.  Is your daughter's one of the naval ones?

Yeah, I looked and couldn't find an earlier sling, but this was a good price so grabbed it. And yes, my daughter's pouch is a Navy pouch. Could have bought 10 when I got that one. Hindsight, it's always perfect, LOL.

On the Bayonet, I did see stake marks on the FSB, but haven't checked closely to see if someone else had already popped them or not.

Offline Cupid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 11:03:18 AM »
I had one of those folding stocks on a D, it was great and perfect for a truck gun but too long for me.

Interesting info about the 1950 model, there is much I have to learn.

I don't have an SKS with a ply stock, I will have to get one.
THE WELDER GIVETH AND THE FILE TAKETH AWAY

ARSE~!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 11:29:16 AM »
I had one of those folding stocks on a D, it was great and perfect for a truck gun but too long for me.

Interesting info about the 1950 model, there is much I have to learn.

I don't have an SKS with a ply stock, I will have to get one.

I picked this stock up on gunbroker from a guy in BC, and yeah, you have to be on the larger side for the LOP to work with those Ultra-lite stocks.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 11:32:29 PM »
The best for last. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 11:34:36 PM »
The best for last. PAX

I knew you'd like this one. Was trying to catch up to your posts to say "wait til you see the Russian" LOL. I have 1 more coming in, but that one is going synthetic.(I think)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 05:08:51 PM »
The facepalm bayonet came in today so I got it swapped out. And Justin, just so you know, yes the bayonet screw was staked, but as it turns out someone had already backed it out. Came out with little effort.
And, thanks to Justin, I now have an early Russian Black Navy SKS sling coming for it.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 08:24:14 PM »
Ahhhh, but it looks so very perfect.  Love it!!  clap1

I am glad you were able to fit a paratrooper bayonet on so nicely. I will now start looking for a black parachute for you. rofl

Did it also have a straight collar handle?   Were you able to tuck the stake marks back into place with adequate tightness?

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 09:56:34 PM »
GG, if you ever sell that blued bayonet, I'm your man! Looks great!

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
That really looks good.

I put a black bayo on a black T6 rifle for a bit, then changed it out for a long Yugo, and put the black Russian on an Izzy. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 11:17:38 PM »
Ahhhh, but it looks so very perfect.  Love it!!  clap1

I am glad you were able to fit a paratrooper bayonet on so nicely. I will now start looking for a black parachute for you. rofl

Did it also have a straight collar handle?   Were you able to tuck the stake marks back into place with adequate tightness?

Yes, everything was all present and correct on the incoming bayonet for my 1950 Russian. Didn't look at the staking to see if I got it lined back up correctly. Making note to do that in the AM.
As for the black parachute, YES. My wife can make a mourning/funeral dress out of it for when she kills me after finding out how much money I've been spending on SKSs this month. rofl rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1

On a more serious note, thanks guys. I'll post another pic up when the black Navy sling arrives.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 11:43:06 AM »
Alas, all I could find are parachute bags, all green....and buttloads of 'jump pins' commemorating number of jump goals.

Also it appears as the the SKS wasn't used by the paratroopers at all.  You got rooked!  chuckles1
They apparently used AK-74Ms, AK-12s, RPKs, PKMs, Dragunovs, among other things that must have been as much for ballast as the soldier was. :P

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »
Alas, all I could find are parachute bags, all green....and buttloads of 'jump pins' commemorating number of jump goals.

Also it appears as the the SKS wasn't used by the paratroopers at all.  You got rooked!  chuckles1
They apparently used AK-74Ms, AK-12s, RPKs, PKMs, Dragunovs, among other things that must have been as much for ballast as the soldier was. :P

And here I was waiting for the "couldn't find a Black Parachute because the Navy didn't use them, but here's a black life preserver" joke!! rofl rofl

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »

And here I was waiting for the "couldn't find a Black Parachute because the Navy didn't use them, but here's a black life preserver" joke!! rofl rofl

Better than the wife finding out and throwing you off the nearest cliff to see if it worked.  chuckles1

If she get's grumpy, and when you are done if there is any Russian Navy SKS stuff left........... rofl
I will perhaps go Navy for mine too.

Have you found a proper 1950 cleaning kit yet? They are different from 49 kits, and subsequent kits... I swear, I am not joshing you.  :)
It's very slight...but my Russian friend Vadim sent me a 49 when the best he had was a 50 at the time...along with a spare pin, minus the spring though unfortunately.
Actually, it was his daughter Polina who sent it...which I found odd, and never heard back from either of them again when thanking her/them. Seriously...not kidding.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
Got my Black Navy SKS sling from the Ukraine today. took less than 2 weeks to get here. Also came with a free Russian rubber band(see 2nd pic) chuckles1 chuckles1

One step closer to, as Justin put it, my Naval Commisar SKS! Sling is 1952 stamped, but it's a lot closer than the green one was.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 06:23:21 PM by Greatguns »

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
Der Justin approves.
 thumb1

That looks really nice!

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 06:33:47 PM »
Der Justin approves.
 thumb1

That looks really nice!

Yep, that's a heck of a rubber band ain't it? all the way from Ukraine. rofl rofl