Author Topic: BBQ Paint on a refurb 1950. Remove it or not?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline 100Acre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
BBQ Paint on a refurb 1950. Remove it or not?
« on: October 16, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
I have an early and later 1950’s Tula Russians. The earlier one has that BBQ paint on it. Should I remove it and if so, how does one safely go about doing this or, should I leave it alone? Thanks

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: BBQ Paint on a refurb 1950. Remove it or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »
It is quite a daunting task...I have done it....on a 50 no less.
It was a BBQed barreled receiver, with an unpainted (until US owner) bolt carrier...which was chipping, which made me start stripping. Carrier was some kind of semi heavy duty rattle can stuff, the rest of the gun was pure Russian BBQ.

You have no idea what may be under the paint. In the parts I used to restore mine, I found more than a couple different ways the metal was prepped for the paint. It is a long way down past the paint until you get to unfettered metal.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »
I will dig mine out soon and share Pictures. Where would I find out the process and or chemicals for removing the paint? Also, would doing this effect the value? Just wondering if it’s worth doing. I’m a purest but if it would make it a nicer piece by returning it to it’s original condition...?

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:06:42 PM »
I'd be inclined to leave it alone.

I'm not fond of the black paint and have simply avoided getting those Russians, but it was just part of the Soviet refurbishment process at those GRAU facilities that practiced it during a particular era. You never know what you're going to find underneath...maybe mottled bluing or parkerizing? Then you're stuck stripping with phosphoric acid and rust bluing or something...and suddenly you find yourself far away from purist territory...just my two cents.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »
I agree with P32, just leave it alone.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »
I'd be curious to see if there was bluing under it, but the paint is a legit part of it's history.

If there's bare metal under the BBQ, you're into a whole nuther issue.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
To me, I'd consider it a bit bubba'd and would certainly offer less than if it was in its factory refurbished setting. If I was specifically seeking a 50' and saw evidence of some 'improving' I'd steer clear of that one at the auction when the 'well who knows what else they've messed with mentality' sets in.

Like Larry said, the BBQ paint is a legitimate example of the Soviet Unions refurbishment processes in place, and 1950 is a neat year, would be a shame IMO to bubbafy it permanently just for the original shiny bolt look, that you might not be able to duplicate correctly.  thumb1

Just my .02

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 02:56:58 PM »
Something else to consider, if it has one of those dot matrix new serial number/import stamps...those were not struck very hard, removing the paint may remove it entirely...which is kind of illegal, probably whether it was intended or not.  Mine is legible, but barely there anymore.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 12:16:15 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your input. At this point after reading your opinions, I plan on just leaving it as is. The refurbishment BBQ is part of its history. A non bbq would be nice but, I’ll just accept it as is. It only cost me about $240 last year, each. When I bought that one collection. These are the only two I have left from that collection. Something like 4 various Mosins, 4 SVT’s and 8 Russian SKS’s.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 12:46:34 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your input. At this point after reading your opinions, I plan on just leaving it as is. The refurbishment BBQ is part of its history. A non bbq would be nice but, I’ll just accept it as is. It only cost me about $240 last year, each. When I bought that one collection. These are the only two I have left from that collection. Something like 4 various Mosins, 4 SVT’s and 8 Russian SKS’s.

Personally, I don't like BBQ paint, but I can live with it if it was applied by a Soviet refurb facility.

Offline 100Acre

• Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 12:25:27 AM »

Personally, I don't like BBQ paint, but I can live with it if it was applied by a Soviet refurb facility.
Agreed.