Author Topic: MAK-90 needs wood furniture - FOUND, thanks!  (Read 875 times)

Offline GilaMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
MAK-90 needs wood furniture - FOUND, thanks!
« on: February 17, 2022, 08:35:41 AM »
I have a Norinco MAK-90 Sporter acquired about 8 years ago, that has had the original wood furniture replaced with US-made aftermarket composite. I'm interested in finding original Chinese wood for it - either the thumbhole stock, or the straight stock, plus pistol grip.

Anyone know of a source? Or, anyone here who has such wood furniture they'd like to sell?

thanks,
doug

« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 08:46:13 AM by GilaMonster »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: MAK-90 needs wood furniture
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 10:16:34 AM »
I think your best bet is probably over on the AK-Files forums for that. I am always seeing various wood furniture up for sale over there. You can also get your US furniture sold over there. Good luck with your search.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline GilaMonster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 10:38:41 AM »
thanks for the tip!

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 12:13:35 PM »
To add to what Greatguns posted the search function works really well on the AK Files. A ton of stuff gets posted there. Good luck.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 08:50:19 PM »
Ebay sometimes has them, and if you find an Egyptian MISR thumbhole stock, it will fit as well. There were two variants of the MAK90, straight cut and angle cut reciever and I cant remember if the two are interchangeable. Both of mine have straight cut receivers. Most AK stock sets will fit with some mild fitting, one of mine I removed the factory furniture and put a Romanian laminate stock on. I just keep the factory wood to return it to normal.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 06:39:46 AM »
Yeah, you might prepare yourself for if and when you run across some original Chinese AK furniture. It's pricey. Like has already been suggested, using other non-Chinese furniture is a more available and cheaper option. I think the Chinese stamped receivers are just a little thicker, like 1.6mm as opposed to the standard 1.0mm receivers, if I'm remembering correctly. It just takes a little fitting. The trick is slow and easy. The "I'm still cutting and it's still too short" does apply!  chuckles1

I'm trying to think if there were Hungarian stamped receiver AK's imported or if they were all milled. The Hungarian wood was close to resembling Chinese AK wood. Bulgarian stamped were plentiful but the butt stocks have the lightening grooves so they wouldn't match as well. There's a lot of Romanian wood available, much of it is laminated. I guess it depends on how closely you're wanting to stay true to original form?

I'm always amazed at how well the Chinese SPORTER's are holding value. Every time I see one at the gun shows they're well above $1000.00, regardless of condition. Congrats on having one!

firstchoice

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: MAK-90 needs wood furniture - FOUND, thanks!
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 06:25:31 AM »
I see you marked the post as "found" for the furniture you were looking for. What did you end up finding/using? Post up some pics of your finished MAK90 when you can!

firstchoice