Author Topic: Price check Mosin Sniper  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Price check Mosin Sniper
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
The other day at the bar I bumped into the guy I got my Steyr Mannlicher from, and over a couple of drinks we got to talking about his travels.  He recently came across a Mosin sniper, with the matching serial scope for sale semi locally. I don't recall off the top of my head what he said the price was, we were fairly deep in libation, but it didn't seem too unreasonable, today he texted to see if I was interested or not, and later texted again to tell me it will be awhile, as the shop owner just tested positive....so I have a bit of time, provided he lives and all.

What is the REALISTIC price these should be fetching?  Searches around show some pretty insane high prices, and I don't keep up with Mosins enough to know if I could potentially be getting a spectacular deal. Since all prices seem to be a little on the insane side currently.  On GB I saw one with a bid of $700 with a BIN of $850...ONE picture.  ::)  A couple others were in the $1200 range, no bids.

I want to say the number I was told was $700 firm.  I dunno if hex or round, year or anything...but my interest is piqued. Considering Cabela's (yeah I know) is selling plain ol' ratty wartime beaverchew round receivers for $350, I am a little taken aback as just a few years back I got my prewar for $120...well, I guess seven is more than a few...but still.

Should I consider it or run away?

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
Re: Price check Mosin Sniper
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:34:17 PM »
I think $700 would be a fair amount to pay for it.  Several years ago I paid $640 each for two pu snipers that I bought.  No longer have them since when money got tight, I moved them on to the next owners.  I would gladly pay $700 for one that was all matching these days!

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 08:25:31 PM »
That's good to hear, I just hope my foggy memory is correct.  It would be a hoot if it's actually less than that.  This buddy is a fan of the employees at the local bar, so he hooks us up with the good deals he comes across at cost, just because he enjoys gun shopping like a woman into shoes. A bartender got a 1960 Walther PP in the box for $500 last week.   I was a little jelly, and I am really not into handgun collecting....yet

Of course I had to bring this up with the wife today, her birthday....she didn't seem too keen.  Granted this was after building and presenting her gift....a soil screening box. That didn't enthuse much either. Looks like I will be the one sifting the Rocky Mountains out of the floor of the new shed.  chuckles1

But the anniversary is in five days, perhaps we can come to an agreement and hope for the poor guy's health to improve. I might have to sell my 91/30 though, I made the mistake of opening that can o worms as an option. But, it collects dust and the T53 gets all the action. I am kind of a fan of the fireballs. Heck though, the Mannlicher ammo shows up tomorrow. 8x56r....my shoulder injury from last year is a little scared.  :-[

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:31:46 PM »
I love my T53!  I actually like it more than any of the 91/30s or M44s I have ever owned!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 08:35:06 PM »
If it's a legit PU, $700 would be a steal. An M91/30 PU certainly wouldn't have a hex receiver, as the PU scope and mount was introduced in 1942. Rounded screw heads on the adjustment knobs.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 08:49:29 PM »
If it's a legit PU, $700 would be a steal. An M91/30 PU certainly wouldn't have a hex receiver, as the PU scope and mount was introduced in 1942. Rounded screw heads on the adjustment knobs.

Even better to know, as I likely will not get a chance to see it. Since the serial matches the scope, that should in theory be what you would see vs. those cheapo aftermarket ones right?  So should I expect the lackluster workmanship of a wartime 91/30 or were the scoped ones loved a little longer? I kinda trust this guy to not pick up junk, and him telling me the scope was serialized certainly raised an eyebrow. 

I have been a two 54r guy for several years now, as RM has me scared a little bit, at least to try maintain some control over them vs. the obvious SKS problem. :)

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 12:38:15 AM »
If it's a legit PU, $700 would be a steal.

Agreed. The scopes alone are selling for that or better these days.
Serialed together - not a put together job - all the better.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 12:47:02 AM »
OMG....an impromtu birthday party for the wife led me back to the bar for a spell.

$550 is the firm price....which also makes me a little firm too.

:o

Apparently this was an old timey Cowboy gun shop/consignor type deal. Might not have to wait for the shop owner to be non Covid. Its only about an hour and a half away. My buddy wants to take me with him to see it. The seller seems motivated....and nobody gets to buy until my guy is there to see it first.  I am very piqued now!

ROAD TRIP!

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 01:51:54 AM »

$550.00 is a great price for what it's been described as! Go for it!

firstchoice

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 02:26:52 AM »
I love my T53!  I actually like it more than any of the 91/30s or M44s I have ever owned!

That makes me happy, as an M44 would be the logical choice to better a T53.  But the post Albanian treatment has the trigger so very sweet...and I can live with a functional ugly gun. I have yet to see an M44 around here anyway.  I got mine in trade for a basically wall hangar Thompson knock off with a terrible feed ramp, along with a 64 /26\ SKS.  The T53 was the spare change leftover from the trade credit.  Had I just walked in and paid cash... $79.  This was during the post Sandy Hook boom. The SKS was whoppingly priced at around $259 iirc.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »
Broner time!!!

I'll have a buddy drive over from South Dakota at that price.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7