Author Topic: Mosin 91/30  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Mike M

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Mosin 91/30
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »
I picked this up from Classic firearms back in March, I believe they said it was a factory referb. I really don't know much about older rifles, I am also to understand I kind of missed the boat on the surplus market, better late then never I guess. Any thoughts or advice from those with more knowledge is welcome thanks.

Thank you.
"...You can ask me for anything you like, except time" - Napoleon

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Mosin 91/30
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 06:15:23 AM »
Congrats. You have a good refurbished (99.9% are) Tula M91/30 made in the year Hitler and Stalin carved up Poland. Low wall receiver and higher quality of metal finishing than those produced from 1941-44. It has a post-WWII replacement stock, as indicated by the solid pressed in sling escutcheons. It was refurbished at the 7th GRAU Arsenal in Riga of the former Latvian SSR, indicated by the square marking. You’ll likely find the serial numbers, if matching, have a different font than the barrel serial number due to being scrubbed and restamped at refurbishment.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 09:08:13 AM »
nice Mike (round receiver, might want to look for hex receiver for your next one).  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Mike M

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »
Thank you for the info, I do like it a lot. The barrel has some pitting, I am to understand they used corrosive ammo back in the day so...It shoots ok, I would call it combat accurate, not a tack driver.
Yes I would like to get one with a hex receiver, they are more desirable and harder to find right? Buying these types of rifles is addictive, but everyone needs a hobby right?
"...You can ask me for anything you like, except time" - Napoleon

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:39 PM »
Thank you for the info, I do like it a lot. The barrel has some pitting, I am to understand they used corrosive ammo back in the day so...It shoots ok, I would call it combat accurate, not a tack driver.
Yes I would like to get one with a hex receiver, they are more desirable and harder to find right? Buying these types of rifles is addictive, but everyone needs a hobby right?

Yeah, "hex" M91/30s are still quite common but not as common as round receivers. Of course there are M44s or Type 53s from 5 different countries, M38s, M91s from 6 makers in the Imperial Russian era, M91 Dragoons, 5 basic Finnish models and a bunch of rarities, the M1907 carbine etc. etc.  :o rofl

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 12:09:30 AM »
Yeah, "hex" M91/30s are still quite common but not as common as round receivers. Of course there are M44s or Type 53s from 5 different countries, M38s, M91s from 6 makers in the Imperial Russian era, M91 Dragoons, 5 basic Finnish models and a bunch of rarities, the M1907 carbine etc. etc.  :o rofl

The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is to avoid Mosin #1...  :))

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:38:01 PM »
gee, it all started with just one. now it's at 30+ hex receivers and maybe one round weird variant rounded thing...and some shorties