Author Topic: WINCHESTER WILDCAT 22 LR  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
WINCHESTER WILDCAT 22 LR
« on: May 15, 2022, 09:24:42 PM »
Hey, I was just bumping around looking for steel shot since its really hard to find these days and ran across this sale on these 22 LR Winchester Wildcats. Did a little review reading and price checking and pulled the trigger on two of these little guys. They come with scope rails and 1 mag. But the kicker that got me pulling out my CC was that they accept Ruger 10-22 mags  :o " Why I didn't know" I got several scopes laying around if I choose that route later.
 Posting the link to sportsmans wherehouse incase anyone wants to take a look. At 206.00 ea on sale figured I cant get hurt too bad. Ill go to the local store and DROS Them in the morning. Post up a range report in a couple weeks  thumb1... Hope this link works

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/rifles/winchester-wildcat-matte-black-semi-automatic-rifle-22-long-rifle-18in/p/1528858

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: WINCHESTER WILDCAT 22 LR
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 10:48:15 PM »
Looks like a BB gun. Thanks for the share.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 08:16:24 PM »
Price is right. However, I have a scoped Ruger take down in the black back pack/w/ 6 25 round mags, a Henry lever .22mag and an AR15 style .22mag (no longer on the market).
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 10:40:22 AM »
How does something like this (or any 'new' model of .22lr) compare to the jam-a-matics of the past?  Better, worse, same?  I've wanted to get my little girl her own semi-auto .22lr for a while now.  I probably should just bite the bullet and get her a new 10/22 (anything used .22lr here in the Albuquerque market is overpriced and often the case of someone unloading their problem gun onto an unsuspecting buyer).

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 11:47:32 AM »
That is a bargain if it runs well. Interesting move on the magazine compatibility by Browning (Winchester). If your direct competition is the 10/22, you may as well tap into its market for magazines and perhaps some of the other accessories.

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 08:05:51 PM »
Hopefully they work out. I put them in 10 day jail yesterday. As the sales person was writing down the serial number he showed me a tool to adjust the trigger pull. Then showed me how to : ) Said he has one. So we shall see soon.. Bought them online and showed up next day. I didn't wanna take a chance of the sale ending.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 12:14:34 PM »
How does something like this (or any 'new' model of .22lr) compare to the jam-a-matics of the past?  Better, worse, same?  I've wanted to get my little girl her own semi-auto .22lr for a while now.  I probably should just bite the bullet and get her a new 10/22 (anything used .22lr here in the Albuquerque market is overpriced and often the case of someone unloading their problem gun onto an unsuspecting buyer).
I guess you are referring to the 1960's version Model 60's? Mine ran fine as long as I used CCI minimag .22lr. Anything else, yes, would jam. The ones I have now have never jammed.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 01:01:36 PM »

I have quite a few semis from various time frames, 40's,50's and 60's Mossbergs, Savage, Marlins, one of Winchester's first semis, most all of them have worked well after a good cleaning. 22lr is a nasty filthy little bugger, and that's why most malfunction, cause people don't clean them. 2 Mossbergs I have can run 22lr or 22shorts.. running either has never been an issue. An old Marlin Model 99, the Model 60s father, eats pretty much any ammo tube after tube, but it hates Thunderbolt ammo.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 01:15:18 PM »
Yeah, the vintage side of me always says a well built gun from the golden age is the only way to go while the pragmatic side of me says to just get the brand new production gun.  dntknw1

In the grand scheme of things, it's not like I'm dropping $1000 here. so maybe it simply doesn't matter.  Just don't want to give her something that I'm not going to happy with I guess. :))

Maybe if KK posts raving reviews I'll look into getting one like him!!  ;)  thumb1

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 11:14:59 PM »
Yeah, the vintage side of me always says a well built gun from the golden age is the only way to go while the pragmatic side of me says to just get the brand new production gun.  dntknw1

In the grand scheme of things, it's not like I'm dropping $1000 here. so maybe it simply doesn't matter.  Just don't want to give her something that I'm not going to happy with I guess. :))

Maybe if KK posts raving reviews I'll look into getting one like him!!  ;)  thumb1

RM...  If faced with this choice, you ALWAYS go old school.  bat1 thumb1

These new rifles are made in Turkey, so for me I'd rather have an old rifle and just clean it up and treasure it.  Yeah maybe it's just a Marlin Model 60, for example, but I'd consider myself a caretaker.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 05:23:12 PM »
Laugh, yeah you are probably right HN, with me vintage wins out 99.5% of the time!  I'll have to beat the bushes around the pawn shops here and see if something catches my eye.

Offline High Noon

• Watching the clock.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 07:25:30 PM »
Laugh, yeah you are probably right HN, with me vintage wins out 99.5% of the time!  I'll have to beat the bushes around the pawn shops here and see if something catches my eye.

I have looked at these online...Savage 93G.  So I'm not totally opposed to buying new.  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 10:26:42 PM »
I have....uhm.... had a Cz452 Scout.. I bought it used for 250.. taught my oldest daughter on it.. needless to say, she has it now..   That was a fun little lightweight and accurate little rifle for beginners.  I think now they have the Cz457 model.. the 452 has been retired...  if I have to or the urge to buy new rimfires comes up... I'll go Cz.      Been looking a .17 machII. I have the HMR..   :)

Or find you a Norinco.. a JW-15..   awesome little bastards.. I now have 3..
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 08:00:51 AM »
I agree with the monkey that the most common reason the 22 malfunctions is lack of cleaning. PITA. And of course we should all be reminded to stay from that filthy nasty Rem Thunderbolt ammo😊