Author Topic: Cut-away SKS  (Read 1916 times)

Offline trigger96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Cut-away SKS
« on: October 08, 2018, 12:25:14 AM »
A few years ago I got a Chicom DB SKS in trade and when I broke it down for cleaning I discovered the bottom of the receiver and barrel (near the receiver) had large chunks of steel ground away by a previous owner.  I was pissed!  Having been an armorer for several years, I decided the weapon is down and unserviceable, I can't sell or trade it with others safety in mind.  That plus no gunsmith would reweld the damaged receiver.

I got rid of the TAPCO stock it came in and hunted down a factory stock, since externally it still looked good.  I have since decided, not just to demil it, but to repurpose it and have it converted to a cut-away.  Now for the challenge, who can make a good cut-away without breaking the bank?

flower peoms
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:38:24 AM by trigger96 »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Cut-away SKS
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
This is what happens when someone fits a threaded barrel stock to a pinned barreled action and fubars the barreled action rather then alter the stock/crosspin. 

I doubt it would create any real issues in fuction or safety. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline trigger96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
Being an LEO now liability's to high for my taste.  I'll be happy having it converted to a cut-away, and hanging it on my wall, any recommendations?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
Part it out and buy an already completed cutaway or.... buy a dremel and good files.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »
I'm a gunsmith and I could turn it into a display cutaway for you.