Author Topic: Oddball Gas Tube  (Read 1055 times)

Online jmaurer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
Oddball Gas Tube
« on: December 25, 2021, 05:14:37 PM »
I think I saw a complete rifle on GB a couple of years ago with one of these, but the images were too indistinct to tell. Was this a method to give life to a corroded gas tube? From Apex Gun Parts (and unfortunately, out of stock):

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Oddball Gas Tube
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 06:08:07 PM »
Need a pic or a link. Otherwise we don't really know what you are referring to.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online jmaurer

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 06:14:56 PM »
Greatguns, sorry it's not showing up. I can see it when I open the post, but I haven't looked at the thread with a conventional laptop-may be mobile device hitch. I'll try to fix it, but in the meantime, here's the link:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/sks-gas-tube-w-extension-and-hg-gd.html

Edit: just checked the original post with a different connection and computer; looks OK with the image present as posted. Dunno...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 06:58:34 PM by jmaurer »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 07:08:29 PM »
Yeah, don't know what it was, but I can see it now. Looks like it started out life as an M59 gas tube and was modified to work with an M59/66.

Never seen one with a sleeve like that before. It could possibly just be an arsenal repair where the end of the tube got worn out so they cut it back and installed the sleeve.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online jmaurer

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 07:18:14 PM »
Ah, that may well be the case. The auction I remembered was for a 59/66A1, and you could just make out the difference in the color of the steel. I thought this modification could be corrosion-related since I've got a hard-used M59 with advanced pitting in the area of the "extension" from poor maintenance. I was never able to get clearer images from the seller, but I'm guessing this may be what was on the rifle.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 07:07:53 AM »
Looks like an SKSS or Sporter shortened tube...which except for a very limited run of guns were useless as 'parts'...that had an extension added to use with 59/66 SKSs.

Notice the electro penciled and stamped serials....and the location of the vent holes.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 11:33:59 AM »
Never looked beyond the first pic  :-[  Looks a little short to me, but why would Yugoslavia have obtained Chinese SKS-S gas tubes. Unless you're thinking more Albania getting stuff from the Chinese back when they got the actual Chinese rifles. I suppose that's very possible. Albanian makeshift repair??

Online jmaurer

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 12:10:54 PM »
From the Apex photos, the numbers [both Serial and electropencil batch (?) numbers] appear to me to be Yugoslavian, and a crude side-by-side with other photos doesn't look like the vent holes are substantially out-of-place from an unmodified 59/66 variant gas tube. I wish I'd seen these earlier and picked one up just from an academic standpoint. I guess that's the reason these Apex parts piqued my interest: were any complete rifles imported with these gas tubes, and is that what I remember from a long-past auction?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 12:22:18 PM »
Interesting. I’d like to have one just to study it. The numbers in the third photo show that the example photographed is from an M59/66-A1. A clever but ugly means of salvaging non-functioning corroded gas tubes. I wonder if it was a product of the Civil Wars when the countries (not Serbia) were cut off from Zastava and needed to salvage their own finite number of weapons.

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
Could be some of the stuff left over from the run of stuff that came in with all the Bosnian TRB refurbs. They did funky things to M59/66s and calling them M59s, why not do funky things to a gas tube. Some commie recycling at it's best, lop off the gas erroded part, attach a new piece, call it good enough for government work.  chuckles1 and it worked, they sold out.  rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 01:20:12 PM »
Could be.

There were some weird M59's that popped up a while back with in the white gas tubes:

But I don't remember seeing these franken-tubes out there.  Maybe they were and I just missed them.  Neat idea, esp. for salvaging an otherwise unusable tube.