Author Topic: M91 (and other) Carcano's  (Read 6032 times)

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
M91 (and other) Carcano's
« on: December 22, 2020, 12:57:07 PM »
There seems to be a big influx of Carcano's from Ethiopia (?). I see them in different places in the 200-250 range. All reports point to very uneven quality, though. Basically a crapshoot. Did anyone here get those? Any intel on better places to buy from? I'm thinking whether I should take a chance on those before they run out. 

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: M91 (and other) Carcano's
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 01:00:54 PM »
I believe it's Royal Tiger bringing them in...they seemed to have quite a few last week when I was checking out their stock.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
Royal Tiger Imports (IO Inc.) brought in all of the Ethiopian sourced guns, including those Carcanos. Condition is poor to fair on most of the stuff they brought in, which they call fair to very good. I'd avoid them.

Almost at the same time, PW Arms imported a number of Carcanos, directly from Italy from what I've found out. I bought an antique M91 Carbine, aka Moschetto Modello 1891 (folding spike bayonet) from Dan's Ammo that was from the PW Arms batch.  I was very happy with the condition of it. DK Firearms has also had these. I haven't checked either site recently to see what they have.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 04:13:57 PM »
Kinda wished I would have asked this question :).

I recently bought 2 Carcano's. One from Classic Arms, a Cavalry model.  Then I ordered an M91 from Palmetto.  I don't have either of them yet, Palmetto has yet to ship the one I ordered. The one from Classic should be in this week.  I can let you know what I got. I did read the reviews on Palmetto, there were 3 or 4 really bad reviews and the remainder were all 3 to 5 stars. 

Guess I will see and hope for the best.

I checked my order at Palmetto, it had not shipped, so I just went ahead and canceled it. The Calvary model will be all I am getting at this point.  I may look other places, but after thinking on it, I may just use that money for another purchase.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:09:10 PM by Phosphorus32 »
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »
Thanks @Phosphorus32! Looks like DK Firearms still has them but Dan's Ammo does not. I guess I'll give DK Firearms a shot.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 05:12:28 PM »
One thing on the shortened rifles, Carcanos used progressive gain rifling, their twist rate increases with barrel length. Shortening the M91 barrel to carbine/calvery length removed the quick twist rifling at the end of the barrel. Meaning some are prone to keyholing the long bullets because there is not enough spin to stabilize the long 6.5mm bullet. I don't think it effects the M91.41 variants.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »
@agrace please post pics of yours once you get them and I'll do the same for mine (just placed an order for one - you guys are ENABLERS).

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 05:31:45 PM »
Clarification: I only know from direct evidence that Dan's Ammo got their Carcanos from PW Arms. I don't know who is supplying PSA, Classic Firearms or DK. I am guessing that all of them got their Carcanos from PW Arms. This is based on my assumption that RTI is retaining all of their imports for retail sales at maximum profit, because that sounds like Uli  rofl

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 07:12:29 PM »
Clarification: I only know from direct evidence that Dan's Ammo got their Carcanos from PW Arms. I don't know who is supplying PSA, Classic Firearms or DK. I am guessing that all of them got their Carcanos from PW Arms. This is based on my assumption that RTI is retaining all of their imports for retail sales at maximum profit, because that sounds like Uli  rofl

Understood. The DK website mentioned "Carabinieri storage" so I took it as a possibility that it could be indeed PW imports. Additional googling also suggested that PSA and DK are PW imports. Anyhow, I've gambled more money than $250, so fingers crossed. I'll report on the condition once I get it. The reviews on the DK website were good too (I hope they don't block the negative ones like Classic supposedly does). 

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »
you guys are ENABLERS).

ENABLERS... :)  nea1

wanna really, really old 6.5 Carcano, I have an M91 Carcano, the Carcano carbine and then there's this... https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3721.0

These were done by the same method as the "P series" Finnish Mosins, a.k.a. the Salerno method... Italy had it figured out before the Finnish Mosins..
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 10:13:51 PM »
My Carcano Cavalry from DK hasn't shipped yet but I enabled myself (ENABLERS EVERYWHERE) to get a TS. The TS's seem to be sold out in most places and are generally found in rough shape. I got myself one from Axis Arms. Super fast shipping. Here are some pics. Few obligatory cracks  :( but nothing too crazy. The bore looks like s**t. Not sure whether it's counterbored or simply rusted out. Could be both. I do see some semblance of lands, though. The blueing on the outside is surprisingly good. Several nice cartouches on metal. Made in 1913 (Brescia). Does have a FAT 1947 on the barrel. The barrel and the stock match. The mag doesn't. Interestingly I don't see any serials on the bolt and the receiver. The receiver color doesn't seem to be the same. Is it normal?

Overall, a project gun just like the description on the website suggested. Not a complete waste of money but it's not a beauty queen, that's for sure. Hopefully that Cavalry carbine turns out better....

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 01:33:27 PM »
Here are some quick shots of my Calvary from Classic. Overall it is not in bad shape. No major rust, and bore looks decent. And honestly, I didn't have to do much cleaning on it.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »
Looks decent! Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will post pics to compare. The problem with all these imports is that it's all crapshoot. Some are really nice but most are not.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »
Careful with that self-enabling fellas, it can give you warts..... :o
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 03:24:59 PM »
Careful with that self-enabling fellas, it can give you warts..... :o

rofl  rofl

Anyway. The 1941-XIX FNA Brescia from DK showed up today. In MUCH better shape than that TS. There is a hairline crack off the tang - what is up with my luck lately? But it's pretty minor. Overall I'm happy with it. The bore looks ok. Not great, but reflects light and definitely fine for a surplus rifle like that. Blueing is decent with some minor surface rust that should clean up fine. Here are some pics.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »
Nice, yours has much better bluing than mine and looks good!  The only date I could find on my was 1918.  Sorry should have added this with the other two.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 05:51:42 PM »
It's kind of cool to see the change in firearm fashion, so to speak. The hexa/octagons so prevalent early on made way to round shaped barrels, just like in Mosins.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2020, 06:15:14 PM »
Good looking carbines  thumb1

Year I (1) of the rule of Mussolini and his Partito Nazionale Fascista (National Fascist Party) began on October 29, 1922, so the year XIX is October 29, 1940 to October 28, 1941. Hence, the "double date" on yours but not on agrace's, since his predated the seizure of power by Mussolini.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
I have a feeling these Carcano's are going to be quite addictive. I kind of want the other varieties now. Slippery slope... yes4 yes4

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »
I have a feeling these Carcano's are going to be quite addictive. I kind of want the other varieties now. Slippery slope... yes4 yes4

Hiii Cz, welcome to Enablers Anonymous. rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.