Author Topic: The tale of two Underwoods  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
The tale of two Underwoods
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »
Some people like to get all the accessories for their suplus rifles, but this takes it to a new level. ;D  I got a call sometime back from my father who was service manager, now retired, for a local office equipment dealer, Cannon, IBM etc. He told me to bring my M1 Carbines over, as he had something special. He had a Underwood Type 6 typewriter It's roughly the same circa as my Underwood M1 Carbine, the Carbine is barrel dated 11-43, he estimates the typewriter is a prewar or possibly made at the very beginning of World War 2. This would have been close to what office equipment the military would have been using during the time frame.

The first models according to him had glass key buttons, later models use matte type buttons and share the same mechanism as the Champion model. The Champion model made Underwood victor in 26 World's Typewriter Championships in the 27 years of competition. The Underwood typewriter needs a little TLC, but all the keys work, and even the bell still dings, the carriage returns normally, and in good working condition command a fairly hefty price tag.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
Re: The tale of two Underwoods
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »
Believe it or not, I wrote 95% of my papers in school on a typewriter  ;D
Computers blow.

I love all of the civilian companies turned gun manufacturers during the war. That's capitalism and patriotism in one sweet package. I don't know if this is generally accepted, but all of the Rockola, IHC, Postal Meter, Quality Hardware etc. M1s & carbines I've had have been a wee bit sloppier than the ones coming from bona fide gun manufacturers. Never had an Underwood to fondle though.

I still love Rockola though. I want the jukebox accessory to complement my carbine!
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
You could always go hog wild, Get an Eddystone M1917 Enfield and a Baldwin steam locomotive to match :D

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »
That's awesome GM, those carbines were an admirable piece of work in my book. Speaking of typewriters I had a Smith-Corona '03-A3 in immaculate condition that I lost in a house fire in 1988 along with a Springfield Garand and a British Jungle Carbine. I still nearly cry when I think of those guns!

That's a sharp looking Carbine, do you shoot it?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:26 PM »
That's a cool pairing.  I can picture a clerk in Bastogne using one Underwood for requisitioning cold weather clothing while the other Underwood stood at the read in the corner.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »
I have considered trying the I.B.M. angle as well as Smith Corona.  I've got a '51 I.H.C Cub tractor, I just need a matching Garand chuckles1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
I definitely like the tractor or the juke box idea...a postal meter isn't quite as appealing   ;)

Thinking about the subject more broadly...it's amazing how quickly and completely US industrial might was mobilized to war time production of military munitions, arms and equipment.  For example, total automobile production was 1.14 million in 1942...and 0 for civilian sales in 1943-45.