Author Topic: Now, SKS30 #3  (Read 7359 times)

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: Now, SKS30 #3
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
They give the address as Mesa.  Going back to FC's last question that I missed, I asked my receiving FFL if he had seen the magazine that was supposed to come with it.  He replied a negative, but got the box, upended it and the mag came rattling out.

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
I always have my FFL to keep the box the firearm ships in, mostly so I can transport it home and not raise any eyebrows, and also to find anything left in the box, got a 24 Mil SKS and it had extra plastic 20 round mags in the bottom, we didn't even know they were in the box.

How is the stock repair going? Please post pics of your progress!

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »
owenj, I've kept the boxes, also.  Never know when you'll want to ship something out.  The repairs will have to wait till after the New Year.  A lot of other things on the burner.  I'll send pix of the steps of the process.  Cheers, Bruce.

P.S. Cool, this post makes me a Lance Corporal. Haven't seen that rank since 1981!!! dance2

Online firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 03:25:29 AM »
They give the address as Mesa.  Going back to FC's last question that I missed, I asked my receiving FFL if he had seen the magazine that was supposed to come with it.  He replied a negative, but got the box, upended it and the mag came rattling out.

It sounds like they either didn't know the value of this particular SKS or,...?, sheesh, I'm not sure why they let that be shipped out like that. It simply doesn't make much business sense, but we don't know the person that actually packed it for shipping, either. Have you heard anything from the Pawn Now business yet? Surely they would fix this for sake of future reputation on GunBroker? I hope it works out for you Bruce. I'm still trying to estimate how much weight/pressure it would have taken to break the stock like that.

Yeah, if I hadn't kept the boxes that my purchased guns were shipped in I would've always thought I missed somethingchuckles1  I've had cleaning rods and small parts fall out after the shippers tossed in extras before sealing the box. "Like a box of chocolates" kinda deal... :)

The Beta Arms SKS-30 is a great one to have regardless. Take your time and make the repairs. You obviously have the talent to do the repairs correctly. I look forward to seeing it whole again.  thumb1

firstchoice

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 07:32:00 AM »
FC, no response other than the "I'll have to talk to the Owner" email.  I sent one last Saturday thanking them for their (implied) help in the resolution of the matter and said that proportional feedback would be forthcoming.   Not a peep.  They must not understand my dry Anglo wit derisive1.  I might start work on her tonight.   Cheers, Bruce.

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »
I'm wishing the best for your repair and that it comes out well! Good Luck!

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »
Well, step one is dunn.  Let her dry over night and see about pinning. The finish on these is like a TruOil.  Should I use that or BLO? Gonna have to sand and steel wool her down anyway.

Aawwh, to heck with it. I wasn't doing anything tonight anyway...pins in, spaced at 1 1/2".  Total break at about 7".  Always save the sawdust to mix with glue for a filler.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:22:26 PM by Bacarnal »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2020, 01:19:11 PM »
Used a jeweler's saw to take the excess pins off.  I've used a Dremel before and it tends to heat the pin up and melt/scorch the glue.  Filed the pins to contour.  The brown filler that you see in the mag well looks to be a factory fill.  I file off the excess of that, also.  Right now the stock is drying after having give it a warm water bath and a scrub with #1 steel wool.  When it dries, I'll steel wool the raised grain with #00.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:55:42 AM by Bacarnal »

owenj492

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2020, 03:35:05 PM »
Wow! Very impressive work my friend!  thumb1

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2020, 03:46:03 PM »
I agree with the craftsmanship of repairing that stock. Looks like this is right up your alley. Like they say Bacarnal, God wouldn't give more then we can handle thumb1 Looking really good and now we really want more pics when your done fixing it all up. I know where im sending all my 249.00 dollar cracked stock specials : )  rofl

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
Wow, great job!

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2020, 06:34:27 PM »
    Thanks, owenj, BTS and DC.  I had a little bit of drill through on the first two pins up from the wrist. Got the angle wrong using MK I Eyeball, and with only less tha 1/16 of an inch to play with, well...They don't look bad, but I know.  I'm surprised that the mag well ones came out as well as they did.  The re-calibration on the EB's must have worked.
    Went to Wally World to get TruOil.  $8.95 A BOTTLE!!!  The first coat of BLO is on and drying.  Looking fairly good.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
Used a jeweler's saw to tack the excess pins off.  I've used a Dremel before and it tends to heat the pin up and melt/scorch the glue. 

I must admit I cringe every time I hear that someone is using a Dremel for *anything* gun related, they are simply an ill-suited tool for this kind of work for just the reason you describe.

Looks like you've got it down to a science Bruce, glad to hear it's not irreparable.  I'll be interested to see how the BLO darkens.  I suspect you're going to wind up with a stock a bit darker than you started with, but compared to the alternative of a replacement mismatched stock or the original held together by bailing wire and gorilla tape, I think it's absolutely the right way to go.   thumb1

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 12:04:41 AM »
Im a big fan of using blo also and nothing to shinny thumb1

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 08:35:58 AM »
Well, I got her done.  Two coats of BLO.  The BLO darkened the crack at the wrist, but it fades out.  The two burn through a are noticeable, but just. On the whole, fair.  I bought her for a shooter and that's what she'll be.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 08:43:56 AM »
And now, finally in her full glory...

Just as an aside, the dealer never got back with me.  Looked at their feedback on GB and there were several recent "D's" and "F's".  Mine just added to the total.  They may be a great place to buy a firearm, just don't have them ship it.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:01:13 AM by Bacarnal »

owenj492

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
Beautiful rifle, and wow on the repair!  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »
Nice job salvaging a useful SKS-30 from what was a bad situation  thumb1

I'll try to remember Pawn Now as a shop that I don't want to ever purchase anything from  bat1

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 12:53:38 AM »
There's a bunch of Pawn Now's around the area.
There's 3 just in Mesa.

You've done a great job on the repair.
The drill through's look like just another stock ding to me.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 08:04:09 AM »
Thanks all!  It's appreciated.