Author Topic: Just another M59 from Dan's  (Read 10395 times)

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Just another M59 from Dan's
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 12:50:02 PM »
Got me wondering, were these maybe from the same place as the G10, Bosnian import M59/66 in almost M59 configuration.  As I understand, they had new barrels, and didn't use standardized Yugo serial numbers. So, were they new receivers, they didn't look scrubbed, and the serials are blued as well, if my febble memory serves.

I mean a new etched number on a "reblued" refurb, not stamped. But yet, barrel and receiver match, and the hidden barrel and reciever numbers are, blued.....Hinky!!!  And if it were a refurb, it would have been serial stamped way back when, so why reetch, the same number??

The plot thickens.... :o :)
Interesting, I hadn't heard of those:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3YugoSKS

My barrel isn't new.  It's in good shape with deep sharp rifling.  But it also has some scattered small pits.  The receiver also has a bit of pitting (see the receiver SN pic) and some scrapes. 

If these are newer (1991-2005, after Slovenian independence, pre-storage date) Slovenian assemblies then they must have been from old parts, perhaps without any SNs since they have the part number on the bottom of the receiver and the odd etched SN, perhaps old used parts judging from the bore. 

I'm still not seeing any story line that is convincing.  Definitely an odd combination of features in any case.  It seems at least rational and plausible that Slovenia, with limited access to arms after establishing independence from Yugoslavia/Serbia, may have put together all available weapons it could from whatever parts were on hand, so maybe these are later assemblies.  They certainly weren't getting any more of these Yugoslavian SKSs or any other weapons from Serbia after 1991, and the other break away republics needed everything they could get their hands on, so I doubt Slovenia which escaped Yugoslavia with relatively light fighting received any SKSs from Bosnia or Croatia.  Did Slovenia have a refurb facility when Yugoslavia was intact?  What was it's designation? We can eliminate TRB and TRZ in Bosnia and Serbia, respectively.  My stock at least went through TRZ at one point.

Like I said, none of the story lines convince me, not even any I can come up with.  We need more data!  :))

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »
Very Nice Phos! I hope to clean mine up soon and get some better pictures. Your photoshoots are always top notch.  thumb1

Interesting find there GM.  clap1

Yeah, P32 does do some nice sexy gun photos, I can see him in the backyard, screaming, WORK IT, click, click, come on girl, WORK IT for P32..click  fart1 rofl

Me thinks I might smell a Yugo serial survey a comin soon to your favorite forum.... :)

rofl  Thanks Brian and GM!  My auburn Yugoslavian beauty worked her magic and I just captured the moments  chuckles1

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
Nice one Phos thumb1  Your bayonet looks darker than others.  Great pics as usual!

John Galt
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 06:35:09 PM »
Nice one Phos thumb1  Your bayonet looks darker than others.  Great pics as usual!

John Galt

Thanks John!  It was a sunny day yesterday, so despite working in the shade the colors are off to varying degrees.  The bayonet is a light to medium gray.  I think the pictures of the right side capture the color of the bayonet more accurately.