Author Topic: Removing a pinned-on muzzle brake?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline gunhorde

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Removing a pinned-on muzzle brake?
« on: April 01, 2021, 11:23:31 PM »
I just picked up a matching, "triangle 0223" arsenal SKS. The bayonet has been removed (I have the original and will be re-installing it), and a pinned-on muzzle brake.

The brake appears to have been fitted with a longer pin tapped through the front sight base.

From what I can tell, all I need to do is drive out the longer ping, remove the brake, cut the pin to the correct shorter length and then re-install it.

Am I missing anything here, or is it really going to be that simple?

I'm not sure if the seller has the original cleaning rod, I may need to pick one of those up online.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: Removing a pinned-on muzzle brake?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 11:55:51 PM »
It really is pretty much that simple.
I have a bunch of cleaning rods....PM me.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 03:53:18 AM »
I keep looking at the barrel length on your SKS. It is a 20" barrel, right?  It may be an optical "delusion" on my part.  ???  It just looks longer. Maybe it's because the bayo and cleaning rod are missing?  dntknw1

firstchoice

Offline teddybear1848

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 08:25:06 AM »
yep really is that simple, unless buddy JB welded the brake before pinning for extra stability. Seen that once or twice...
"Is that actually a bucket of cat litter or is it 7.62 Nato?" - My better half.

Offline gunhorde

• Newber
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 11:00:18 AM »
I keep looking at the barrel length on your SKS. It is a 20" barrel, right?  It may be an optical "delusion" on my part.  ???  It just looks longer. Maybe it's because the bayo and cleaning rod are missing?  dntknw1

firstchoice

The pinned-on brake adds about 1.5" to the length, and it may look different due to the missing bayonet and rod. I'll post photos later today after I've got it back to original configuration.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 03:08:00 PM »
Position and support the rifle over a solid bench block and use a 3/32" nail set to start the pin moving then switch to a regular pin punch and tap out the rest of the way. The pin is 2.5mm diameter or about .098"-.100". If the pin gets ruined a correct diameter finish nail can be used to fabricate a new one,tapering the ends a little and a drop of oil to make starting much easier.

By the way, your rifle will shoot better with the 3 slot brake on in my experience and the cleaning rod can still be mounted with it.ymmv
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.