Author Topic: [0148] or /??\ - I'll leave this one right here too  (Read 1677 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
[0148] or /??\ - I'll leave this one right here too
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »
Another interesting find on GB.  This one has an odd, short S/N: 6 digits giving two digits for the year code and 4 digits for the rolling number (last digit is a 0 not a "C" as evidenced by the receiver cover).  That's about as short as you'll see on a late gun.  What's more interesting is the obvious refurbishment of this gun.  The arsenal stamp is clearly stamped over a scrubbed triangle arsenal stamp.  The piece parts all show various signs of scrubbing or outright mismatching, and the entire gun has the 'chalky' look of something that has been either poorly painted or dipped in the oxide tank w/o much care taken to clean things super well before hand.  (I typically see this when a piece of aluminum has been anodized, then stripped and anodized a second time.  Zinc plating on steel does this as well as prep is exceptionally important on non-virgin surfaces.)  Either paint or re-oxide it looks like total crap.  This gun makes some of the cruddy DP/DB's look well made!  You can't even read the RSL text for goodness sake!!

Anywhoo, thought I'd share and see what you guys thought: