Author Topic: Heat gun for Laminate stock cosmoline removal?  (Read 3942 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Heat gun for Laminate stock cosmoline removal?
« on: August 25, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
Will a heat gun cause the laminate layers to separate?

Is there a max heat threshold for laminate stocks?

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: Heat gun for Laminate stock cosmoline removal?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
I would just put it out in the sun.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
I would add more cosmo...  seal it in for good.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:35:06 PM »
I would just put it out in the sun.

Two sessions on the sun already...sealed in a hvy duty black trash bag...in direct sunlight...in rear car window. Stock is still heavy with  cosmo.

I've got Brownells Whiting compound on the way.

Also considering the heat gun route-- lower temp settings.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:37:29 PM »
I would add more cosmo...  seal it in for good.

It's for a PU project. Cheekweld and cosmoline is the exact opposite of what I'm 'aiming' for..

Also: gross.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 10:23:10 PM »

sealed in a hvy duty black trash bag
...in direct sunlight...in rear car window.

Theres your problem, put it on the rear seat so the cosmo can soak away.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:27:46 AM »
NOT in a sealed trash bag is not an option. The wife would murder me if I baked cosmoline into the car upholstery.

In a bag and out of the sunlight. I can try that.

Forgot to mention that i also have the stock wrapped in paper towels to ansorb the grease as it sweats out.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
In my experience, w/o using some kind of degreasing solvent, grease will forever leech out of a stock that acts like this.  When the outer shellac is intact and creates a barrier between the wood and grease you have a chance to clean it up well, but if the shellac has been worn through and grease gets deep into the pores your only options are to live with it being sticky all the time or use some solvents and possibly damage whatever finish is left.  dntknw1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
Time and patience help alot, it is a slow process, I've had some that spent a month in the sun and another month in the heat of an attic. When in the attic, I had it wrapped in a Pig mat, a mat designed specifically to absorb oils/greases, and yet to this day, it will still ooze and get slimy when real hot. Brownells Whiting compound is pretty much a powder that absorbs oil, basically a surface treatment, it won't get down in the guts of wood, most paint/wood furniture places have a form of it. Murphys oil soap and damp hot rags or even a lemon/orange oil can help remove the oil and crap and not alter the wood color or finish, if nothing else it might smell better while your face is plastered next to it.

I've seen people get impatient and use EasyOff, Purple Power, even Oxalic Acid, all these do is either bleach the wood or burn the wood due to caustic chemicals which alters the appearance and wood coloration, and I have no idea how those would affect laminate or glue. Something like wipe downs with Simple Green would be an alternative to those harsher chemicals as well.

I would sweat the worst out, sun, attic, car, heat gun.... then start wiping down with Murphys oil soap/lemon/orange oils and wiping dry. Eventually it will really slow down the weeping and oozing, but, under the right circumstances it will ooze a little, besides..... a little grease never hurt nobody. :)
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 01:47:43 PM »
This is one I remember I had photos of.. a Yugo K98.  This thing sweat like a who** in church, maybe the worst I have encountered, it was a oil slick that fired bullets..

First day home from purchase...maybe 5 minutes in a little sunshine..

Same rifle after 2 months of heating, (Edit) actually I tried new method on this one...Goop creamy(no pumice) hand cleaner on this one, it cleans my grungy arse hands after being in diesel engine guts. I slathered it on and lightly scrubbed it with a soft bristle brush, let it sit and then wiped it down and repeated a few times, I finished it off with a few wipe downs with lemon oil to kill the smell of Goop hand cleaner. It can now withstand some heat for quite a while before seeping, mainly in the wrist/action area, but, it will still seep if given the opportunity. I just keep wiping it down when it does.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:01:53 PM by Greasemonkey »

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »
GM, is that mauser in a laminate stock?

My direct sun options are extremely limited because we live in an apartment building right now-- with   a good helping of gun fearing/anti-2A neighbors. Garbage bag in the back of the car covered is the most I care to risk w/r/t nosy neighbors.

My heat gun has 12 settings between 350*F and 1200*F.  So I think I'm gonna go that route (lowest settings) coupled with the whiting compound.

Ever used your heat gun on laminate?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »
Yup, thats a German laminate stock

350 might be tad warm, I tried something similar with a decent sized space heater, the grease stated to bubble, smoke and stink. Apparently, the storage grease doesn't have a very high temp tolerance, I would guess maybe boiling water would soften and remove it. Being in an apartment, it could be quite exciting when the smoke detectors go off. That was on a typical hard wood stock I tried heat, I would have no clue on the temperature tolerance of the glue in a laminate stock, especially since it's old school adhesives, like the grease, may also not be high temperature tolerant.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »
when ive heated the small parts in the oven 180 makes it flow just fine so i guess keep the heat gun moving if thats the way you end up going.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 10:01:01 PM »
Typo above. Lowest heat gun setting is 150 degrees F.

I have done exactly one oven treatment. Yugo m59 refurb. I did it while the wifey was out of town, and I caught Hell for 6 months until the cosmoline smell finally cooked out. With the proper fans-to-open-windows ratio, the smoke detectors were a non-factor. It goes without saying, I can never again use the oven to clean cosmoline out of a greasy stock.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 12:03:42 AM »
Laff. Your wife has about the same cosmo smell tolerance as mine.  Ask me why my gorgeous ceremonial yugo crate is in the garage instead of nicely displayed in the house!  dance2

If you keep the heat gun moving on low you'll be ok. Might take forever but you'll be ok.  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 12:25:41 AM »
Wish they made storage grease that smelled like...........lavender, fresh linen or cinnamon apple, then, we could use the excuse of... Hey honey, we need a new air freshener, lets try arctic pine.  thumb1

Thank goodness for man caves  :) I can make nice big stinks and enjoy the fruits of my labor..like huffing exhaust, carb and brake cleaners, spilling gas and diesel all over myself, smoke from welding, cutting and cigarettes, even the occasional funky Chinese food with chocolate milkshakes.  fart1

Ovens.. rofl

Real men use the dishwasher............................................................at least once :o

Just don't, like her toothbrush, it's sacred. thumb1