Author Topic: Mauser and other light arms surrendered WWII  (Read 3751 times)

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Mauser and other light arms surrendered WWII
« on: September 17, 2016, 12:59:09 PM »
From another forum: Here are a few pics of surrendered Mausers and other light arms during the German 9th Army surrender to U.S. forces on the Tangermünde Bridge on the west side of the River Elbe---May 1945. 

As mentioned by some in the thread, notice there are no large piles of bolts that have been separated from the rifles/carbines prior to surrender and all the rifles in the piles appear to be intact.  This seems to call into question one rumor for the large number of mismatched Mauser bolts on imported rifles....

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?599865-98K-capture-Piles-River-Elbe
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Mauser and other light arms surrendered WWII
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »
 :o

Fascinating pics!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 08:49:05 PM »
Oddly enough, the field camo and visor cap donned by the young SS officer are worth more than any firearm found in those pictures, except for maybe the Stg44 or mp40.

Something else I noticed- a huge percentage of the Mausers in those piles have cupped butt plates. That feature was introduced post-1940, so most of those are "new" guns.

Another sadder speculation. Considering the mind-bogglingly massive numbers of import marked, bastardized, Russianized, Yugonized, parts guns, chopped, Bubbaed, shellacked, sanded, and faked rifles available in the US, it might be fair to say there are more righteous matching guns in just one of those piles than what will ever be available to us today.
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 09:32:32 PM »
Not meaning to get off topic, but I love pics of like those, and figured I would post this...

Pyramid built from Imperial German helmets after WW1 in front of Grand Central Station.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline montigre

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:37:04 AM »
Oh my gosh....I wonder how many helmets it took to create that.  Incredible!!
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."  ~Benjamin Franklin