Author Topic: Headspace. To gauge or not to gauge, that is the question.  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Headspace. To gauge or not to gauge, that is the question.
« on: November 25, 2020, 07:23:40 PM »
A general question.

In my [limited] experience with SKS I just shot them without worrying too much about headspace. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. So far it worked out fine, knock on wood. Now, the two I have are decent looking ones with all matching numbers, maybe that's why.

What's your expert opinion, should one always check for headspace issues with milsurp (SKS in particular) just out of abundance of caution, or is it a potential problem with beaters, mismatched ones, etc? I have a no-go gauge for Mosins, but those are simple and inexpensive. I don't mind paying for it, but if I can avoid it - I'd gladly put the $ toward the new toys...

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
Re: Headspace. To gauge or not to gauge, that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 11:31:23 PM »
I've never headspaced a rifle in my life.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 12:46:36 AM »
I use a Romy go/no-go gage on builds where the bolt isn't from the receiver. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
 The Tilting bolt on the SKS is the last gun you need a headspace gauge for.  Remove the firing pin and extractor. Make sure the chamber is clean. Grab a varied number 4 or 5 new cartridges. Remove the FCG from the receiver. Using only the striped bolt, put a new cartridge in battery and with a feeler gauge set, measure how much space is between the recoil shoulder and recoil edge of the bolt while only the bolt is in battery on a fresh cartridge. You should have about .004 to .008 at the most between the bolt and recoil shoulder in the receiver. Better if at the tighter side of .004 - .006 but heavy use can put these out past .008. Depending on chamber diameter, once you get much past .010 Case bulge will become more prevalent along with backing out primers. Confirm your head space with your different manufactured cartridges. Personally, Gauges have there place obviously, But knowing precisely how far back your cartridge is jumping at light off is the next level of intel on whats going on in front of your bolt. Love the SKS, FAL tilting bolt design.... :)

Offline Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 09:04:48 PM »
Thank you all! Lots of great info!

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 09:31:19 PM »
I love feeler gauges. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798