Author Topic: Formerly WaffenWorks now DDI AK-74  (Read 7873 times)

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
Formerly WaffenWorks now DDI AK-74
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:44:32 AM »
Classic has had these for sale at $499 and I cannot find anything that beats that price.  I have been craving a 5.45x39 for a while, but they seemed to have disappeared the past year (except pricey Arsenal).  I want to see if I like the platform before buying an Arsenal.  Anyone have actual experience with one of the DDI AK-74s? 

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
Re: Formerly WaffenWorks now DDI AK-74
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
The reviews are almost overwhelmingly positive, so I ordered one.  Will let you know how she looks. 

The furniture is the gamble.  Some get new perfect furniture.  Some get rough and mismatched.  At this price, you get what you get.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »
Sorry I dont have any input on this gun/vender k9....  sure looking forward to its arrival though!   Let us know your thoughts when she arrives, and show that puppy off.  thumb1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 12:12:20 AM »
Yup.  The big question for me is furniture.  I assume it will be ugly, scratched, and mismatched.  So, leave her as is or refinish or buy new? 

I guess I just cannot wait to have her!

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 09:07:55 AM »
Waffenworks use to have a good rep, their older 7.62x54r guns work great. My great uncle who is a pretty damn good gunsmith owns one and loves it, it's one gun he says he will never part with.

Waffenworks lost their good name when they started to build real' tight tolerance rifles. What many fail to understan is Ak's need to be a bit loose, it's how they work. Well, WW failed to realize that and/or went to building really tight rifles, so I hear.

I don't know of all the failures associated, but there were many reported. Since then many people have steered clear of WW, almost as much as IO Ak's.

Some work great, some just don't. I would imagine the majority work fine, and hopefully WW (DDI now) has begun to up their game, I would imagine so.

Take my words lightly. I've owned about a dozen AK's now, so I've been in "the crowd" since I turned 18. My first rifle was an Ak, but I've never owned a DDI or WW, I have just heard both good and bad stories.

But just like IO, my buddy recently bought one without me advising him, and yet the gun works fine.

Please report back when you get her!

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 01:36:42 PM »
Agreed.  It was a risk.  However, the AK-74s seemed to just disappear from the marketplace.  I waited around too long, I guess.

It seems strange to look around and see few N-PAP, SKS, Mosin Nagant, CZ, and AK-74 for sale (new, not used on GB).  O-PAP is just gone.  They all used to be cheaper and more available. Even the WASR that sold for $499 everywhere is now $100 more expensive.  A year makes a difference.

When the SKS prices dropped to reasonable levels, I jumped on it.  I never thought I would see the day that a Mosin 91/30 would be so pricey and hard to find. 

So, fearing the cheap AK-74 had gone the way of the O-PAP, I decided to go for it.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »
Na man, I definately hear ya, if I was in the market I probably would have done the same thing. Just wanted to share what I've heard.

Hope she's straight & true for ya, I gotta feeling it will be  thumb1

Gun prices have gone crazy in my opinion. OPAP's were jumped on and yep, gone. WASR's are nice, especially the new ones, but $599 + shipping + transfer fees just make it not worth it unless you can find them in store.

Just dont buy guns at Dunhams. $800 for WASRs and $220 for a 91/30 right now. Sad.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
Agreed!  If I had waited a few hours longer, my Saiga AK would have been overpriced or out of stock.  Waited a few months, the WASR and VZ prices and availability would have been out of reach.  I haven't really been mad about jumping on a good deal when my gut says "this may be the last chance" but I have been upset to find no "fill_in_the_blank" available when I could have got one. 

And "fill_in_the_blank" could mean SKS, WASR, CZ, VZ, Mosin, O-PAP, etc when they were plentiful and cheap.  Amazing how fast prices rose and 'sold out' became normal in the past year.   

Maybe some are holding stock back for panic pricing in 2016?  Waiting for the candidates to make gun control promises that they won't keep but will garner votes?  A lot of cool stuff just seemed to disappear all at once this year.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 02:12:03 AM »
It finally shipped Friday.  Hope to get her in next week.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 02:31:35 AM »
Picked her up today. 

I expected the worst after reading about what some guys received.  When I went in, I mentioned to the FFL that I expected to receive a beat up, scratched up so-and-so.  He looked at me and said I had better look at it to make sure it was what I ordered.  First time he has ever said that to me.  I realized why when I unwrapped it.  No canted front sight, zig-zag brake, nice wood stock set, and all.  Minimal mag wobble with the included Tapco mag.

I re-read some reviews looking for serial number vs issue, and mine is in the same range as others who reported receiving a beauty with zero FTE or FTF.  Hopefully my luck will hold out. 

I don't think I will even refinish the wood.  I might put some tung oil on it, though.  Seems like it might scratch easily.  I had already planned how to make the (expected) beat up wood look better, but I don't think that is necessary. 

I ordered some Bulgarian mags for her.  Next stop... range.  All in all, I am very happy with my $499 lotto ticket!

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 03:49:04 AM »
 thumb1 Congrats man,  I would take that lotto ticket any day. Gorgeous stock and finish.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline K-9

• Beaucoup dien cai dau
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Save a Life. Adopt.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 03:56:49 AM »
Funny thing.... I was expecting a beat up 74 and had already planned out my refinishing work.  I was elated to see the zig-zag brake and that it was in fine shape.  I was almost disappointed that I wouldn't be making it Russian Red. 

This is my first AK-74.  It is very different than the WASR and Saiga. 

Do you think tung oil is necessary?  It looks nice, and I don't have a reason to refinish it (unless I get bored some day).

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
Funny thing.... I was expecting a beat up 74 and had already planned out my refinishing work.  I was elated to see the zig-zag brake and that it was in fine shape.  I was almost disappointed that I wouldn't be making it Russian Red. 

This is my first AK-74.  It is very different than the WASR and Saiga. 

Do you think tung oil is necessary?  It looks nice, and I don't have a reason to refinish it (unless I get bored some day).

From my understanding ddi even took all the crappy waffen works rifles when they first opened up shop from nearly all the customers who had problems and repaired them to run like champs. They apparently stand behind their current product as well from what i understand!