Author Topic: How do you top off a SKS mag ?  (Read 7754 times)

Offline alfred

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rifleman
How do you top off a SKS mag ?
« on: April 26, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
Question ?
When shooting my full loaded 10 round Standard SKS rifle, if I only shoot 3 rounds and I have some extra rounds in my pocket, what is the best way to top it off with my extra rounds to refill the mag back to 10 rounds without clearing the chamber and dumping the 6 rounds remaining in the mag ?

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: How do you top off a SKS mag ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
Hand load em in from the top.  :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline alfred

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
Hi Loose{}Cannon :
I understand you, but how do you get the bolt to hold open ?

Example :
A Ruger Minnie  14 or 30 has a bolt hold open notch on the outside of the receiver, the SKS does not.   

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »
True...  would be a three handed operation.   :-\

Left hand loads
Right hand holds bolt open
Crotch hand hold buttstock.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline alfred

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:07:03 PM »
Now that I now know that I have a third hand I think the job will become much easier. OK1

Now I must learn how to use my new third hand, this will take practice to perfect.  whew1

Thanks,
Alfred  8) 

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Hey Alfred, what would be the main reason for wanting to do something like this. I only ask because you've got a round in the chamber ready to go. Attempting to do anything but fire at your target is adding an additional and possibly unnecessary risk.

I was thinking you could turn the gun upside down, open the mag release from the bottom, open the mag, and load rounds from the bottom Miculek-style, but that round in the chamber while this is all going on raises the hairs on the back of my neck.  I guess you could always clear the chamber, force the bolt to close w/o picking up a new round, and then proceed to do this, but man what a PITA.

I'd much rather shoot em all, then manually reload the three or four in my pocket into an empty gun with the BHO properly engaged. wink1

Offline alfred

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
The SKS is a fighting rifle, so if one is using the rifle in a fight as the rifle was designed to save ones life wouldn't you want it topped off as much as possible. 
 tommy1

Ok say you shoot 3 or even 7 rounds then you get undercover, but soon you know you will no longer be undercover ?   bat1

When you change from being undercover to not being undercover wouldn't you want a full mag instead of only having a couple of rounds and then having to reload when you are exposed to your enemy at a time you are no longer undercover ?  :o

That's why I would want to top my SKS off, so when I am no longer undercover I have the maximum amount of ammo in the rifle instead of only a few rounds.  shooting1

The only sad thing about the SKS is it does not have the convenience of a quick mag change, but if all one has is a SKS, it is good to know how to work with what you have if it is pressed into use as a fighting weapon for defense of yourself and others.  thumb1

Sincerely,
Alfred 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:53:43 PM by alfred »

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:50:18 PM »
Covering fire while slapping another stripper clip in on the fly?     :)

Note to self: Practice loading strippers on the run.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 05:41:44 PM »
Ahh, if we're at that point, not pointing the muzzle at the guy in the next shooting stall isn't high on the list of priorities I guess!  chuckles1

I think in your scenario, pulling the bolt back and holding it open while loading the extra rounds is probably the way to go.  Maybe get a bunch of snap caps or inert rounds and practice to see how hard/easy the operation truly is?  I'd suspect with some practice, you could do it pretty quickly as well as work on doing it quietly.  thumb1

Offline alfred

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
ya :
I really didn't want to go into a commando type scenario, I hope people here don't now think I'm trying to be a Rambo clone.

I hope I didn't come off that way.   gunfighter1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 06:40:50 PM »
It's a good question Alfred. But like running-man says it is something that has to be practiced. It is very risky however so it goes without saying that extreme caution should be exercised if one feels the need to top off. I have tried it and for me it isn't worth the risk or trouble.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 07:24:53 PM »
If you're that entrenched in the belief that the SKS is a fighting rifle, you should have detachable 20rd. mags in your guns. Why sacrifice firepower when your life is on the line?
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:28:28 PM »
Finish off the last 3 shots, hand empty rifle to spotter to reload, pick up loaded SKS he/she loaded while you were shooting.    rofl2

Wait, hold up just a flippin minute....  a box of ammo holds 20, the rifle/stripper holds 10, 2 reloadings per box, so according to the math, there is really no excuse for having 3 random cartridges in your pocket.

I mean who loads 6 rounds and piddles with the other four..   hunting, maybe, I could see, but to me, it ain't a hunting rifle, it's a SKS. I'll just use my one hit wonder, a .45-70, cause I ain't walking.

Yea, I hate having an odd number of left over rounds, unequal boxes of ammo errrrrk me, thumb1 they need to either be empty or full, like the weapon.   Almost like being almost pregnant. rofl2 rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline alfred

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
If you're that entrenched in the belief that the SKS is a fighting rifle, you should have detachable 20rd. mags in your guns. Why sacrifice firepower when your life is on the line?

You have a good point.  clap1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »
If you have long finger like I do:  butt of rifle on right thigh, top hold with right hand, thumb hooked over bolt from the top, index and trailing fingers behind the trigger guard.  Holds the bolt open and leaves your supporting hand to top it off.  Might be tough from the prone position. 

Offline Tank50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »
This sounds like a really bad (dangerous) idea. Check out reply#3 in this thread to see why. http://www.the 'other' boards/smf/index.php?topic=137830.0 If you want a rifle that can be continually topped off a lever action or pump gun would suit you. The SKS isn't meant for this.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
Just a few notes of mention here...

It shouldn't be dangerous to top off an SKS. As soon as you pull the bolt back, you're going to eject the round in the chamber, so it will unloaded at that point.

The bolt hold open tab is a free sliding part. You can actually pull it up very easily once the bolt is open. It's a bit hard to get to with rounds in there though. But you could easily fashion a small wire hook tool to grab it.

Just rest the stock against your leg or foot, pull the bolt back and hold it with one hand, then use your other hand to slide the hold open up and let the bolt rest against it. Now you are free to load extra rounds.

Also....I don't really understand the fixation with detachable mags. Unless you're going into battle with a backpack full of loaded mags, there's not a lot of benefit. If you just have one or two mags on you, you still have to load them, which takes the same time as hand loading an SKS. And then it's also a part you can loose or damage.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 02:03:35 PM by Power Surge »