Author Topic: Help with sks  (Read 973 times)

Offline Enfield1976

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Help with sks
« on: September 06, 2022, 12:21:00 PM »
Hello. New member here from Wisconsin.  Greetings to all. I have a question on a recently picked up sks.

Pinned barrel, d marked rear sight,  spike bayo with screw attachment. Stamped trigger guard,  all numbers matching.

My question is the lack of any factory code.  Nothing under wood line or faint to where its hard to see. And the sets of numbers on left of receiver.  One set having DN after them. Only other marking is the tiny b west tusc az marking on right of receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

host images

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
Re: Help with sks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 01:13:53 PM »
B West imported a lot of Chinese stuff back in the day.  In fact I'm not sure what else they imported.
I bet the folks on here could tell what you have based on pictures of everything.

Offline Enfield1976

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 01:56:39 PM »
The sks itself i know what I have. Just curious on the lack of arsenal stamp. And the 2nd set of numbers with DN suffix. I know stuff got rebuilt, reused etc. Just curious if any others seen marked as such.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 03:47:34 PM »
Welcome from Washington State!  thumb1

Arsenal mark could have been scrubbed during refurbishment. This is a great example of the year code. The 70 being a different size and font makes it really obvious how those digits are the year code, 1970 manufacture.

The second serial number 04372DN is the importer added serial number, to make sure it's a unique serial number for that specific importer's list of all of their serial numbers (regardless of firearm model), as per ATF regulations.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 03:59:07 PM »
First of all, welcome to the boards!  Glad to have you here.  thumb1

Definitely an odd duck you have there.  Not commonly seen, especially with the second set of numbers so far away from the first. 
While not common, these have been seen in the wild before in various formats.  In the first format, a large 70 (or 71) followed by the arsenal stamp and then a 5 or 6 digit S/N is often seen on rectangle arsenal guns:

Then every once in a while you will see a carbine without the rectangle stamping, but with very similar stampings, though maybe he 70 isn't as large, but has a clear 70 + arsenal #+ some two digit number (33 is often seen like in yours) + S/N:

In your carbine's case, I would guess this is a 0223 produced carbine (just like the above) and the #'s on the bottom are the S/N and correspond to the 4372th carbine in this particular lot.  The DN may have been stamped at production, or most likely were marked there during decommissioning/export/import.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 08:48:33 PM »
Greetings fellow Sconnie. Nice oddball  clap1

Offline Enfield1976

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 09:54:48 PM »
Thank you very much for the information.  Found it at the local flea market for 350 and in today's market wouldn't have passed regardless of markings.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 11:07:19 AM »
Thank you very much for the information.  Found it at the local flea market for 350 and in today's market wouldn't have passed regardless of markings.

Yup, good find these days.  thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 11:08:47 AM »
One thing you might check is the next time you have it out of the stock, look for a number in the format of XX-YY-ZZ on the bottom of the receiver.  Oftentimes the center number wil be the year that the receiver was cast.  I'll post example photos when I have a chance, for some reason imgbb isn't working right now.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 11:51:21 AM »
Photos I couldn't upload earlier:

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 03:12:00 PM »
Photos I couldn't upload earlier:

That is pretty dang cool, I never knew the Chinese did anything like this.
Reminds me of the tang stamps on mosins. :))

Offline Enfield1976

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 10:00:58 PM »
Mine has nothing stamped underside. Are those in the pics with that date stamp also ones marked on receiver with no arsenal marking.

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 05:43:16 PM »
Cool didnt know they put dates there.