Author Topic: Yugo M59/66 Has Arrived  (Read 2241 times)

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
Yugo M59/66 Has Arrived
« on: May 07, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
Picked up my Yugo M59/66 from the recieving ffl this morning.  All external numbers appear to be matching including the stock.  It is still slathered in cosmoline/packing grease so I have not disassembled it yet for futher examination.  By the serial number I am guessing it was made in 1971 and was imported by R.W. Arms in Redmond, WA. 

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
Re: Yugo M59/66 Has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »
Stimulus money well spent!!!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 12:41:11 PM »
Looks great! Congratulations  thumb1

BTW it's PW Arms, probably a scratch that makes it look like an R  :)

The 1971 year is correct. Those serial ranges and years were based on data from the corresponding matching log book that used to come with some M59/66s and M59/66-A1s. Withergyld collected and compiled that data.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071105194209/http://yugosks.net/Survey%20Results.htm

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 03:49:34 PM »
I looked at it again and I believe you are correct on the importer Phosphorus32.  I think because of the grease it made it look like RW instead of PW.  Has anyone ever seen or come across inert/dummy grenades for these and if so, are they available and how expensive are they?

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
looking good (where did you get it from?).  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 05:17:36 PM »
Occasionally inert grenades are to be had on GB.  They accept the standard 22mm. 

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »
looking good (where did you get it from?).  thumb1
Bought it from a private seller on another forum. 

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 05:38:27 PM »
Occasionally inert grenades are to be had on GB.  They accept the standard 22mm.
Thanks for the info, I will check that out!   thumb1

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 02:43:06 AM »
I looked at it again and I believe you are correct on the importer Phosphorus32.  I think because of the grease it made it look like RW instead of PW.  Has anyone ever seen or come across inert/dummy grenades for these and if so, are they available and how expensive are they?

Some of the last "good ones" that I bought were through a guy in Serbia that exported them to the US per your paid order. The Yugoslav M68 Practice Grenade.

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191977&highlight=fenik%27s+AK47

He hasn't been active on that board since 2017, though. I'd heard he also sold them on eBay but I've never tracked him down via that route. I was very satisfied with my orders through Goran at fenik's AK47. They were about $50-$60.00 each, if I remember correctly.

Through the years, I've been able to purchase two varieties of the US M31 .30cal Practice Rifle Grenades. They're all metal with metal fins, so repeated use will eventually ding them up pretty good. They were developed and used first on the M1 Garands and then later on the M14's. I was surprised to learn that the M31 Rifle Grenade could penetrate 10 inches of armor!  :o  Not bad for WW2-Korea tech.

I was able to pick up a few of the Isreali-made practice grenades made for 22mm applications. I figure they were for their FAL's or maybe something newer in their arsenals that also used the 22mm spigots. I was lucky in that buy because the seller loaded me up with all sorts of extra fins, tubes, and small parts for repair due to use. I don't have a designation for those because the lettering is all in Hebrew.

The Yugoslav M68 practice grenades were ideal for me because they were actually used on the M59/66's. I especially liked the Yugo practice grenades because the guy selling them also offered extra fins and small parts to repair any "practice damage" that always seems to happen if you use them like we want to...over and over.

There are other types of practice rifle grenades available. Some that are all-rubber construction. Some, that use the old US pineapple practice hand grenades in a separate launcher apparatus. I tended to want the original "designed for this rifle" type stuff. If nothing else, for the great looks it gives the rifle.  chuckles1

I need to take pics of these different types for questions like these but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm sure your google-fu will dredge up some pics of each for better explanation.

firstchoice 

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 04:15:52 AM »
A few pics I pulled from the web...

The Isreali practice grenade and tube it came in, on top, with the Yugoslav M68 practice grenade on bottom.

The Isreali practice grenade with it's extra parts...

The US M31 Practice Grenade...

And the rubber dummy practice grenades that are marketed by Service of Supply...

This is the old US M1A2 Grenade Adapter...

I'll take some "group photos" some time and post them up. Hope this helps.

firstchoice

Offline astronut

• Marksman
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 08:02:55 AM »
Thanks for posting up the info and the pics on those firstchoice!   thumb1  If I could find an original inert one for the Yugo M59/66, I would not mind having one just for display purposes if they were not too pricey.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »
Good stuff!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7