Author Topic: Compact scope install on Yugo SKS without altering the cover  (Read 2261 times)

Offline rob2579z

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Compact scope install on Yugo SKS without altering the cover
« on: November 19, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
I want to install a compact scope on my Yugo SKS by installing a suitable scope mount  cover and saving the original. I have tried the Barska setup that would work fine, except on my Yugo, once I get the cover filed to fit properly, I can't open the bolt. The bolt carrier strikes the inside of the new cover and won't go back at all. The cover is too thick at the top.

I can't afford to have the cover corrected by machining. Is there any other scope mount cover on the market  that fits a Yugo?   

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Compact scope install on Yugo SKS without altering the cover
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »
I feel your pain, do you have a picture of the mount itself? I had this very same thing happen to me a few days ago, with what might have been a Barska mount. It was very roughly machined on the inside, and I had to go through hell filing it all out.  In the end I got close...and tired. I realized I had another bolt carrier and gave it a try, and it worked fine.

If your trouble is the same as mine, it was more than just the top of it that wasn't milled out enough...mine looked fine on the outside, on the inside it looked like an unfinished prototype.

If you can post a pic of the inside.

Offline padams8888

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Re: Compact scope install on Yugo SKS without altering the cover
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 11:05:36 PM »
Dremel and some patience should work like a charm.....not too issues cannot be solved with a Dremel......you can quote me..... rofl