Author Topic: Grandpas Workshop Musket  (Read 6677 times)

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Grandpas Workshop Musket
« on: April 08, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »
I built this rifle from a kit back in the 80s with my Pawpaw. My grandfather was a ww2 USMC Iwo Jima vet who enjoyed woodworking, and I was lucky enough to spend alot of time with him learning. The musket is a 45cal percussion cap....  I shot it a few times back in the day, but its been stored away for a good 20+ years.   Just dug it out for a little show/tell.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:21:29 AM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Grandpas Workshop
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:53:34 PM »
Good bloody job mate.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:58:05 AM »
Thanks for sharing that with us man. Awesome all around.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
LC, I also built one of the CVA kits back in the seventies when I was probably thirteen years old.  Mine cost one dollar per caliber -- forty five bucks.  It taught me a lot, and I kept on it for several years, improving the mistakes I made when I was a kid. 

Those kits actually improved over the years to where they were right up there with the Thompson Center kits and rifles.  Don't hear much about them anymore.  I sure got a lot of education for the $45 bucks I spent. chuckles1  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:58 AM »
Thats exactly hiw old I was, and that was 25 years ago.  :o

I remember the wood being twice the size it ended up being and getting it to be the same exact contours as the metal components was a nightmare.   chuckles1

It was like a 2x4 in a box that was roughly inleted.   ???

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
Re: Grandpas Workshop Musket
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 11:43:57 PM »

It was like a 2x4 in a box that was roughly inleted.   ???

Yeah, mine was like a warped 2x4.  Also the rifling was so rough that after one shot it was fouled so bad that ya couldn't load another ball.  I scrubbed the hell out of it with valve grind compound and smoothed it up to where I could shoot all day. By all rights accuracy should have been terrible, but it shot about as good as our SKS's.  jd
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Re: Grandpas Workshop Musket
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 02:19:44 AM »
Now there is one to be proud of, built in collaboration with a true American Hero...it don't get any better than that L}{C! I also have had a black powder rifle and revolver, they are a heckuva lot of fun. The "charcoal burners" are crude by today's standards but still a force to be reckoned with in the hands of an accomplished shooter.

You and that ol' Gyrene did a danged good job with this one!