Author Topic: Arisaka with mum  (Read 13394 times)

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Arisaka with mum
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a chance to buy an Arisaka with an actual bullet lodged in the stock.  I know almost nothing of these rifles and never thought about getting one.  The guy's father in law had a tag on the rifle stating it was from a jap he killed.  No supporting documents.  It is not a carbine model and has two holes on top of the receiver.  What are the holes for?  Like the title says, the mum is intact.  Wood is dark,dirty,and very well used.  Without pics, could you advise on value or any info?  I have read the Wikipedia.

Thanks,
John Galt
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Arisaka with mum
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
Blicero is crazy knowledgeable on these.... surely he will chime in.

For the bullet to get stuck in the wood, I'm guessing its a pistol round.   :o

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
I would agree with the pistol round.  It is smaller than .30 cal, larger than .22.  I didn't look too closely at it since I don't know much about them.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »
There is an amazing variety of these, not only types (30, 38, 44, 99, etc.), but even length within the general types.  The most common are the Type 99s, which are chambered in 7.7x58mm, in the short rifle length of roughly 25", and the Type 38s, which are chambered in 6.5x50mm, in long rifle configuration.  You need a picture of the receiver in the area of the mum to figure out the type.  The left side receiver rail will have the manufacturer's and series marks, as well as the serial number. This is a good internet guide with some of the basic info and the Japanese numbers and characters:
Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II

The holes are just over-pressure relief vents.  Serial numbers (last 3 numbers of the receiver SN) are found in quite a few places on the rifles: barrel bands, bolt and often various bolt pieces (including firing pin, safety), etc. Items that affect value besides the mum and bore/stock condition are, the presence of the receiver cover, anti-aircraft rear sight "wings", monopod, and matching numbers (fairly unusual). Ammo for the Japanese rifles is expensive and a bit hard to locate on a regular basis.  The prices can be quite low for the common T99 and T38 rifles.  As far as the note tag, I'd try to get it if you buy the rifle but I wouldn't pay extra for it or the rifle on that basis alone.  That and the bullet are certainly potentially unique features.

Blicero can correct or add.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
Dang...   I didn't know Phos was a Jap scholar also!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »

We have a very large pool of talent and knowledge here, that's what keeps me hanging around here with you guys!

Now there is the mystery about the bullet lodged in the stock. Smaller than .30 cal but larger than .22?! To my knowledge Allied forces of the WWII era had no calibers fitting in that size range that would have seen common day-to-day use in the field. Well..with the exception of some Officer's model pistols.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:20:32 PM »

We have a very large pool of talent and knowledge here, that's what keeps me hanging around here with you guys!

Now there is the mystery about the bullet lodged in the stock. Smaller than .30 cal but larger than .22?! To my knowledge Allied forces of the WWII era had no calibers fitting in that size range that would have seen common day-to-day use in the field. Well..with the exception of some Officer's model pistols.

.45 acp and .38 was common for the U.S., 8MM Nambu was a common Japanese caliber, the Japanese officers also favored German pistols usually in .25 acp and .32 acp, officers could purchase their own sidearm in officer clubs if they chose to.

Is it a bullet, or chunk of shrapnel?
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »

.45 acp and .38 was common for the U.S., 8MM Nambu was a common Japanese caliber, the Japanese officers also favored German pistols usually in .25 acp and .32 acp, officers could purchase their own sidearm in officer clubs if they chose to.

Is it a bullet, or chunk of shrapnel?

That's what I was wondering. If it's definitely a bullet (I have no reason to doubt John's assessment) instead of shrapnel, did the Allies have something fitting in that size range that would have been used against the Japanese hence the small caliber bullet being lodged in the stock.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 01:37:45 PM »
Friendly fire or a captured weapon used against jap.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »
A .30 carbine bullet doesn't have a lot of energy after a few hundred yards and is fairly small at 110gr.  Rifle bullets could have ricocheted and scrubbed some energy before striking and embedding in the stock.  Unless it's been stored in the desert since being brought back from Japan, I would expect some signs of oxidation of the bullet after 70 years.  For example, greenish verdigris if it's copper jacketed, possibly some rough lead oxide if it's just lead portions of the bullet remaining or visible, or rusty red if it's shrapnel.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
Good points Phosphorus, and "friendly fire" is a definite possiblilty Loose}{Cannon.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
Or it's a bullet with a missing jacket, partial or part of a ricochet, or friendly fire :o

Off the top of my head, the Marines had Ma Deuce, M1 Garand, M1941 Johnson, M1 Carbine and M3's, Thompsons on Iwo Jima and Okinawa. The larger machine guns were ..30-06 or .50.  So thats .30-06, .30 Carbine and .45 acp .50 BMG. I'm sure M1903's were used earlier, but still -06. I thought of the Pederson device, but thats still a .30 caliber, and WWI. Side arms were S&W .38 revolvers and .45 acp 1911s.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »
So since it's possibly a bring-back then it may well have been a bullet from another Japanese weapon...friendly fire.

"Friendly fire...isn't".

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »
"Friendly fire...isn't".

Sure, that term coming from a language where we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway...........go figure  rofl

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 02:21:44 PM »
"Friendly fire...isn't".

Sure, that term coming from a language where we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway...........go figure  rofl

rofl

Carl I'm still trying to figure out another one I heard several years ago...why did Kamikazi pilots wear a safety helmet?!

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »
Hey guys,

What is visible in the stock appears to be the round back side of a bullet.  If it was a boat tail, maybe the wood swallowed it some to make it look smaller?  What I could see was nearly perfectly round, had what appeared to have a copper jacket, and had a discolored (oxidized), perfectly round center section.  I didn't really look at it that closely as my focus was on the sks.  Also, I don't know that much about any version of the Arisaka.  If I ever get to see this rifle again, I will look more closely at it and snap some pics if he allows.

On a side note, I talked to the guy today and he said he found a wooden sks stock.  I told him that if the numbers on it matched the 8 mil /26\ with the jungle stock, I would be interested. 

Thanks for all of the info and help!

John Galt

Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
Good luck with it John!

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
The holes are gas vents in case of cartridge failures and head splits.
If there are two holes, you're likely looking at a type 38 in 6.5.
Value depends on condition, the state of the flower & matching numbers. A bullet in the stock is pretty neat but damage is damage. I'm guessing $350 max value from what you describe as long as the stock isn't chopped or refinished.
Look for naval anchors on the receiver bridge or by the serial, or an original rope or leather sling (with kanji) attached to it. Either of those add a good chunk of value.
Also look for the manufacturer- denoted by the symbol next to the serial. It's a long shot but if you find it's a Jinsen or Mukden make, then it's a very desirable piece.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline John Galt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 10:00:32 AM »
I talked to the guy yesterday.  He said that he thinks he found the bayonet in his father in law's stuff.  Father in law died a year or so ago and was a gun shop owner apparently. 
The mum looked like it was in great shape with no attempt to damage it ever made.  It did have a leather sling on it that looked original but I don't know.  The stock looks like it lost every fight it was in, no refinish there and dont remember the stock being chopped   It does have a split on the lower buttstock that seems like a lot of the have.  Also, it did have 2 holes.

I asked him to put a value on it for me as I am interested in it.

Thanks Blicero,

John Galt
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:52 AM »
The split in the butt is a dovetail joint, they're designed that way. The bayonet is a bonus, worth $75-150 depending on condition and maker. Have you got receiver and full length rifle pics yet?