Author Topic: SKS trapdoor issue  (Read 940 times)

Offline combloc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
SKS trapdoor issue
« on: April 24, 2022, 11:59:05 AM »
Having some issues finding a trapdoor that will fit on my stock. The screw hole doesn't line up with the door, and there isn't enough room for it to fit between the buttplate and the stock. The hole on the stock is too narrow for the door to fit even if I could screw it in properly. Is there a specific type of door I have to buy?

Rifle is a 50s norinco for reference

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: SKS trapdoor issue
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 12:12:10 PM »
Wondering if that is for an AK instead of an SKS. Looks like you have another SKS there, can you remove the trapdoor from the other one to compare?

Also, I have an extra trapdoor setup that would blend with that plate I think if you end up needing it.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline combloc

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 12:25:41 PM »
This is where I got it, https://www.sarcoinc.com/sks-buttplate-trapdoor-assembly-new/

and that's the same sks in the background haha I only have one :( I would much rather try to get something that works with the plate that I have but if I end up needing one I will shoot you a message for sure

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
This is where I got it, https://www.sarcoinc.com/sks-buttplate-trapdoor-assembly-new/

and that's the same sks in the background haha I only have one :( I would much rather try to get something that works with the plate that I have but if I end up needing one I will shoot you a message for sure

This is what I have, let me know if you can use any of it then we can go from there.

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 05:43:00 PM »
Sarco lists it as "new" so it may be a recently made part, most likely sourced from a Chinese sweatshop given the low price. In that case, "minor fitting required" may be the missing parenthetical statement I'm sure they meant to add  ;) Trim the edges with a Dremel until it fits or get an original part.

P.S. Norinco didn't exist until 1980, so if it's stamped "Made by Norinco" then it was actually just "sold by Norinco" to get USD for the PLA.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 12:57:26 PM »
I'm surprised that they make one that doesn't fit.  Looks like it needs quite a bit (like 1/8" on a side) to even come close!  Enlarging the hole may help, but you may wind up with a really loose and unacceptable fit too.

In addition to the two options P32 mentioned, you could always try to source a new buttplate in the hopes the trapdoor you have fits.  That probably has a lower probability of success as you have the new variable of the buttplate having to fit the stock you have to meet. 

I'll look through my pile when I get home from TDY and see if I have a spare for you.  thumb1

Offline combloc

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 11:03:46 AM »
Thank you, I'd appreciate that! Yeah as it is it's not even close to being able to fit, that's what lead me to believe there was a slightly different version.

I'm surprised that they make one that doesn't fit.  Looks like it needs quite a bit (like 1/8" on a side) to even come close!  Enlarging the hole may help, but you may wind up with a really loose and unacceptable fit too.

In addition to the two options P32 mentioned, you could always try to source a new buttplate in the hopes the trapdoor you have fits.  That probably has a lower probability of success as you have the new variable of the buttplate having to fit the stock you have to meet. 

I'll look through my pile when I get home from TDY and see if I have a spare for you.  thumb1