Author Topic: (Pics Fixed) Question about strange magazine wear  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
(Pics Fixed) Question about strange magazine wear
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:50 PM »
I picked up my first Chinese SKS a couple of months ago.  My internet research based on the serial number is it's a late 60's model.  That doesn't really matter.  So, I guess it was owned by Bubba at some point.  I don't know how it came to have the scope on it, but that's not the purpose of the post.  The previous owner (I think) did the 30 round magazine thing and I'm more interested in the originality of the gun.  I'll probably pick up an AK at some point for a larger magazine 7.62x39.

Switching back to the original mag I noticed some (quite a bit) wear on the back of the mag.  It was causing the magazine to sag out a little and sometimes affected the bolt moving forward.  I've bought another mag on e-bay and it fits well and resolved my issue, but I haven't shot it yet.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same issue or maybe the old one wasn't put in properly?

Anyone ever seen this before?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:22:39 PM by Zeke »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Question about strange magazine wear
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 01:47:55 PM »
Welcome to the boards!

Here are your two photos (Google doesn't typically allow direct in-line linking with the links they give you, but it can be done):

(photos now shown above)

It looks like you lost the mag body catch that the trigger group latches onto.  I don't think that is wear, someone tried to grind that sucker off.  They even cracked a portion of the back rib off as well.  Probably bubba trying to turn the magazine into a quick detach or something.  No bueno for certain.

At this point you have to run some kind of non matching mag (whether it's your replacement or a tapco duckbill, or get a magazine adapter and run duckbill-less AR mags).   If having matching numbers is important to you, I think you can salvage the matching cover off the ruined mag and swap it onto your new magazine.  There is a single rivet that holds that cover in place along with the follower. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:07:23 PM by running-man »

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: Question about strange magazine wear
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
Welcome to the boards!

Here are your two photos (Google doesn't typically allow direct in-line linking with the links they give you, but it can be done):

It looks like you lost the mag body catch that the trigger group latches onto.  I don't think that is wear, someone tried to grind that sucker off.  They even cracked a portion of the back rib off as well.  Probably bubba trying to turn the magazine into a quick detach or something.  No bueno for certain.

At this point you have to run some kind of non matching mag (whether it's your replacement or a tapco duckbill, or get a magazine adapter and run duckbill-less AR mags).   If having matching numbers is important to you, I think you can salvage the matching cover off the ruined mag and swap it onto your new magazine.  There is a single rivet that holds that cover in place along with the follower.

I agree that it looked filed, but I couldn't come up with a reason why anyone would do it.  I guess your theory about making it quick detach is plausible...as dumb of an idea as it seems - those people do walk among us. 

I've put my replacement, non-matching (serial #) mag in there now.  While it's mine, I'm not concerned with the serial numbers.  I've kept my original and if I ever part with it , and if I think it matters at the time, I'll look at swapping the bottom half of them. 

I really just wanted to make sure there wasn't something that I might need to address so I don't mess up the new(er) one.  I guess I'll fire 50 rounds through it and pull it back out to see if I see any wear marks.  Thanks for the reply.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: (Pics Fixed) Question about strange magazine wear
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »
Or just use the inner part of the good mag and the outer part of your serialed mag.