Author Topic: Early Albanian SKS Number 005  (Read 3973 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: Early Albanian SKS Number 005
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 04:26:54 AM »
That's really cool, P32! I didn't know that serial range even existed for the Alby's. Thanks for posting it up with all the great pics, too!

Do you put anything on your Alby stocks to help "preserve", or at least maintain the finish (varnish) that's left? They seem so dry, but I don't want to put anything on there that could alter the finish, either. I'm in the purist camp on most of my collection but I want to preserve what I have, too. I'm not sure much of anything can be done to help these Alby stocks in the way the finish was originally applied, though.

Pretty cool to have the only known 3-digit Alby in the States, for sure!

firstchoice

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »
Pithy and sardonic comments were just on the bursting point from these fingers, but the jealousy would have shown immediately through, hench just the "Sweet" comment.  I'm still drooling every time I see it drool2.   Once GM catches up on his reading (God Bless him and keep him safe), he's gonna have an aneurism :o.

rofl Good stuff Bruce  chuckles1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 12:16:35 PM »

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 12:26:48 PM »
That's really cool, P32! I didn't know that serial range even existed for the Alby's. Thanks for posting it up with all the great pics, too!

Thanks and you're welcome!

Do you put anything on your Alby stocks to help "preserve", or at least maintain the finish (varnish) that's left? They seem so dry, but I don't want to put anything on there that could alter the finish, either. I'm in the purist camp on most of my collection but I want to preserve what I have, too. I'm not sure much of anything can be done to help these Alby stocks in the way the finish was originally applied, though.

I won't add anything and it's definitely not "dry", as I'm sure a little heat would have some Albanian ersatz cosmoline oozing from the surface. It's a shellac finish, so Ballistol would be bad because of the isobutanol that could dissolve the shellac. I guess neat mineral oil (the main ingredient of Ballistol) would be okay since that's just a light fraction of the petroleum-based cosmoline and it could clean up some oily dirt without changing the composition of the petroleum oils that are already on the bare wood due to the cosmoline. In any case, I'm not planning to add anything.

Pretty cool to have the only known 3-digit Alby in the States, for sure!

firstchoice[/size]

There is a report on Gunboards of # 001 that is held by another collector in the US...but no pictures were forthcoming :(

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 09:36:23 PM »
P32, when you sour on this 005. You PM me... dial a friend-esque. Me likey a lot!