Author Topic: Teriyaki Deer Jerky in a food dehydrator  (Read 17674 times)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
Re: Teriyaki Deer Jerky in a food dehydrator
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »
lol That's probably it. I've been eating deer so long, I don't even a notice when its just a lil bit. Its very close to grass fed beef. If you've had real pasture fed, grass fed beef it tastes different than regular beef. Now that second batch I did was with a 3 1/2 year old Buck...now its flavor was definitely more pronounced. What I sent you was from a Doe.

Unless I'm having a nice thick ribeye or a hamburger....I rarely eat beef any more. Deer burger is great in anything that calls for burger. The best part is , you don't have to drain the grease...cuz there is none. Matter of fact you have to add a lil grease when cooking to keep it from scorching.

Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
It def tasted dif then beef...  Dunno if it went a little funky in the mail, but it was still good.  Im likely VERY used to beef....  Deer virgin!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 08:04:59 PM »
Nah...  I don't think it went funky in the mail.  It was damn good, and I still have half left for the holidays.   :).   I tried to get my vegetarian wife to eat some but she wasn't having it.   rofl

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »
We're gonna have to get some fresh raw deer your way, so you can try it straight up. The flavor can vary wildly depending on age, buck/doe, time harvested, hung to bleed or not, aged, or 1 way I like to process it ...by brining in salt water. Now don't get me wrong...I enjoy the heck outta some beef but deer is so healthy when compared. The fat content is super low ( I trim all fat off anyway cuz thats where most of the "gamey" flavor comes from) and no Bovine growth hormone, antibiotics and such. Hardcore hunters will generaly prefer deer steaks but its hard to beat a nice fatty beef ribeye...Yummm. I will usualy cut just a few steaks from the loin. I used to do roasts but the burger will get used up before them.

1 of the most gamey meats I've had was wild hog....but we don't have them here (YET) and don't have much experince with how to cook and process it. I've heard they can be fantastic. I've also had some deer that was so gamey that it was hard to eat. Just shows how much wild game can vary compared to regulated practices with beef.

As for the wifey....Play up the health aspect of the deer, organic free range and the fact that they can and will overpopulate themselves which leads to a slow death. I've gotten quite a few veggies to try deer that wouldn't touch beef with a 10 ft pole  thumb1
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »
Laff...  She aint eating ANY meat.

I had her look into dif beef cuts to buy and make jerly, but its looking like it wont be cost effective and I may as well just buy it.   >:(

Beef is like 3 times higher then it was a few years ago... Whats up with that!?!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
Oh...  Wild hog is everywhere down here.  John Galt was just asking be about it.  A guy I knew a few years ago gave me some chops that were soaked in milk as part of the process to eliminate the gamey taste.  Tasted just like a store bought chop to me!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 08:48:20 PM »
Yeah its crazy how high beef has gotten. Ground beef has got up to $3.59 a pound here. Its going back down now though. Calfs last year were bringing 3x the amount at the stock yards but have started back down so shouldn't be long before we see the meat cost go back down to match.

Soaking in milk or butter milk is a great tip for anything a touch strong. My mom turns old catfish into something great to eat with a soak in butter milk and a pinch of ginger before cooking. ( No offense to all the catfish lovers out there but I just aint into it)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 09:22:32 PM »
Oh really? 

Catfish is the only fish I will eat... Battered and fried of course.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
Oh really? 

Catfish is the only fish I will eat... Battered and fried of course.

Yeah it blew my mind, when I saw on the news, that catfish is the number 1 eaten/bought fish in the U.S. I grew up eating tons of different fish and catfish on the table meant that we were hurtin' ,getting desperate even  rofl But some people around here, that's all they want. So Pop's never had to worry about giving it away. He has had me cleaning catfish all summer just to give away, cuz they were really bite'n this year.

I prefer a nice white, flaky fish myself. Freshwater: crappie, walleye, and every1's favorite...striper aka striped white bass. Saltwater: flounder, whiting, seatrout (not my fav) and puppy drum aka red drum. Now my favorite hands down saltwater fish....a good and ugly ole puffer fish ( completely different species of blowfish than the infamous puffer fish thats toxic and eaten in japan)

Of course I prefer all the above breaded and pan fried but love battered and deep fried as well. Occasionally will do a baked or good ole fashioned campfire cook in tin foil.

Granted store bought farm raised catfish is much milder than wild. We have Channel cat, big Blue cat and Mud cat around here ( they get stronger in flavor in the same order). Mom can soak in butter milk with ginger and even turn mud cat into good eating.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »
Yeah....  Me thinks I like the mild taste because the 'fishy' taste dont jive too well with mem.  rofl

My mom and sister when I was a teenager used to cook salmon in the oven and I had wear a respirator!     sick1

Shrimp also.... You can keep that scampy crap.  Heavy beer batter and I can eat a bucket full.  (All you can eat shrip) at red lobster hates when I show up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:12:43 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
I'm with ya on the salmon. I know its a popular fish, but its about the last thing I would pick. Now it might be different if I was catching it myself but any other time...no thanks.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
Im like that with anything having that 'fishy' smell/taste.  I think I just horked a bit in my mouth as a matter of fact.  Im sure I can make due if I was stranded on an island, but damn.  Hork reflex in full effect just thinking about it.  Like those fish oil pills and belching up that nasty taste all day...  Whats up with that!?!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:21:44 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 12:09:34 AM »
Im like that with anything having that 'fishy' smell/taste.  I think I just horked a bit in my mouth as a matter of fact.  Im sure I can make due if I was stranded on an island, but damn.  Hork reflex in full effect just thinking about it.  Like those fish oil pills and belching up that nasty taste all day...  Whats up with that!?!

In decaying fish the primary offensive odors and flavors are due to polyamines. Included in this series of chemical compounds are a couple with very descriptive names, cadaverine and putrescine  sick1

That said, I love fish, especially fresh salmon, smoked salmon, sturgeon, rainbow trout, walleye, ahi ahi, mahi mahi, ono, sushi and sashimi of just about any type, ...  drool2

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 12:33:43 AM »
You forgot horki horki and a Humuhumunukunukuapua.   rofl

J/K.    Dif strokes for dif folks. 

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 01:06:05 AM »
 rofl LC  " I'd like a order of horki horki  with a nice warm sake please"

Phos I'm with ya on smoked salmon for the most part but raw and/or cooked ...not a fan at all. I grew up catching and eating rainbow trout from the creeks ( no lake trout) and gotta admit I like the farm raised better.  :-[

Now sushi.....MMMMMMM I jump on it any chance I get. And sashimi grade tuna loin....It aughta be a crime to get that stuff near heat enough to cook it. The 1st time I bought a pound of it myself and sliced real thin and maybe/maybe not dipped in a lil soy sauce....I was changed!

A LOT of people still believe that all sushi is just raw fish. ( I don't blame 'em, if you haven't been exposed to it, the media plays the raw fish angle up) You just mention the word sushi and people around here turn up their nose and make a face. I'll turn 'em on to a run 'o the mill ole california roll ( a lil avocado, cucumber, carrot and rice wrapped in nori), and it changes their mind....then WHAM hit 'em with a lil smoked eel roll, maybe some octopus and before you know it I can get 'em to try a lil of the Nigirizushi with raw tuna. Still don't care for the salmon this way though.

I'm still really, really wanting to try uni....but nearest sushi chef is an hour an 1/2 away, and I've never seen it prepackaged before.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 01:18:07 AM »
We're gonna have to get some fresh raw deer your way, so you can try it straight up. The flavor can vary wildly depending on age, buck/doe, time harvested, hung to bleed or not, aged, or 1 way I like to process it ...by brining in salt water. Now don't get me wrong...I enjoy the heck outta some beef but deer is so healthy when compared. The fat content is super low ( I trim all fat off anyway cuz thats where most of the "gamey" flavor comes from) and no Bovine growth hormone, antibiotics and such. Hardcore hunters will generaly prefer deer steaks but its hard to beat a nice fatty beef ribeye...Yummm. I will usualy cut just a few steaks from the loin. I used to do roasts but the burger will get used up before them.

1 of the most gamey meats I've had was wild hog....but we don't have them here (YET) and don't have much experince with how to cook and process it. I've heard they can be fantastic. I've also had some deer that was so gamey that it was hard to eat. Just shows how much wild game can vary compared to regulated practices with beef.

As for the wifey....Play up the health aspect of the deer, organic free range and the fact that they can and will overpopulate themselves which leads to a slow death. I've gotten quite a few veggies to try deer that wouldn't touch beef with a 10 ft pole  thumb1

One big effect on taste is the deers diet, you can tell a farm feeding deer eating field corn, soybeans and alfalfa from a deep woods deer eating bunches of acorns. Now another difference is how fast you gut it and skin it followed by how fast you chill it, the faster you can process it and chill it, the better off you are. Even a delay of a few hours in some slightly mild temps can have a taste difference.  One reason I never liked hunting in warmer temps, spoilage sets in real quick.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 05:57:35 AM »

One big effect on taste is the deers diet, you can tell a farm feeding deer eating field corn, soybeans and alfalfa from a deep woods deer eating bunches of acorns. Now another difference is how fast you gut it and skin it followed by how fast you chill it, the faster you can process it and chill it, the better off you are. Even a delay of a few hours in some slightly mild temps can have a taste difference.  One reason I never liked hunting in warmer temps, spoilage sets in real quick.

+1  Ooops  :-[  I'd say those are the 2 MOST important effects on a deer's taste. Can't believe I left that out. Completely forgot. Good call GM  thumb1

Like how bbush was saying the other day , how even in the middle of a hunt, He would hop down out of the stand just so he could get to a downed deer and go ahead and gut it. Then even prop the rib cage open to allow for the cavity to cool faster. IIRC even if you haven't nicked any of the innards, the chance of tainting the meat, even if the meat is still safe, goes up the longer their in. Also would explain for some of the more gamey taste.

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 10:01:23 PM »
Im with you guys on the tuna talk!  If I were ever to catch a nice yellowfin, I think I might eat it like a cob of corn! MMMM.  Also, salmon is my least favorite fish to eat, but it is perhaps the most fun to catch (freshwater).  Kind of a bummer to not like salmon and bring 50 lbs of fillets home from a trip, so I learned how to cook it a few different ways.  I can't stand the "salmon" taste, but blackened salmon and firecracker salmon is yummy!  Also, I smoke salmon and it comes out of the smoker tasting like honey baked ham.  Even people that don't eat fish cant get enough of my smoked salmon! 

As far as deer go, in NE Wisconsin, all of them eat corn. There are corn fields all over.  But if you are unlucky enough to shoot one thats been in a cedar swamp eating, I doubt you would ever eat another deer again...yuck.  I also agree that field care and procedure make a huge difference. 

armedhippie, I have some venison and beef marinating in your recipe right now..going on the dehydrator soon!  Now I just wish my home brew beer was finished!  MMMM  Homemade beer and jerky.... :)

John Galt
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2015, 11:22:57 PM »
rofl LC  " I'd like a order of horki horki  with a nice warm sake please"

Phos I'm with ya on smoked salmon for the most part but raw and/or cooked ...not a fan at all. I grew up catching and eating rainbow trout from the creeks ( no lake trout) and gotta admit I like the farm raised better.  :-[

Now sushi.....MMMMMMM I jump on it any chance I get. And sashimi grade tuna loin....It aughta be a crime to get that stuff near heat enough to cook it. The 1st time I bought a pound of it myself and sliced real thin and maybe/maybe not dipped in a lil soy sauce....I was changed!

A LOT of people still believe that all sushi is just raw fish. ( I don't blame 'em, if you haven't been exposed to it, the media plays the raw fish angle up) You just mention the word sushi and people around here turn up their nose and make a face. I'll turn 'em on to a run 'o the mill ole california roll ( a lil avocado, cucumber, carrot and rice wrapped in nori), and it changes their mind....then WHAM hit 'em with a lil smoked eel roll, maybe some octopus and before you know it I can get 'em to try a lil of the Nigirizushi with raw tuna. Still don't care for the salmon this way though.

I'm still really, really wanting to try uni....but nearest sushi chef is an hour an 1/2 away, and I've never seen it prepackaged before.

^THIS you named a couple of my favorites  drool2