Author Topic: Saga of FP replacement  (Read 1584 times)

Offline ArkSlim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Saga of FP replacement
« on: March 11, 2020, 04:05:21 PM »
Watched 4 vidio's on how to replace new spring loaded firing Pin. Looked simple and not requiring much effort! chuckles1. When I started to remove the pin that all the others removed with a small hammer (1 rubber one) and gentle taps the sks evil elf came by. Thought I would need a 9# sledge and a power lifter to get it out. But with much pounding objective was completed. Dawned on me that perhaps it was gummed up but that was not the case actually it was fairly clean. Next guess was that that must have been there since mfg. Did not know these carbines would be so much fun  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Saga of FP replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »
Watched 4 vidio's on how to replace new spring loaded firing Pin. Looked simple and not requiring much effort! chuckles1. When I started to remove the pin that all the others removed with a small hammer (1 rubber one) and gentle taps the sks evil elf came by. Thought I would need a 9# sledge and a power lifter to get it out. But with much pounding objective was completed. Dawned on me that perhaps it was gummed up but that was not the case actually it was fairly clean. Next guess was that that must have been there since mfg. Did not know these carbines would be so much fun  thumb1

Yup, you need a steel hammer, a steel punch and a very firm surface below the bolt. I use a hard block of wood with a drilled out recess for the firing pin retaining pin to drop into atop a solid wood work bench (4x4 and 2x4 construction).

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »
Kind of like this piece of red oak...

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 06:17:21 PM »
+1 for the piece of drilled out wood underneath the bolt. My nightmare is a stuck firing pin, so I periodically tap out the retainer pin to make sure the firing pin channel is clean and bone dry, especially if i shake the bolt and don't hear the pin rattling. I've seen others simply pull out the retainer pin, but mine always takes some coaxing.

I replaced my firing pin a little while ago, but held onto it as a backup. It's stainless with a tiny bit of pitting. The replacement is a dark, almost parkerized kind of steel.

I've thought about going the spring-loaded route, but I know with my luck I'd get something caught in there and foul it up.