Author Topic: I dont have a Mauser  (Read 1949 times)

Offline newchi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
I dont have a Mauser
« on: June 19, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
That seems like a bit of an oversight on my part.
But theres so darn many to choose from.  So many variants and countries.
Do any of the registered enablers here have advice or opinions for a guy who just noticed the hole in his collection and isnt prepared to get one of every country crest.  (yet)

I also dont have an Enfield, but thats for later.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: I dont have a Mauser
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what's cheap and available in Canada, or your main interest, shooter or collector, so I'll ramble a bit anyhow  rofl

Assuming you want an inexpensive entry point Mauser that you can shoot, my recommendations (US bias on market values) are:

Czech VZ-24, 250-450 USD: It is a standard length Mauser of the Gewehr 98 (WWI German long barrel rifle), Kar98k lineage. Basically, it's a short rifle of the German K98k configuration, except for the straight bolt, even though it predates the K98k (other minor differences are in handguard length, sling swivel configurations and a stock disc instead of bolt takedown grommet). They are "large ring" "standard length" Mausers, and they have three lugs, like all Gew98 lineage rifles, consisting of two forward locking lugs, one safety lug in the receiver bridge at the rear.  In other words, they're built like a tank. Many VZ-24s are Romanian contract rifles (two letter serial number prefix where the second letter is an "R"), they are often mismatched, often worn bores, so it's best to look at them in person to find one with deep sharp rifling.

Yugoslavian post-WWII Mausers, 250-500USD
M24/52: basically Yugoslavian refurbished VZ-24s (see above for characteristics)
M98/48, aka M98: rebuilt German-surrendered K98k short rifles. As shooters, these are likely better than RC K98ks (see below) but generally all of the German markings have been scrubbed.
M48, M48A, M48B, M48bo: these are “large ring, intermediate length” receiver  short rifles. In other words the receiver length on these and hence the bolt length is shorter than the Gew98, K98k, VZ-24 "large ring, standard length" Mausers. All of the four "models" of the M48 have identical configurations except for more stamped (instead of milled) minor parts (floor plate, trigger guard) and absence of Yugoslavian crest on the receiver ring (bo model).
M24/47: Rebuilt Model 24s, which were the standard Yugoslavian Mauser going into WWII. FN contracted with Yugoslavia to build the Mauser production line at Kragujevac (Zastava). These are where the large ring, intermediate length Mausers came from, since that was the FN standard rifle (Model 24) before WWII. Essentially the same configuration as an M48 except these generally have straight bolts vs. the bent bolts of the newly built M48s.

Russian Capture (RC) K98k, 500-800 USD: After the war, Russia did a massive scale refurbishment program on the millions of surrendered/captured German K98k rifles and stored them away for a non-nuclear WWIII. They disassembled thousands at a time, threw all of the parts in the same bin, dip blued (or sometimes painted) the parts, and reassembled. They are mismatched/force-matched parts guns but they're composed of all genuine German K98k parts. Need to check the bores and probably advisable to check headspace. I think the Yugoslavians were more careful in their refurbishment program to make good shootable rifles. Some have scrubbed the Waffenamt and Eagle markings, some have not. Generally, but not always, have a crossed rifles (X) marking on the receiver ring, shellacked stocks, serial number added horizontally on the left buttstock.

Swedish Mausers; M/96 long rifle ($300-500), M/94 cavalry carbine ($800-1200), M/38 ($350-600) short rifle, 6.5x55mm: Small ring Mauser that is chambered for a cartridge that is a joy to shoot. Very well made beautiful Mausers. These were mostly made in Sweden by Carl Gustafs (state factory) and the purpose-built M/38s manufactured under government contract at private Husqvarna. Early M/94 (carbines) and M/96 long rifles were also made at Mauser Oberndorf. Many M/96 long rifles were later converted to M/38 configuration but retained their original straight bolts. The Husqvarna M/38s were all made with bent bolts. Husqvarna made a few M/96 long rifles ($600+). Some Swedish Mausers are Finnish Army (SA) marked and they also bring a premium.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:17:48 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 07:13:53 PM »
I'd go for a Mauser Broomhandle Red "9" and an Enfield No.2 Mk 1 wink1.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »
That was a quite helpful ramble actually thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 10:27:07 PM »

Glad it was helpful  :) If you have any questions about Mausers you're looking at feel free to ask. I have 60+ Mausers from ~29 countries, and many books, so I have a reasonable familiarity with them, and the resources to check my sometimes sketchy memory  rofl

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 10:38:12 PM »
Hey Phos -
That was a nice , quick down and dirty tutorial for the Mauser rifle.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 08:41:07 AM »

Glad it was helpful  :) If you have any questions about Mausers you're looking at feel free to ask. I have 60+ Mausers from ~29 countries, and many books, so I have a reasonable familiarity with them, and the resources to check my sometimes sketchy memory  rofl

P32, have you been holding out on me?  bat1  I might have to pick your brain in near future.

Online 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »
Get a Swede M-96. You will never regret that purchase. In the right hands it will shoot "silver dollar" patterns at 1,200 yards and beyond. The 6.5x55 is a deadly round. Shoots flat, long and hits hard.
Marcus

There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 04:48:31 PM »
See, thats another thing with Mausers,
First theres various models,
Then theres a zillion countries,
Then theres a few different calibres
You could probably buy 100 and still not have one of everything

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
See, thats another thing with Mausers,
First theres various models,
Then theres a zillion countries,
Then theres a few different calibres
You could probably buy 100 and still not have one of everything

True. You could definitely have 100 and still have only perhaps one-fifth of the Mausers.

For milsurp Mausers, mostly:
8x57mm
7x57mm
7.65x53mm
6.5x55mm
7.62x51mm
.30-06
.22lr

A few less common ones
10.15x63R (early Gew71 and Gew71/84 Mausers)
8x52R Siamese
6.5x53.5R Daudeteau

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 08:21:05 PM »

P32, have you been holding out on me?  bat1  I might have to pick your brain in near future.

rofl  Happy to help  thumb1