Author Topic: Swedish Mauser  (Read 3663 times)

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Swedish Mauser
« on: May 12, 2021, 11:13:53 AM »
I just committed to get this one

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/wts-two-nice-swede-m96-long-rifles.1191244/

A bit more than what I wanted to pay, but it looks ok. What do you think?

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: Swedish Mauser
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:19:00 AM »
That site wants me to sign-up. No thank you.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
I see you took #2, the 1900 CG M/96b. That was the clear winner of the two to me thumb1

From a collecting perspective: All matching metal parts thumb1 The stock has never been sanded, as indicated by the nice sharp-edged grasping grooves and the rear tang isn't sitting proud of the wood, like the 1917. 1900 is not a rare year (23K made), but I think it's an interesting year, and about 1/2 as many made as in 1917 (44K), which was the highest production year.

From a shooting perspective: The bores are nominally 6.50 (.256") when new, though some are tighter. Yours gauged at 6.53mm (.257") the last time a Swedish armorer examined it, which is really only very slightly worn when you consider that the bullets are 6.70mm (.264"). A bore corrosion rating of 2 (out of 3, "4" was replace the barrel) is still very good since Swedish armorers were very conservative in their ratings. The Swedes never used corrosive potassium chlorate primers, so they were used to looking at excellent bores.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 12:35:30 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 12:42:34 PM »
Thanks, 32P!

I thought #2 was a bit more interesting but this is my first Swede so I don't know much about those. Glad to see an expert agree!

Once I get my hands on it I'll post more pics. Along with a range report. I need to read up on the use of modern ammo in those swedes. I recall reading somewhere that one needs to be careful with it.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 01:11:05 PM »
Thanks, 32P!

I thought #2 was a bit more interesting but this is my first Swede so I don't know much about those. Glad to see an expert agree!

Once I get my hands on it I'll post more pics. Along with a range report. I need to read up on the use of modern ammo in those swedes. I recall reading somewhere that one needs to be careful with it.

Ammo loaded to mil spec should be fine. There are a lot of modern rifles still chambered in 6.5x55mm, since it's a great round. Hunting ammo marketed for those modern guns may need to be avoided. I haven't bought any or looked into their specifications. If the ammo manufacturers have their specs available on their websites, you can check the ballistic energy vs. m/41 specs with the equation E = 0.5m*v^2 (half the mass, times velocity squared). That won't account for possible increased initial pressure build up with a heavy bullet, so you might avoid much heavier bullets too. Swedish military surplus m/41 out of the long barrel of the M/96 has a nominal velocity of 790m/s and a bullet weight of 9.0g (139gr), so the ballistic energy 2808J (Joules).  Personally, I stick with 139-142gr offerings from PPU, Norma etc. and I have quite a bit of milsurp Swedish 139gr, which like the Swiss GP11 for their rifles, is basically match grade. You can't go wrong with PPU standard or match grade ammo.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 01:49:59 PM »
By the way, the Swedish Mausers, despite being small ring Mausers, are extremely strong. Swedish steel makers made (make) the best steel in the world (e.g. Sandvik) and when the first M/94s and M/96s were made under contract by Mauser Oberndorf, the Swedish government specified a particular Swedish steel formulation. The Swedish Mausers are also very well made, partly because they were always made under peace time or neutrality conditions, so no time-saving measures needed to be introduced. Granted, manufacture certainly picked up during WWI and WWII, in case they were drawn into the conflicts, but it wasn't an astounding increase in numbers, like that seen in the combatant countries like the US, Germany, UK, Russia, etc.

COI statement: I'm half Swedish and half Norwegian by ancestry, so I may be a little biased...but it doesn't mean I'm incorrect  rofl

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
You got a nice one CZ!  She's going to be a great shooter for certain!

I got mine way back in November 2013 for something like $250 on Gunbroker.  Mine is a 1916 with a disc reading of #3 / 6.50 and a stock that looks like it was chewed on by a rabid beaver.  Yours is head and shoulders above mine.  I heard from a Swede guru that many of the imports from the early 2000's and 2010's were strapped loose onto pallets and shipped this way so the stocks really got roughed up on the trip across the Atlantic.  It still shoots so much better than I can with my poor eyesight. 

6.5 Swede is really quite a pleasure to shoot.  Way back when, Samco had crates and crates of 6.5 Swede wooden blank rounds for something like 4 cents a round.  I absolutely loaded up and the primed cases are perfect for handloads.  I doubt if any of that stuff still floats around today, but PPU and Norma are darn near impossible to find in stock nowadays.  All the primers and powder seem to be diverted to the more popular rounds anymore.   dntknw1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 05:39:32 PM »
You got a nice one CZ!  She's going to be a great shooter for certain!

I got mine way back in November 2013 for something like $250 on Gunbroker.  Mine is a 1916 with a disc reading of #3 / 6.50 and a stock that looks like it was chewed on by a rabid beaver.  Yours is head and shoulders above mine.  I heard from a Swede guru that many of the imports from the early 2000's and 2010's were strapped loose onto pallets and shipped this way so the stocks really got roughed up on the trip across the Atlantic.  It still shoots so much better than I can with my poor eyesight. 

6.5 Swede is really quite a pleasure to shoot.  Way back when, Samco had crates and crates of 6.5 Swede wooden blank rounds for something like 4 cents a round.  I absolutely loaded up and the primed cases are perfect for handloads.  I doubt if any of that stuff still floats around today, but PPU and Norma are darn near impossible to find in stock nowadays.  All the primers and powder seem to be diverted to the more popular rounds anymore.   dntknw1

J&G Sales still has the M/14 ammo  thumb1 If you're nearby it's 4 cpr...shipped, it would depend on your locale

https://www.jgsales.com/6.5x55-swedish-m14-blank,-wooden-projectile,-4800rds.-p-92711.html

P.S. they're just covering their derriere (unnecessarily) by saying "We recommend treating this ammo as corrosive." It's Swedish surplus ammo, so it's not corrosive.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »
Nice P32!  thumb1

I wonder if that's Samco's remaining inventory they are simply trying to unload?

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 12:39:41 AM »
Thanks!

Hopefully I'll get it soon - the seller promised to ship tomorrow. Maybe early next week I can post some pics.

And thanks for the lead on the M14! Shipping costs on that much ammo is estimated to be $220 for me  :o making it ~9cpr Still not bad, I'm trying to decide whether I need so many blanks...

I do have some Lapua and Sellier and Bellot 6.5x55 from the pre crazy days when I decided that I like Swedes. I guess I also had some pre crazy days ideas on pricing, so I didn't get a refle for a while. But at this point I gave up on that  :( and pounced on this when I saw it come with a decent bayonet and sling.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 05:05:05 PM »
Got it today. Looks nice overall. Beautiful smooth Mauser action. There is a tiny barely noticeable hairline crack off the tang (see the pic below). The seller assured me that there was no cracks but it is possible he had not noticed it. You need to look very carefully to notice it. I think I'll let it slide this time. Damn cracks are the bane of my existence.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 10:10:48 PM »
If I clicked on the picture to open the link, and then hit the magnifying glass...I think I could see it  :))

I think you're good to go  thumb1

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 11:57:47 PM »
Yeah, it's not something I'm going to raise hell about :) Will post some more pics and a hopefully a range report soon.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 10:07:56 PM »
Here are more pics. Despite my ****ing I really like it. Base on the number of holes in the bolt it must have been rearsenalized. Am I right in seeing an early buttplate on it? It's kind of really deep into the wood, can it be a replacement stock? Also what do you think the wood is? Based on the date it's supposed to be walnut.

Also any hint on taking off the sling? It's old and fragile but I need to take it out if I want to take the rifle apart...

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
Looks really nice Cz. Do ALL of the numbers match (beside cleaning rod)?

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 02:09:25 PM »
Looks really nice Cz. Do ALL of the numbers match (beside cleaning rod)?

So far all I've seen (a total of 12 - 2 barrel bands, the receiver, 3 on the rear sight, mag plate, bolt release, cocking piece, safety, one more bolt piece, buttplate) do match. I haven't taken't apart the bolt to check the firing pin yet and the stock. The rod is unnumbered.

The bayo is not matching, but I knew that. Doubt they are too many matching bayo's out there. 

I thought the Soviets went crazy on labeling all SKS pieces, but Swedes put them to shame!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »
Should see some German numbering..  thumb1

Nice Swede.  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 03:53:29 PM »
Looks good!

A bit of mink oil or similar around the stud should help ease it out of the slot without tearing it, depending on how aged it is. Liberty Tree Collectors still has Swedish slings if you can't save it.

Offline sheepdog

• BIG MONEY GRIFF
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Khrushchev was right
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 01:21:07 PM »
Definitely a replacement stock, the original would have been in walnut, not beech, with an 85 degree cut to the butt. See if there's a crown behind the trigger guard with a letter under it, that will tell you which arsenal rebuilt it. There should be 19 numbered pieces. Cleaning rods never match and are not counted as a numbered part. Stay way from American 6.5X55, PPU is perfect, reloading better still. Sling removal is easy, getting it back on correctly isn't, simple but those brass studs are tough to get on.

LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 01:30:50 AM »
I'll have to look around, I may have a couple of those slings in the odd parts box.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7