Author Topic: Free SKS Rifle Stand  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Free SKS Rifle Stand
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:30:50 PM »
That's right,free,it didn't cost me a thing.I know most of you already know how to do this but some don't realize how easy it is to build and how handy it comes in when  working or displaying your SKS.It's like having a third hand.

It's all made from ordinary stuff from around the house that most will likely already have.It's nothing fancy even though you can make it if you want.I used reclaimed scraps of pine.A 30" length of 1x6 and a 2x4x36",6ea 3-1/2" deck screws and about 8" of felt.That's it.

For the uprights I drilled a 2" dia hole with a hole saw centered a little in from the end of the 2x4,and then I cut off half the hole.I did this for both uprights.Then I cut the uprights to length.The rear one was cut 10" long and the front one 11-1/4" long.The uprights were placed 18" apart,centered on the base.I brought them in 6" from the ends.I layed out some centering lines and from underneath the base I predrilled 3 holes using a 1/8" drill bit as far as it would go into both pieces of wood.I did this so the old lumber wouldn't crack or split.I then drove in the 3 deck screws just below flush,up from the bottom.I did this for each upright.Then I cut a length of thick felt(you can use foam tape or an old leather belt too) and staple them into the troughs.It looks like this;

Works good for other rifles too.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:30:06 PM by Bubbazinetti »
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
Re: Free SKS Rifle Stand
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 10:04:09 PM »
How cool is that? What a great looking stand! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and post it up.

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »
Very simple and  not expensive in construction but yet very good looking!  Good job on it!   thumb1

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 10:51:50 PM »
Yeah,it's as basic as it gets.It'll save you $20 anyways.You can cut 45* notches in the uprights to hold a cleaning rod if you want or put moulding around the base to keep parts and tools from rolling off.Lots of possibilities only limited by your imagination.Just thought I'd make some of the guys aware of what you can build with little or no skill and have something functional on a Budweiser budget.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:23:19 PM »
I like it!

The beauty lies in it's simplicity.

I've been kinda looking for a display stand for an upcoming project, and I think I just found it.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
very cool idea, thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 02:38:49 PM »
Just to give yous more ideas you can scab 1x3s to the sides for storage and still allow plenty of clearance for a magazine as long as it isn't built too low.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »
Noice, bet you got an A+ in woodshop class in high school didn't ya, LOL.

Actually, if one checked the level of that so as to be correct, it would make a dandy station for zeroing in one's rifles.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
My wood skills or lack thereof is nothing to brag about,just basic ability.Measure,cut and screw.Used old dirty wood.I'm a cheapskate.

For zeroing I prefer to use a sight vise instead of a basic display stand.I have this one and filled the base with lead shot.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 10:10:51 PM »
I used to have one of those, but I sold everything when I moved to Los Angeles. Now that I am back(wasn't sure I would be moving back at the time) I keep thinking it was one of the dumber things I have ever done in life. banghead1 banghead1
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 10:14:36 PM »
Yeah,I know what you mean.Unfortunately those sight vises are long discontinued.