Author Topic: SVT40 1943 with late and early features  (Read 282 times)

Offline theSKSguy45

• I huff cosmoline recreationally
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
SVT40 1943 with late and early features
« on: March 07, 2024, 12:05:54 AM »
My 1943 SVT40. It came with one original mag and the rest I grabbed are repros. The sling is a mosin sling with an Amazon “AKS74U” front sling attachment clip added. The gas adjustment tool cost more than I expected but given I need it for the rifle to function I’m happy to pay the price, especially because it’s an original one and not a repro.

Rifle assembled

Disassembled

Bolt and bolt carrier (bolt carrier looks like it had the purple refurb coating removed)

upper metal handguard

Wooden upper handguard

Earlier 6-port muzzle brake

No rails on the receiver

The earlier style of forward sling swivel

Serialized gas system components

Trigger group

Stock cartouche, markings, and other notable features (stock is marked 1943 if it’s not clear)

1x original mag 3x repro mags. The repros were like $100CAD each so I was disappointed to find one came with bent to **** feed lips. Furthermore they wouldn’t accept a return so I fixed it myself (we will see how I did when I shoot it next). I also recently got some cheap letter and number stamps and figured I’d stamp the rifle’s serial on the mag body (I made sure to stamp repro on the floor plate for anyone who can’t tell it’s a repro). I’m not trying to fool anyone I just like the look of stamped serials and figured I’d try it out (obviously I’m a novice).

Anyways, anyone have any idea why this rifle has a mix of old and new features? I thought that rifles from this year should have phased out the older features.
My bank account is in a permanent state of emergency thanks to this site

Offline theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
Re: SVT40 1943 with late and early features
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 12:07:48 AM »
Realized I forgot some markings.

Offline BMont

• Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 03:17:42 PM »
Love the SVT 40.  They have become pricey down south of the boarder.  Looks like you have a pretty nice one.  Hows the bore? 

Offline theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 04:39:25 PM »
Mint. The rifle was in packing grease when I picked it up second hand.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:33:37 PM »
My 1943 SVT40. It came with one original mag and the rest I grabbed are repros. The sling is a mosin sling with an Amazon “AKS74U” front sling attachment clip added. The gas adjustment tool cost more than I expected but given I need it for the rifle to function I’m happy to pay the price, especially because it’s an original one and not a repro.

Anyways, anyone have any idea why this rifle has a mix of old and new features? I thought that rifles from this year should have phased out the older features.

Because it went through post war refurb.

Offline theSKSguy45

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 10:41:36 PM »
I was under the understanding that by 1943 there shouldn’t have been any 6-port muzzle brakes left in production and the two port would have been standard. Would the brake have been swapped out during refurb or am I wrong about that part being phased out?

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 10:46:01 PM »
I was under the understanding that by 1943 there shouldn’t have been any 6-port muzzle brakes left in production and the two port would have been standard. Would the brake have been swapped out during refurb or am I wrong about that part being phased out?

changed during refurb. Your rilfe is a mixmaster. Nothing uncommon.